Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #1  
diamondgeog

Default February 2014 C25K - Running Wild!

Thought I would go ahead and start the thread. Especially as I completed my first 5K on Feb 1.

It was a lot of fun. And although via the program I never ran the 40 minutes it took me to and never actually ran 5K, I had no problem completing it after getting up to 30 minute runs. And I actually felt stronger the second half. I sprinted the last 0.1 miles.

Somebody mentioned goals when you finished. I think it is good to think about goals but running is going to be different for you at the end of completing the program then at the beginning and the middle.

It is an entirely different thing for me to run now. Much easier, more enjoyable, more a part of my life.

I think I am going to probably settle on something like 35 to 40 min runs 3 times a week. And possibly train for a 10K later this year. But I was not tired at the end, I was not gasping for air. Your body when you run regularly changes....radically.

Your capillary system gets better, you get more mitochondria, you get better at delivering oxygen to your muscles. And yes researchers have measured all that. So you might think I'd never do a 10K or whatever now. But running isn't going to be the same thing it is now. It will be easier and hopefully more enjoyable. And if I could do it anyone can. I couldn't even run the 30 seconds in August.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #2  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Nice work diamondgeog! Congrats on your first 5K! Very inspiring
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:53 PM   #3  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

YAY, new month! This *should* be the month that I finally get back to 30 minutes of running. to everyone here for your February goals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
Your capillary system gets better, you get more mitochondria, you get better at delivering oxygen to your muscles. And yes researchers have measured all that. So you might think I'd never do a 10K or whatever now. But running isn't going to be the same thing it is now. It will be easier and hopefully more enjoyable.
That's what I am counting on! My capillaries and mitochondria haven't caught up yet with my brain's desire to run ...

Today is Week 7, Day 3: another 22' run + 1' extra at the end. I always try to sprint the last minute anyway... My "sprint" is like a normal pace for a regular runner. It was easier than last week! woot woot

The previous C25K threads had a lot of valuable information that gets buried forever. When I first did the program 4+ years ago, I read through something like 400 posts (long thread) and it was SO helpful. Here a few of the last threads if it helps any new runners:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...ning-wild.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...estarters.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...pt-2013-a.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...im-runner.html

Starting C25K at a higher weight: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...9375-c25k.html and http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/exer...couch-5-k.html
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:19 AM   #4  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

I started W1D1 today... It was hard! Much harder than I remember from all the other W1's I've started (there's been a few haha). But my partner came with me and he's much faster, so maybe I was trying to keep up a bit. Anyway, I've started, so now I just need to stick with it
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/see ticker/138

Height: 5ft 3

Forgot to take my sports bra with me to work today so couldnt go to gym and do my run. Did a 45 min walk instead.
Rechyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

lilmisschatterbox - I also had completed W1D1 many times before.... and usually didn't get much further. I just finished W3 and already I can see a difference and I was dying on those 1 min runs in the first week. Keep it up go at a pace that is challenging but do-able and you will see progress!

I just finished week 3 and have officially completed more of the program than I ever have before. I leave on Thursday for a week to visit my family and then go to a conference but I am going to try to continue week 4 while I am traveling.

I am usually too intimidated to use hotel gyms but I am going to give it a try this time!
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:12 PM   #7  
diamondgeog

My personal advice is also junk carbs except veggies maybe some fruit. Forget conventional wisdom. It is wrong. It is why we have obesity and diabetes explosion.

If you do and you run, you will shed pounds. I guarantee it.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:49 PM   #8  
Hi, I'm Danielle!

S/C/G: 208/Ticker/130

Height: 5'1

Ok guys so before the holidays I was on a GREAT and I mean GREAT roll... lost weight and was very proud of myself but what a horrible idea. I stunk at sticking with it during the holidays - so here I am now finally telling myself to get back on the wagon. I just need help with the DIET part.. but also exercise, too, of course. I have been going to the gym and doing classes, but I want to do the C25K... and I figure why NOT start tonight? So my plan is to go and do W1D1 and then shower and hit the sac.... I'm so nervous. I am so not a runner!
Savemykissesx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

Awesome starting. Repeat weeks/days as often as you feel you need to. Your body will change. It probably is not very good at delivering oxygen to muscles so it is hard and you huff and puff.

Did a 30 min run on treadmill tonight at 4.3. It was easier than 30 seconds used to be. Keep going, you'll get better.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

I sorta started in January, but I'm going to creep into the Feb thread. I started strong but then got struck down with the flu so I'm a little off schedule. Currently, I'm only at W2D2 because I've been throwing in the c25k programs in sporadically in between my regular workouts. This month I'd like to stick to a more structured routine.

On the up side, I wanted to see if I'd made any endurance improvements, even with my wonky routine, and I was able to run a mile straight without stopping to walk (impressive for me!).

BTW, do you guys alternate run days or do them back to back? I've been resting but I'm wondering if it's necessary for good performance?
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:03 AM   #11  

I alternate C25k days and lifting days. So I run on alternating days but I am still working out inbetween.

I tried Week 4 yesterday, there are two 5 min run sections and while I completed the first one I couldn't do the last one. I am proud that I did run for 5 mins but I think I am going to go back and repeat week 3 again so that I can completed week 4 as it was intended.

It looks like repeated weeks might become a pattern for me.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:19 PM   #12  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Hi Everyone! Welcome to the newcomers

Repeat of W2 yesterday and the day before, I'm glad I did it again, it slightly less of a struggle to do now Looking forward to W3 Monday! I am having some issues with my heel right now. It's not unbearable but it is tender. I have a really bad habit of always tucking that foot under my leg when I sit and have been trying REALLY hard to get out of that habit in hopes that it will relieve some of this discomfort!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #13  
Determined!

S/C/G: 84.3kg/ticker/65kg

Height: 5'4"/164cm

W1 D2 down. It seemed easier today, but then I didn't have my partner with me, so I prob wasn't trying to keep up with him so much. I did have the dog pulling me along though ha ha. Is that cheating!? Lol.

I would like to not repeat weeks but I will if I feel like I have to. Going to try and push through as much as I can though.
lilmisschattabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #14  
diamondgeog

chattabox,

The approach I took was repeat weeks or days as much as I felt necessary. But my one BIG rule was once I started a day ALWAYS and I mean ALWAYS do the run parts.

On days where there were 5 runs and it was 90 outside you bet I wanted to quit. But I knew if I did then I just wouldn't finish the program. So it was much more important for me to repeat and be very comfortable with the next day or week then have any particular time goal of finishing the program in. I always ran every run segment every single time for the full length every time I started a day but once. Turned out I was sick that one time though.

And it worked for me.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #15  

For me repeating weeks was important because I figure it is better to repeat weeks and be better prepared then to push push push, not be able to do it anymore. Then ultimately quit because it got too hard (like in the past).

It is important to push yourself though so if you think you can keep pace with the program that is awesome.