Old 02-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 181/150/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Can't stop thinking about food!

So I've been on IP a good week now, and for the most part it's been good. For the first half of the week I really didn't feel like eating and everything was fine. But the last couple of days all I can do is think about food! And not just regular food (I only had a dream about cheese nips once! ) but I think about what I can eat at my next meal and how it can be prepared and at what time I can eat.... and I think about my snack at lengths! I don't think I'm overly hungry - yes, I can eat, but that's why I'm on IP in the first place.

But I meal-plan each weekend so I have all the necessary ingredients in the house so it's not like I'm wondering what I can scrounge up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Does it go away?

And I thought if I'm in ketosis I wouldn't be hungry?

PLUS! my weight hasn't changed over the past half week.

Am I doing something wrong? (the only "cheat" I've done was one day I had an extra shake and today I had the collagen drink). I've also had a couple glasses of MIO this week. My coach says it's ok, but that some people have had issues with it. Could this be the issue?
JanMarie40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:27 PM   #2  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I went through the exact same thing. Was constantly thinking about what I was going to make next. It wasn't that I was hungry, just thinking about it. I looked at it as a good thing, annoying, but not horrible. I figured it was better to be planning ahead than going through the fridge or pantry when I got hungry, looking for whatever I could eat. I was such a grazer before and would constantly be going for a handful of crackers or nuts, grabbing a piece of fruit. So IP was a definite change to eating 4 meals at pretty much set times. It does get better.
jendilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:29 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanMarie40 View Post
So I've been on IP a good week now, and for the most part it's been good. For the first half of the week I really didn't feel like eating and everything was fine. But the last couple of days all I can do is think about food! And not just regular food (I only had a dream about cheese nips once! ) but I think about what I can eat at my next meal and how it can be prepared and at what time I can eat.... and I think about my snack at lengths! I don't think I'm overly hungry - yes, I can eat, but that's why I'm on IP in the first place.

But I meal-plan each weekend so I have all the necessary ingredients in the house so it's not like I'm wondering what I can scrounge up.

Does anyone else have experience with this? Does it go away?

And I thought if I'm in ketosis I wouldn't be hungry?

PLUS! my weight hasn't changed over the past half week.

Am I doing something wrong? (the only "cheat" I've done was one day I had an extra shake and today I had the collagen drink). I've also had a couple glasses of MIO this week. My coach says it's ok, but that some people have had issues with it. Could this be the issue?
We got so used to eating whatever we wanted whenever we wanted it, our bodies are rebelling! You're going to have to find something to keep yourself occupied. Bring out an old hobby or take up a new one. Something to occupy your mind.

Ketosis removes most true hunger for me but not boredom or just "wanting" to eat.
You're not going to lose a little every day. Weight comes off in spurts. Either stay off the scale between WIs or learn to view it neutrally.

Mio does cause stall for some people. I use it occasionally. Mostly if I'm going to be in a social situation where others will be drinking alcohol.

Last edited by lisa32989; 02-09-2014 at 05:30 PM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:41 PM   #4  

OMG thank you jendilly and lisa!! That's totally it - I'm so used to eating all day whatever I want and I never really thought about how much I actually ate until now. Oops. LOL. I think that's where I have the hardest time deciding about when to snack: am I just wanting something, or am I truly hungry for my IP snack?

And lisa, I think I'll just stay off the scales between WIs. Is there something else you like to drink that doesn't seem to stall weight loss, besides water? I like water, but I just want some TASTE now and again and herbal tea doesn't cut it always.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 138/138/130

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
….And lisa, I think I'll just stay off the scales between WIs. Is there something else you like to drink that doesn't seem to stall weight loss, besides water? I like water, but I just want some TASTE now and again and herbal tea doesn't cut it always.

I drink Zero Vitamin Water and Zevia Ginger Ale (my ND says to watch the amount of Vitamin Water, but enjoy the Zevia as much as I want.)
SlimmerBySummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:51 PM   #6  
Started IP 12/26/13

S/C/G: 205.6/171.2/145

Height: 5'6"

I use the MIO (actually a generic brand) a lot, and have tried to taper back. Try flavoring your water naturally. Lemon, lime, cucumbers, mint all work well. There are lots of different things you can try to add to it that will alter the taste enough to make it interesting. Make a pitcher of your favorite in the morning and then drink that all throughout the day.
jendilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #7  

Great tips! Thanks SlimmerbySummer and Jendilly! I've never heard of Zevia Ginger Ale but I'll look for it. I've tried water with lemon and I do like that, but I haven't tried the others yet! Otherwise 3 months + is going to be a looong time.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:08 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 214/163/150

Height: 5'6" (a little less)

I don't even have a scale at home!! haha. Maybe that's what caused my problem in the first place...not weighing myself...I do plan on being accountable once I'm in maintenance. I actually have taken my scale to work and left it there. Where I really am not going to take the time to weigh myself. A thought?
Sheriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriously View Post
I don't even have a scale at home!! haha. Maybe that's what caused my problem in the first place...not weighing myself...I do plan on being accountable once I'm in maintenance. I actually have taken my scale to work and left it there. Where I really am not going to take the time to weigh myself. A thought?
That's funny! It's definitely hard to resist checking up on myself between WIs but I'll just tuck my scale under the shelves and ignore it.

Do you plan on WI at work during maintenance? I know some people join WW just for their weekly WIs and to be accountable to someone other than themselves. I might do that when I'm done, but we'll see.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #10  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Strong brewing herbal decaf flavored teas and adding them to your water is also a good way to flavor them.
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 187.7/158.2/150

Height: 5'6''

My clinic recommends water flavored with chlorophyll. I find that it tastes a little minty, but apparently there are so many benefits associated with drinking chlorophyll. Brand that they carry is Nature's Sunshine chlorophyll.
kontesanera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 214/163/150

Height: 5'6" (a little less)

Quote:
That's funny! It's definitely hard to resist checking up on myself between WIs but I'll just tuck my scale under the shelves and ignore it.

Do you plan on WI at work during maintenance? I know some people join WW just for their weekly WIs and to be accountable to someone other than themselves. I might do that when I'm done, but we'll see.

I don't know yet what I'll do. I guess I should give it some thought. I could also stick it in the trunk of my car and have my HUSBAND weigh me once a week. How's that for accountability?
Sheriously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #13  

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all the suggestions! I'm so glad to have found this forum!
Old 02-09-2014, 06:35 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriously View Post
I don't know yet what I'll do. I guess I should give it some thought. I could also stick it in the trunk of my car and have my HUSBAND weigh me once a week. How's that for accountability?
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/177/175

I think to SOME degree it is actually a good thing to think about upcoming meals and planning what you will have. Most of us ate not only whenever we wanted, but probably ate whatever we wanted AND did so without even thinking about it or noticing that we were eating.

IP teaches you to be consciously aware of all aspects of our food and eating habits. We NEED to be fully aware of what we are eating and how we are preparing it... AND we should stay fully aware as we eat so we don't revert to mindless eating, which likely got us here in the first place.

Obsessing - not good. Planning and thinking about upcoming meals - a good thing!!

Last edited by JLUS; 02-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.
JLUS is offline   Reply With Quote