Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-06-2014, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Default How strict are you with condiments?

So I have been eating pretty clean lately, haven't seen a loss yet, but I'm eating clean and I feel "clean" if that makes sense lol. I just wanted to ask, how clean do you keep your diet in terms on condiments?

I was eating a salad the other day and I wanted to add some salad dressing, and my friend told me it defeats the purpose of a salad, which I understand it can be a lot of unnecessary calories, but the satisfaction from a little salad dressing really keeps me from binging. I was thinking of trying those zero calorie/fat-free ones, but it's feels overly processed/chemical ridden so I feel healthier eating smaller portions of the real stuff. Which is a better option in this case?

I have the same issue with flavored coffee creamers, mayo, sauces for meats (BBQ, sweet and source, Ketchup, soy)

Last edited by hhm6; 02-06-2014 at 04:18 PM.
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:29 PM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I measure mine out now and count the calories. I like a little honey with my salad and was adding what I thought was a tablespoon. Turned out to be twice that.

At your weight, I would not worry too much (nearer goal you may get super sensitive to small changes) but a trick I used to use for salad dressing at my heavier weights was to have a small pot of it and dip things into it with a fork rather than spraying the stuff all over my salad. That really helped me with portion control.

For the other condiments, I would try to drop them. I got rid of mayo quite late on but it does have a lot of fat. Ketchup went early because there is a lot of sugar in that. And coffee creamers add up. I had one today. That's 15 calories. Again, some of this will not matter at your weight since you have some wiggle room. But at 130 it will! For milk, I am now using Flaxseed milk in my coffee (25 calories instead of 90 for non-fat milk). That is how crazy things have become for me.

So start making small changes and see how things go.

Last edited by IanG; 02-06-2014 at 04:30 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:38 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
I measure mine out now and count the calories. I like a little honey with my salad and was adding what I thought was a tablespoon. Turned out to be twice that.

At your weight, I would not worry too much (nearer goal you may get super sensitive to small changes) but a trick I used to use for salad dressing at my heavier weights was to have a small pot of it and dip things into it with a fork rather than spraying the stuff all over my salad. That really helped me with portion control.

For the other condiments, I would try to drop them. I got rid of mayo quite late on but it does have a lot of fat. Ketchup went early because there is a lot of sugar in that. And coffee creamers add up. I had one today. That's 15 calories. Again, some of this will not matter at your weight since you have some wiggle room. But at 130 it will! For milk, I am now using Flaxseed milk in my coffee (25 calories instead of 90 for non-fat milk). That is how crazy things have become for me.

So start making small changes and see how things go.

Omg So you've been pretty proactive in making changes. I just don't know how strict to be, I kind of want to lose weight sooner, and make changes earlier, but then I have this mindset where if I make changes now and lose, to lose more, the more drastic changes have to be. Does that make sense?

I guess I could start taking out one at a time, what's your take on on the low cal/zero cal options?
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I count the calories for things that are caloric. I have been using a salad dressing that is 120 calories for 2 tbsps. Other times, I'll directly add olive oil and balsamic to my salad and add the calories.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhm6 View Post
Omg So you've been pretty proactive in making changes. I just don't know how strict to be, I kind of want to lose weight sooner, and make changes earlier, but then I have this mindset where if I make changes now and lose, to lose more, the more drastic changes have to be. Does that make sense?

I guess I could start taking out one at a time, what's your take on on the low cal/zero cal options?
I agree with Ian but you don't have to make it all at once! You gave your correct answer in your original post if you drop the salad dressing it could sabotage and lead to binges. Just do a full fat/flavor one that you love and that's the healthiest you can find and MEASURE. THAT is the key is measuring. If you cannot stick to a measurement that allows you to continue losing, then by all means, pick a low calorie one but you have to measure that also

It doesn't have to be too difficult, just start up with what's costing you the most calories and what you can live with. You can do it!
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Oh and chunky salsa is a really good low calorie dressing. I make taco salads all the time with it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #7  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

I measure my salad dressing. Usually one serving is plenty. I count it to my daily calorie allowance. And yes I use a measuring spoon, it is accurate

I don't eat ketchup (sugar), but I use mustard quite a bit.

Again same for mayo as for salad dressing; I take my measuring spoon out. It is my (best) friend.

Last edited by Sum38; 02-06-2014 at 05:20 PM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:18 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/133/140

Height: 5'2"

I use light salad dressing or EVOO, vinegar and Italian spices on the side, dip my fork into the dressing, then into the salad. I try to use mustard rather than mayonnaise; salsa rather than ketchup. It doesn't work for everything as I do not like lite or fat-free mayo, and do not like the taste of plain Greek yogurt as a condiment - - I only like it as a fruit topping.
EasySpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #9  
Fat to Fab and Fit

S/C/G: 190/151.2/122

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Oh and chunky salsa is a really good low calorie dressing. I make taco salads all the time with it.
Ditto! I use salsa everywhere (but not in chips ). Chicken and salsa makes a great combination.

Last edited by Sum38; 02-07-2014 at 10:04 AM.
Sum38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

i weigh everything with a kitchen scale, when i am actively restricting calories.
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

i like the full fat version of salad dressings because "lite" ones taste strange to me and the sugar free/fat free kind tastes like a science experiment ...ugh...i'd rather measure out the calories and count it than eat something i despise

otherwise i don't really use condiments...i dont like mayo, ketchup, mustard, salsa etc...if i use it, it's a very little bit because i just don't like it...i do use bbq sauce on meat and i will measure that out and count it

but for me, weight loss depends more on lowering my carbs and sugars, watching my overall calories and exercising than whether i added 1 or 3 tablespoons of ketchup....
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:22 PM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I measure out salad dressings and vegenaise and olive oil. I generally use full fat dressings, or use straight evoo and vinegar (mmm balsamic vinegar!). But ketchup I just eyeball and don't go crazy with. Mustard, horseradish, vinegar, salsa, sriracha and pretty much everything else I use however much I want.

I won't cut out dressings because it makes salad delicious and 2 TBS shaken with a giant salad is well worth it in my opinion. I've tried using other things (squeeze of lemon, etc.), but they just don't do it for me.

Like you, a GOOD salad is emotionally satisfying to me, and keeps my thoughts from straying to much, much worse options. Same with roasted veggies -- a big pan of roasted veggies tossed in evoo (and garlic salt!)-- sooooo good and satisfying. And a little evoo goes a long ways anyway. Well worth the calories.

Edited to add: I also add almond milk to my coffee. It's these little touches that still bring fun to my food. But it is different for everyone, I'm sure. You'll have to find what you are willing to give up and what you aren't.

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 02-06-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #13  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't think there is anything "unclean" about home made salad dressing. I wouldn't use bottled dressing. I've tried and its rubbish.

I use 1tsp of extra virgin olive oil and 1tsp or a splash of either red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar or a squeeze of a lime. And i don't feel in the list bit compromised about it.

Of course i consider the calories.

I think if you food tastes like grass you will soon stop eating it. Food should taste good but not so strong as to make you unable to stop eating it.

All other condiments i use too. I use tomato sauce, even mayonnaise sometimes, butter on my sandwiches, any of the asian things that are necessary to make the food taste proper.

Sometimes i would forgo butter, mayonnaise and the like but when you are starting out on a diet there is absolutely no need. Even as you get down to a low weight if you are eating in a balanced way you should be able to keep eating it.

The idea of poached skinless chicken breasts, steamed broccoli and carrots is anathema to me.

Last edited by Pattience; 02-06-2014 at 06:33 PM.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 06:34 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Default Real food only

Hi gals: I am strict about condiments because there are a ton of sugars in most of those and the fat free/calorie wise fake-food ones are the worst. That sets you up for cravings as the sugar gets more insulin released into your body. So presently NO ketchup, BBQ sauce, etc. BUT I do love hot sauce (Frank's with Lime, Tabasco, Cholula, Sriracha, TexasPete's, Dave's Insanity - all in my fridge door right now) and mustards of all kinds grainy, german, dijon, etc - just not honey mustard.
I also use Bragg's real Apple Cider vinegar, rice vinegar, tarragon vinegar, and mix those with quality EVOO in multiple flavours on my salads like Citrus & Habanero, Portobello & Garlic, Sundried Tomato & Parmesan. You can google Sapori Oils in Armstrong, BC and they can ship them to you. Not cheap at all but worth it for real food and EVOO is good for you in moderation. I also use Bragg's Aminos for a soy sauce substitute as I am gluten free. My toughie right now is Thai peanut sauce... What I wouldn't do for some of that but a bit will be added in once I am at maintenance weight. Not gonna overdo it tho.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #15  
JAYNE

S/C/G: 276/251/150

I have tried to eat as clean as possible. Check out some clean blogs like graciouspantry.com. She has recipes for clean dressings, marinades and even ketchup. I do buy a fresh yogurt dressing sold at my farm market but most of time make my own. The sodium and the sugars are the culprits so you are better off making it yourself.
jillybean2014 is offline   Reply With Quote