Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #1  

Default trouble eating after gastric bypass

I had gastric bypass surgery almost 3 months ago and am still having trouble eating solid foods. Whenever I eat solid food it just doesn't feel good in my small pouch. I can't eat meat at all; it is too heavy and makes me nauseated. Foods like eggs and beans are better but really nothing feels very good. I can drink liquids and protein shakes no problem. I think it is just the sensation of food in my new pouch that is uncomfortable. I also have no appetite at all and food doesn't taste very good now after surgery. I am worried that I am not getting enough calories. I drink 2 protein shakes a day and get around 600 calories a day. Did anyone else have this problem after surgery?
happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #2  
Let's try this again . .

Height: 5'2"

My pouch was much hardier at 3 mos--but yours sounds like it needs more time to heal. I wouldn't worry about the calories--it's still early. i if you can get more in-great. If not, don't push it. Just keep your surgeon/NUT in the loop.
juliemarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #3  
Incredible Shrinking Lisa

S/C/G: 279.2/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I LIVED on boiled shrimp and scrambled eggs (not together!) for a while after surgery. The shrimp were easy to break down because there's so much water in them. Scrambled eggs could be chewed down to nothing as well.

Make sure you're chewing chewing chewing. That definitely helps.
LisaP916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #4  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Check with your surgeon as well...sometimes there is constriction of the stoma...the exit out of the pouch. It is a common complication.

Also, are you waiting the full 30 - 45 minutes to drink after you eat? Even drinking less then 10 minutes before you eat can "push" the food out of the pouch...this is a very uncomfortable feeling.

Good to ask as many questions of you dr's support staff, their NUT and here as they come up...good for you!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 05-25-2011 at 10:11 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #5  
Old Cackler

oh happ. i sympathize. i'm nearly 10 years out and there are still times that NOTHING stays down [trust me - it's usually because i'm either eating too fast or not chewing well enough, but if i'm under stress, watch out!].

like JulieM said, some people take a little longer to heal - or, maybe the word is 'be comfortable' with the pouch. at three months, i had to be REALLY CAREFUL. i was eating thinly sliced anything - deli roast beef, chicken, turkey, very thinly sliced chicken cutlets, and so on. and they had to be REALLY moist - a little gravy or broth made all the difference.

and then, there's the whole issue of 'what's a small bite.' for me [after MUCH experimentation], it ended up that a small bite = something the size of my pinky nail.

some people find that they can't eat red meat, but tolerate chicken or turkey just fine. others find they can't eat the chicken or turkey, but red meat works for them! go figure. i'm in the red meat camp. unless the chicken or turkey is fresh and moist, it's generally NOT HAPPENING.

which brings me to the leftover problem. there's just something about eating food that's been sitting around for a couple of days that doesn't sit right with me.

is any of this sounding familiar? and now for the bottom line - at three months, your job is to be making sure you hit your protein and water goals, and that you're MOVING into other foods. take your time. as long as you're doing two protein shakes a day and are otherwise healthy, just keep trying. what works one day will not work the next. and what makes you gag today might be your best friend next week.

keep us posted!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 21.2stone /17stone/ 10stone

Height: 5ft5inches

Smile 3 months in

hi guys i had my gastric bypass on november 1st 2013
ive gone from 21.2 stone to 17 stone so far another 7 stone to go till my ideal weight
but my god i hate food !!!!!! i find it hard to eat much i live on crisp bread ,and sliced chicken , water and weak orange squash its about the only thing that doesnt give me stomach pains and then i have to force myself to eat that most days:[

Last edited by caz2172; 02-06-2014 at 08:37 AM.
caz2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

caz - i PROMISE YOU it gets better. the first 3 months are REALLY HARD, and then it settles into just plain HARD for awhile. just keep trying different foods and make sure that you're getting your protein and water, with a few veggies and fruit bites in there as well.

the biggest change for me came several years after the surgery, when i realized that i've now become a stress non-eater after decades of being a stress eater!!! what a shock!!!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #8  
Hanging in the Heartland

S/C/G: 470/220/170

Height: 5"8"

Happ,

Definitely. I have had very similar problems and was at about 600 calories at 3 months. I am up to about 900-1000 now at 6 months. I had lots of pain and was on Vicodin for a month after surgery. I thought it would never end. Some people just heal slower than others.

One thing my doctor told me is that some people develop food sensitivities after WLS. I found out that I am sensitive to grains. Eliminating them has eliminated about 80-90 percent of my pain. Everyone is different.

I think you got some great advice on this thread. My 2 cents: keep searching for whatever makes you comfortable. Keep talking to your medical team, us, and where ever you find support.
activeadventurer is offline   Reply With Quote