South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:33 AM   #1  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Default Considering starting SBD...

Hi! I'm Shannon. I'm 26, I work nights and have lost about 30 pounds using IF and calorie counting. But lately I've felt like I could be doing something different that could help me out more. Plus I have been creeping up on the sugary, empty calories lately.

I just read the first book and I read gluten solution last year. I like the layout of the gluten solution good foods but I am not sure about the details from the regular version. Is it mostly the same? Maybe the original book is a first printing (I got it from a second hand store). If I am not following gluten solution version, can I have teriyaki sauce? I found this healthy stir fry that I love that uses teriyaki that could be phase 1 okay and the original book I have doesn't talk about teriyaki/soy sauces. In gluten solution, teriyaki is a no-no (and I currently cannot find a g free version).

Another question I have is coffee creamer. I primarily use natural bliss (INGREDIENTS: NONFAT MILK, HEAVY CREAM, SUGAR, NATURAL FLAVOR CONTAINS MILK.). Is this okay? Neither book really explains what I can put into the coffee other than sugar substitute. What are other SBD friendly options?

I live alone. A lot of the recipes serve multiples. It just makes it daunting to think what to make that's more than salad salad salad or go to waste. Are most the snacks basically protein + veggies? Does hummus count as a healthy fat? I'm kinda daunted on how to include the healthy fats. I don't like most condiments like mayo.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #2  
Thin Girl in Training

S/C/G: 285.5/269.4/180

Height: 5'5"

I am just into phase 2 by a week, but my insights are this

1) Try to be a 'purist' the first 2 weeks (phase 1) because it really really helps to eliminate the sugar/starch cravings. Within 3-4 days, the cravings for me were gone, and those foods were just foods, not the powerful things they had been before.
2) There are a LOT of sugar free products out there so I'd do some research and see if you can get some of those to replace your teriyaki sauce and coffee creamer. I think that maybe you can make your own teriyaki with splenda's brown sugar substitute and soy sauce.
3) I'm following the 'regular' version so I can't speak to the gluten free stuff, but it might be worth picking up the regular book if you don't have a specific reason to need to be g-free.
chubbybunny29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #3  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Welcome Shannon!

I love SBD and lost all my weight on it. If sugar is a problem it will help you. ChubbyBunny is right, a really clean Phase 1 makes all the difference getting started. I love the way I feel when I'm eating on plan and haven't strayed much in 7 years (though I have not always been good about portions )

What are the ingredients in the teriyaki sauce? It's important to read labels on any prepared foods, so many contain added sugar. Soy sauce should be okay.
The coffee creamer is a definite no, both the heavy cream and sugar are problematic. I'm sure other chicks will chime in. I learned to drink my coffee black a long time ago when I tried calorie counting because I wasn't willing to drink calories, so I'm no help now.

Have you checked out the recipes here? There are some great, easy recipes broken down by Phase.

Snacks are what works for you. I love raw veggies and hummus, string cheese, nuts, chickpea crunchies (just made a batch today) then apples & PB in Phase 2.

Planning ahead makes a huge difference. Check out the recipes, tips, and food lists here and ask away

ETA - there are some recipes that are great for freezing too. Even with two of us I often freeze half a recipe into single serving containers for busy weeks

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-08-2014 at 07:46 PM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #4  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
it might be worth picking up the regular book if you don't have a specific reason to need to be g-free.
I have the regular book. Not supercharged but the first book.

The first week I'm not really worried about drinking much coffee. That's why I want to start phase 1 this week because I am off for a week. But when I switch back to work/night shift, I was wondering about my coffee.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I wish I had the perfect answers for you since I've followed SBD for several years now and have only recently gone gluten-free. For me things are rather complicated by my husband's vegetarianism, more than the GF.

I think you already got great advice on this thread. What I'll add is that the recipes and menus in the books are always just suggestions. You don't need to follow them or make those foods. And I actually have always found leftovers to be a great thing on SBD because a key for me is planning; having and making "on plan" foods. Sometimes I even ate leftover dinners for breakfast!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:01 PM   #6  
Thin Girl in Training

Oh cool - I have the regular book too. I've always found its enough when you combine it with online resources like this forum and pinterest.

I have had a few "cheats" over time, but I always try to minimize those and keep them as far apart as possible. I find that one 'cheat' every once in a great while doesn't derail me, but if they happen too close together, it awakens the monster
Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

I am a coffee junkie! I drink mine with skim plus fat free half and half. It only has 2 grams of sugar from the milk. Coffee is a necessity in my line of work. Drinking two or more cups per shift (plus my cup on my way in) I need to be flexible. Coffee did not cause my weight fluctuations, eating un healthy did. Mind you, I never took sugar in my coffee nor used flavored creamers.
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:09 PM   #8  
Thin Girl in Training

Maybe if you need the flavoring - check out the sugar free flavor syrups (like the ones they use at starbucks) and use skim milk?