Old 02-03-2014, 01:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

Default Counting Calories, Working out! Not losing weight! GRR help

I am so frustrated. I eat 1200 calories a day, work out and burn 350 - 500 calories (currently on a 37 day workout streak) and nothing, not losing anything!.

I tried those calories calculators to tell me how many calories I need to eat to lose weight, but something isn't right.. I put in that I am lightly active as I am a stay at home mom, who works from home. Should I up my calories?

So confused and frustrated! I just want CHIPS and CHOCOLATE.. lol

I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this, I can't be.. Can someone please give me some guidance before I quit this counting thing and grab a tub of ice cream (jk)

Any help would be appreciated!

Tricia
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 228/213.8/150

Height: 5'7

I think it is something that happens occasionally. You could try upping them for a few days then going back down...
Skinnygirldreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #3  
New-b

S/C/G: 219/ticker/155

Height: 5ft

I've been doing this just over a year and IMO I would say have one big cheat Day to shake things up. Your body may just be used to your routine. I'd also look into BMR and TDEE numbers. 1200 cals isn't the perfect # for everyone. Good luck ma'am
WannaB2cute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:10 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

If you're working out every day I would consider that to be more than lightly active.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 PM   #5  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

I've never experienced a plateau that long. I eat pretty well though, usually around 1700 calories a day, some days up to 2000. I've recently started fasting twice a week though, 500 calorie days that is. I started this in hopes to jump start my weight loss after a 6 month period of not even trying anymore. I lost 3 pounds this week, I wonder if that'll continue. I also make sure to ease up a little on the exercise. I do cardio/weights 3x a week, then an hour+ of yoga 3x a week at home, Sundays off. I drink lots of water...you sound like you're doing things right though. Why not try eating more, or maybe changing your diet a little? Do you eat white flour products? Cheese? I know those things keep my belly big! Maybe add weight training if you're not already?
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:10 PM   #6  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

Default I feel your pain.

I know how you feel, tripletmomplus1! Whenever a longer period like that came along, it just passed by itself in two weeks tops. In your place I wouldn't do anything different and just be patient with the scale. Maybe you step on in just one time per week to take the pressure off a little? Sometimes I lose 3 pounds per week and sometimes none. Looking at the average loss makes me feel better sometimes.

At the moment I'm having my day 6 without weight loss and this week I've been swimming, running, doing aerobics + eating 1200 per day!
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

You probably have some water retention caused by muscle repair. You also do not have a huge amount to loose. Looses tend to slow down considerably in your weight range and exercise can stall weight loss on the scale. Maybe just forget the scale and focus more on measurements. You should see results there as you loose fat and build muscle. Also make sure that you get enough calories, particularly protein in. Heavy exercise paired with severe calorie restriction can have long-term negative effects. If you do not eat enough protein, your body may cannibalize muscle tissue and your biggest muscle is the heart. Exercise is great for your health and for toning your body, but weight loss is mainly due to changed eating habits. So, you should focus on making long-term changes that you can adhere to.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/155/135

I found in the past, when I didn't lose too much weight then I would take my measurements and see a difference. For a while I took my measurements every month or two and sometimes even though the scale didn't go down, my measurements did.
But keep at it! At the very least be happy with what you've lost so far and don't give up! (Learn from me!! Lol)
tdiprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 228/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'8

Have you had your thyroid checked? I had a LOT of weight gain & no loss for a long time, it was the pits. I went years chugging away for no results via the scale. Then, things normalized again, I shook things up big time and I'm seeing a loss....for now.
Paisleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:45 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 182/146/132

Height: 5'5"

Definitely up your calories and then work your way back down. You sound more moderately active and I'm sure your crazy active as a SAHM/working Mom :-). I'm 5'4" at about 1800 calories per day with moderate activity, I've had my share of plateaus but I was pleasantly surprised when I was losing weight pretty consistently at this calorie level. Give it a try. Go to a couple sites and see what they say and figure out your calorie comfort level.
sumu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150.7/131/125

Height: 5'2

Thank you everyone for your great responses! I am going to take off working out today, I think (so hard!), up my calories and check back in a bit. If not I will get my thyroid checked.

You help is appreciated so much!! Fingers crossed the pounds start slipping away sooner than later, or I will be grabbing that ice cream

Just one question, if a was going to go for a "cheat day" do I not work out that day either or do I work out and eat what I wish.
tripletmomplus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:35 PM   #12  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripletmomplus1 View Post
Thank you everyone for your great responses! I am going to take off working out today, I think (so hard!), up my calories and check back in a bit. If not I will get my thyroid checked.

You help is appreciated so much!! Fingers crossed the pounds start slipping away sooner than later, or I will be grabbing that ice cream

Just one question, if a was going to go for a "cheat day" do I not work out that day either or do I work out and eat what I wish.
Even on my cheat day, I try and get a good chunk of working out in there. Keeps my energy up. But I know plenty of people who laze about on their cheat day and it works for them. Taking the day off is for enjoying yourself, ya know?
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:37 PM   #13  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Calorie cycling is a good idea for someone who has maintained the same weight for a while.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

1200 is extremely low, especially if you are working out every day. I would up it to 1500 or so.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:22 PM   #15  
Less of a Better Me

Do you have an activity monitor? I use a Fitbit and keep careful count of my calories burned and also calories eaten. I work from home and have a one story house. If I don't do any exercise I can burn as few as 1500 calories a day. (I'm a little taller but older than you). Exercise does help of course and gets up to 1800 to 2000 calories a day. So, yes, I mostly eat about 1200 calories a day and lose about 1 pound a week.

I don't see how increasing your calories eaten will help you. The idea that you can stop all weight loss due to starvation mode is simply a myth. Here is a good article on the subject:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

If you aren't losing weight over a sustained period of time then you don't have a calorie deficit. Do you weigh your food? I've noticed with some foods the package gives a measure of volume and a weight measure. In that case, test to make sure that the weight measure is the same as the volume measure. There is a popcorn that I buy that the package used to say that 3 cups or 28g was a serving. So, I was eating 3 cups. One day I checked the weight and found that 28g was only 2 cups! So I had been overeating even though I didn't realize it.

Also, if you eat out a lot, restaurants are often wildly off on their calorie counts.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote