South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM   #1  

Default Any maintainers here?

I would love to know i there are members here that lost all their weight with SBD and maintain it successfully? I would love to learn from people that made it.

If there are maintainers, I have a couple questions:
- how do u eat now?
- what is the key to your success?
- do u feel like u are still on a diet?
Xena31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:59 PM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Hi Xena
Well, I maintained my loss for 6 years before gaining some of it back. I am losing again and it's much harder this time (age doesn't help but I also think it all takes longer in repeat mode). Luckily I have a lot less to lose this time because I caught myself before I was too far gone.

FWIW, here's what I learned.

- how do u eat now?
I am back to a solid Phase 1.5-2, minimal grains. not much fruit because of the time of year, plenty of root veggies. My personal adjustment is some whole corn but no wheat

- what is the key to your success?
Recognizing that this time it wasn't just a diet and when I hit goal I still had to stick with the plan. When I made too many exceptions and got too lax that's when the weight started to creep back.

- do u feel like u are still on a diet?
I still feel like I have to eat thoughtfully. that's not the same as being on a diet. I absolutely need to eat mindfully always and forever because otherwise the weight pops back. The "normal" first world diet is just a set-up to gain weight - too many carbs paired with fat paired with salt. Label reading and planning are absolutes for me.

I would love to tell you that I lost the weight, kept it off effortlessly for years, and gained it back because of some outside circumstance but that's not the way it was for me. I kept it off because I stuck with Phase 1.5-2 95% of the time and exercised at least 5 days a week. I am looking for a middle ground now, maybe with a goal a little higher than my low weight but a little easier to maintain. I will still stick to Phase 2 and exercise regularly, but I hope to give myself a little breathing room this time.

All that said I do think it might be easier for those with less to lose and/or less years of obesity than I had

The most important thing to know is that it is absolutely worth it. I have more energy and feel better mentally and physically, have less headaches, and less moody when I follow SB principles
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

Hi Xena,

I have been maintaining almost two years. I too live in P1.5. I still enjoy pizza and a decadent dessert, but now they are treats not my norm. I have had little slip ups, but no one is perfect and I remind myself of that constantly.

How do I eat now: I cook!!!! that is huge for me. I plan for the week and pack my meals when working (my work day is 12 hours plus commute). I eat grains sparingly and save fruit for the end of the day. I guess you could say it is my little treat to myself.

Key to success...planning and not being afraid to try new foods. I am 42 and only starting eating eggs and beans when I started SB.

Do I feel like I am on a diet....No for once in my life I actually don't. I've done a lot of diets over the years. Always lost weight, but gained it back plus more. Now I do things differently. For one, I don't stress over calories or weigh anything. I do make much better choices which is a major accomplishment for me. I like how my plate looks when it is colorful too.

Checking in here, even to chat, really helps me stay on track. I also enjoy when new SB join and see their success. I found my niche for exercise too. I loved riding my bike as a kid. Now as an adult, I find it very freeing. I can ride for hours, see beautiful scenery and just clear my head. Hope this helps you in your journey
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #4  

Wow thx guys! This gives me hope.
Xena31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I finally feel like a maintainer after years of yo-yo dieting, both with SB and other plans.

I pretty much eat PH 2 on a routine basis and at home but would be more towards 1.5 (with less grains) if not for my husband being vegetarian. I allow splurges when I eat out or for social eating, which are fortunately not too often.

I think what caused me to relapse/regain in the past was getting complacent with my thinking and eating - allowing myself to go back to eating how I used to eat. "If I eat what I used to eat, I will weigh what I used to weigh." Simple.

I do feel that I have changed my eating over time, finally, but not that I am on a diet. But I have to make conscious choices every day. For example - eating vegetables. I wish eating was just automatic and healthy for me and that I didn't have to plan and that I didn't think about it, but I have come to the conclusion after years of this yo-yo thing that I just don't have a normal relationship with food.

Which leads me to the fact that I have found certain foods are real triggers for me and I just can't have them in the house. I've learned that I have to handle some foods differently than in the past. For example, bread. For a long time I did best to not eat bread (at home) and to really limit grains. Over time I've evolved and am able to incorporate them more often. But I keep bread in the freezer so I'm not tempted to just snack on it!

And that brings up snacks. I snack a lot. But most of my snacks are veggies, fruit and maybe something like cheese or yogurt. Nothing like my former snacks of crackers or sweets. Again, it works best for me to not keep snack food in the house. Now if only I could get my husband on board.

I think everyone has to figure out what works for them. We are all different in what we can eat and still maintain and what we are willing to make as lifestyle changes vs. temporary changes. I thought I got the whole "lifestyle not a diet" concept but it really did take me restarts and regains and trial and error to figure it out for me.

Sorry for getting long winded. I could have written even more!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:39 AM   #6  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

I'm one who has taken things slowly. I'm 55 and I have more than my fair share of stress and responsibility. It's what used to drive me to eat-I felt there was so much pressure/stress that I "deserved it".

I'm hovering right around my 1st goal-which classifies me as just "overweight". For me, it's a monumental achievement. I lost part of my weight on my own and it was always difficult. The weight I've lost on SBD was much easier and I've never felt better. I call it success to follow a lifestyle plan for such a long time now and to be able to be flexible about my eating without getting too far off track. I'm grateful to have "maintained" my losses, so far.

- how do u eat now? I eat pretty much P-2 and find I lose more when I eat 1.5. DH and I make green smoothies everymorning which we believe has really aided in our health.
- what is the key to your success? Checking in here every day! IT keeps me focused.
- do u feel like u are still on a diet? No. I feel I have made the healthiest decision of my entire life and my DH, who is underweight, eats SB, too. He can't seem to gain but is very happy with the way he feels.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote