Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 146/138/125

Height: 5'5

Default Protein Powders/ Meal Replacements

Hey all!
Just wondering if anyone has come across a good protein shake powder or meal replacement powder that doesn't contain artificial sweetener but also isn't too high in sugar and of course, tastes great.

I've been hunting for a long time but everything that is supposed to taste good always seems to be loaded with sweetener which I really don't like and it bothers my tummy.

Thanks!
Ash15+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #2  
It is what it is...

I don't have a suggestion, but have been looking for the exact same...looking forward to the replies
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

I recently tried About Time protein powder. It's pretty good. It does have Stevia - not sure where that would fall on the spectrum of artificial sweeteners. I absolutely can't tolerate sucralose, aspartame, saccharin, but so far have had no bad reactions to the stevia.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #4  

I find I can always taste the Stevia, do you feel like you taste it fadedbluejeans?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:25 AM   #5  
Pink Leopard Power

S/C/G: 351.2/ticker/185

Height: 6'0

Well I think it might have sucralose, but I love Click espresso protein powder. I mix it with unsweetened almond milk in the morning. It's definitely yummy - no UCK taste.
JollyGreenSteen19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash15+ View Post
I find I can always taste the Stevia, do you feel like you taste it fadedbluejeans?
thought I replied to this yesterday, but don't see it...
I can taste the stevia when I just mix the protein powder in unsweetened almond milk, but it isn't overpowering. If I make a real shake, with banana, chia, etc in addition to the protein powder, I don't taste the stevia at all.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have fallen in love with plain, unflavored, cold processed (meaning filtered rather than cooked) whey protein isolate. It dissolves easily and quickly in most liquids; has a very mild, milky flavor; andnd you can add as much or as little of any sweetener you like.

Cold process whey protein also doesn't clump unless the liquid you add it to is too hot. If it's too hot to drink, it could clump. So if you mind clumps, let hot liquids cool before stirring in the protein powder).

There are other names for the cold process:

Undenatured (because heating denatures the proteins)
Cold-filtered
Microfilteted
Instant-mixing

To make matters more confusing, some makers do not use any of these terms. Quick-mixing or quick-dissolving might be cold-process and might not. Some reference a "secret" formula or process that results in an better tasting and mixing protein. The "secret" really isn't secret, it's just cold-processing.

If you can find a local cheesemaker, you can often get a deal (unfortunately if you need it shipped, it's usually cheaper to find a national brand online, such as Syntrax Medical).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
...it's usually cheaper to find a national brand online, such as Syntrax Medical).
Thanks for this! It is exactly what I have been looking for! I would much rather put in my own flavor and/or sweetener.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedbluejeans View Post
Thanks for this! It is exactly what I have been looking for! I would much rather put in my own flavor and/or sweetener.
Me too! thanks so much!
Old 10-10-2013, 02:11 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedbluejeans View Post
I also wanted to mention that unflavored whey proteins (especially the cold filteted) allow you to "think outside of the {shake} box," for your meals and meal replacement options.

Without the flavors and sweeteners, you can add it to all sorts of things. Some of my favorites

Half a scoop, stirred into a bowl of tomato soup
Half a scoop, sirred into a cup of hot cocoa
Up to one scoop, stirred into any beverage - skim milk, sugar free lemonade, light juice or Crystal Light.

Half a scoop, mixed with a 1/4 cup of instant mashed potato flakes. Add water, skim milk, or almond milk to make a pancake batter (add more liquid for a tortilla or crepe batter).

It takes a few tries to get the pancakes perfect. So your first ones may be a bit dry. The secret is in taking them out of the pan just a few seconds before they're completely done so they'll "finish" cooking as they cool.

If you want a "potato pancake" add grated onion and a very small baby red or baby yukon, grated or even better grated cauliflower

These also make nice "buns," breads, and tortillas for sandwhiches and wraps.

Yesterday I even added a scoop to the cheese filling when I made a low calorie spaghetti pie/lasagna type dish (250 calories per serving). The filling was made with cottage cheese, ricotta, egg, and the protein powder. The heat doesn't hurt because the filling prevents (or maybe just disguises) any clumps.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #11  

I also wanted to say that even though plain proteins seem much more expensive, they're usually a much better value than they appear.

Flavorings, sweeteners, and fillers are CHEAP in comparison to the actual protein, so when you buy flavored products you're paying mostly for the cheap filler.

Microfiltered is even more expensive, but the taste and texture is so far from that of heat processed whey it's like comparing an overcooked hotdog to a perfectly cooked steak.

There's nothing wrong with conventional whey isolates if you like them, but the cold process whey protein isolates are much more versatile.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #12  

Thanks Kaplods. FYI everyone, About Time whey protein isolate is also cold filtered, but they don't seem to have an unflavored option.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:35 PM   #13  

Default Meal replacement shakes

I want to kick start my losing weight by using meal replacement shakes for several meals for short length of time....any opinions on best tasting shakes....anyone tried Ensure or Glucerna, etc?
KayBee01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #14  
GmaTo8

Premium Protein is my favorite! 30 gr. of protein, 4 carbs. Found them at SAMs club.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:50 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane View Post
Premium Protein is my favorite! 30 gr. of protein, 4 carbs. Found them at SAMs club.
I could only find Premier protein shakes....would they be the same ?
KayBee01 is offline   Reply With Quote