Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM   #1  
Simply Filling Technique

Post "Change Your Life" Challenge

This is a structured ongoing 8 week "change your life" challenge. Ideally, you will join for at least 8 weeks and work through this challenge along with others. Every 8 weeks we start a new 8 week challenge and this will be ongoing through 2014. So, you can never say you "missed" the "deadline". Changing your life can start right where you are at and "move forward" from there. This is a "no excuses" challenge. Of course, family emergencies, illness and other factors "outside of your control" are the exceptions. I am tough but I am also fair.

We use a spreadsheet guide for us to keep track of the daily tasks that we are being "challenged". Once a week you report your weekly weigh loss as well as any other of the "points" you earned throughout the previous week. Our reporting weekly weigh in is Mondays. If you wish to use the spreadsheet please PM me and provide a working email address that I can mail it to you.
For those people who are interested in joining but do not or can not use a spreadsheet, I will provide an initial post listing the daily tasks throughout the week as well as bonus weekly challenges so you can make note of what you are "expected" to do.

Again, this is not about being perfect but it is all about progress. We all have areas in our respective lives that we can improve on. Even if you took one of these tasks and "challenged" yourself for the 8 week duration, you might end up having a new found habit that will pay health dividends long past this structured challenge.

The biggest objection is "I don't have time". My answer is we all have the same 24 hours 7 days a week as the next person. If we can fit in time to cruise FB or tweet on Twitter then we have time for our selves and for our health and well-being.

The second objection is "I don't have energy". Well, I am sure I am the oldest person in this challenge and what energy I do have I make sure that I use it to advance my health and overall well-being.

I believe in both making the most of my time and energy. I do not waste either since I consider both finite and precious commodities.

The bottom line is it is a matter of making priorities with YOU being at the top of the list.

So, who is in? Again, this is about "Changing Your Life" for the better. Health and well-being is top of my list and I hope it will be for you as well.

Come and join us. I know you won't regret it.

Pam

Start Up Date to Remember February 3rd!
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:45 PM   #2  
Simply Filling Technique

Post Let's Make Something Happen!

I welcome all to join this challenge. For anyone who is interested, no matter how much weight you want to lose or how fit (or not) you are, this challenge is for everyone across the board. So, if you want to lose weight permanently, then you have found the right thread to do that.

"Change Your Life"[/I] Challenge is exactly that. This is what makes this different from all of the other ongoing challenges. I wanted to do something different and not just replicate what is already available on this site.

If you are anything like me you have lost the same weight over and over in the past. The day that stopped for me was when I realized that I needed to "change my life" so I could get off of that weight loss merry go round. I will share with you throughout the remainder of this year those things that have worked for me (and others). I also encourage you to share what has been working for you as well.

This is about progress not perfection! Permanent weight loss is about acquiring life skills that will enable you to both lose the weight and then keep it off. However, you can't do the same thing you have been doing (especially if it wasn't working)....as Albert Einstein said, "You can't use the same mind set that created the problem to solve the problem." (paraphrase).

So, put aside your sense of doom and gloom and "I just can't do this" and bring a new "attitude" to your weight loss efforts. By being involved in a group challenge you "divide your sorrow and double your joys". You don't have to "go it alone" if you don't want to. You certainly don't need to.

Changing Your Life starts here and starts now. We do use a spreadsheet to keep track of our progress (again not perfectionism) so if you wish to use this tool (and you don't have to although it makes tracking a whole lot easier) then PM me with a valid email address that I can send it to you. If not, then please report at least on Monday's so you can both report your weight as well as your "weekly assignment".

So, "game on", all. I look forward to working with you in losing all the weight that I want and need to lose.

Pam

P. S. If you have any questions or concerns, please PM me.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 183/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

I am obviously still in. I hope others join as well.
Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/See Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Count me is...this is just what I need!

Diane

Last edited by AuzzieDee; 02-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.
AuzzieDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #5  
Simply Filling Technique

Post What This Is and What This Isn't!

one and all to this Challenge. This is not a quick-fix thread. This is not a here today-gone tomorrow thread. This is for the "rest of your life" thread.

I am assuming that we are all here for one purpose: to lose the extra weight and regain health and well-being in the process. We are not only going to lose the "fat body" but also the "fat head". Your body got fat and probably unhealthy not on its own....it had a little help along the way. We are here to share what is "conventional wisdom" but also some "pearls" of your own that you can share (if you wish, which I hope that you will) with others so they too can do what you are doing.

Here is a little about me. I have lost and managed to keep off 55 lbs. in the past couple of years. It wasn't until I joined a similar challenge about a year ago that I found a better way of getting the weight off and keeping it off. In fact, this "system" works so well that even when I do it "half-baked" my weight doesn't deviate more than a few pounds. However, I want to take it up a notch and really blast through a lot more "fat" and whittle down that body of mine so I decided that this year I was going to really work on all cylinders.

I do have a spreadsheet from that challenge that I mentioned above. It is an easier way of keeping track of your daily efforts. For those who have managed to lose a lot of weight; you really need to up your awareness. One method of doing that is keeping a daily track of what you are doing. It can be intimidating and some say "time consuming" for those who have not done this before but I can promise you that if you stick with it, you will begin to feel more in control of your own health and well-being and before long you will really like reporting what you are doing. However, a strong caveat, there are no right or wrong ways to do any of this. These are suggestions. If you have something that is working for you, do NOT stop doing that. Bring an open mind here and join in the discussion (which I hope is lively).

So, I will break the ice with the first "assignment": here is a report that I would like you to copy and paste so you can refer to it on a daily basis. If you want (which is what I do) fill it out (I have a copy on my computer). It takes less than 2-3 minutes to fill it out. I do it before I go to bed at night along with brushing and flossing.

Come back tomorrow and we will open up the discussion about this and any questions that you may have.

Daily Weight Loss Journal

Date:

Weather: [yes, weather does affect our mood and our energy level!]

Weekly Goals:

Weight: lbs.

Sleep: 10 hrs.

Exercise:

Water:

Calorie Range:

Food Intake: 3-5 Vegs 2-3 Fruits 3-4 oz Protein (2x) 20+ g.fiber

Healthy Eating? :

Brief Summary of:[list struggles with food or exercise, life itself or just plain how your day is going in general--everything affects the weight on the scale! Everything!]

What I Did Well Today:
1)
2)
3)

What I Can Do Better Tomorrow:
1)
2)
3)

A Positive Thought for Tomorrow!

P.S. For those of you who would like the spreadsheet that will allow you to keep track easier as well as receive an gift award for your efforts, please PM me with a valid e-mail address that I can send it to you.

Again, Remember, this is about changing your life through weight lose and increased health and well-being. that you chose this for yourself and the rest of your life.

Pam
Old 02-04-2014, 01:48 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Again, my February's goal is the same---exercise every day.

I also belong to two other exercise challenges---both an individual and team one.

** I walked 83, 661 steps last month for a team step challenge. I am part of Team Wonder Woman and we are leading the pack!

** I am also participating in +1 Day/Challenge. You start out with 1 rep of an exercise (January was squats) and then add one each consecutive day until by January 31st you are doing 31 squats. Then, February 1st started adding in pushups; again, 1 for the 1st and then adding another one each consecutive day. You still continue with the squats until February 28th then on March 1st you drop the squats but still keep the pushups and then add in lunges. This continues throughout the whole year. I haven't missed a day yet.

Both of these are in addition to my own personal exercise goals here. I am ready to "burn some blubber".

So: here's my daily tally up to now:

2/1: stretching, 33 squats + 1 pushup
2/2: walking on treadmill 30 mins., strength workout-30 mins; 34 squats + 2 pushups
2/3: walking on treadmill 30 mins.; 35 squats + 3 pushups
2/4: strength workout-30 mins; stretching dvd-35 mins.; 36 squats + 4 pushups

Pam

Keep up the good work all! You are doing great!
Old 02-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Daily Weight Loss Journal-2/3/14

Date: 02/03/14

Weather: overcast, mild

Weekly Goals: starting this coming week: I would like to do 4 (30 mins.) cardio workouts; 3-4 strength workouts; 3 stretching workouts. Plus continue with the Steps Challenge and +1 Day Challenge.

Weight: 246.8 lbs.

Sleep: 10 hrs.

Exercise: 5 mins. @ 1.3 mph warm up; 15 mins. @ 1.5 mph; 15 mins. @ 1.4 mph-treadmill
Steps Challenge as well as +1 Day/Challenge (squats and pushups)

Water: yes!

Calorie Range: ok

Food Intake: 3-5 Vegs Y 2-3 Fruits Y 3-4 oz Protein (2x) Y 20+ grams fiber Y

Healthy Eating? : Y

Brief Summary of: had a mini binge on chocolate fudge mint cookies because missed evening meal. Corrected it by having a light meal afterwards.

What I Did Well Today:
1) walked on treadmill
2) drank all of the water I needed to
3) nearly tripled the steps goal I had for myself!

What I Can Do Better Tomorrow:
1) less sodium
2) avoid situations that cause me to choose poorly
3)

A Positive Thought for Tomorrow! tomorrow I have another opportunity to "get it right".

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 02-04-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #8  
Simply Filling Technique

Post H20: How much is enough?

There is an ongoing debate on just how much water does a person need especially if they are both active and as part of a weight loss program.

"Conventional Wisdom" (CW): states that by that time we actually feel the sensation of being thirsty we are already well on our way of becoming dehydrated.

Dehydration also doesn't just show up in a desire to drink something "liquid". Our urine darkens, our mouth and even our eyes may become noticeably dry and irritated. Bad breathe is often a symptom of dry mouth including "morning breathe". All of this because of not being well hydrated. If we are under-hydrated for a period of time; our skin, hair and nails will become drier. If we become seriously dehydrated; usually a cause of illness (like the flu or even a heavy menstrual flow) or an event (unable to adequately gain access to water or other liquids); our internal organs suffer and even begin the process of "shutting down". Our heart rate and pulse become "thready" and rapid because it is having to work that much harder to pump what remaining liquids are in our body. Our kidneys and other vital organs also suffer as well; causing them to malfunction.

Then, there is the "case" of weight loss: which is what we are all interested in accomplishing. The continual daily practice of reaching for water has many intrinsic benefits that you may not know or have forgotten but bear repeating.

1) cold water raises our body temperature and therefore aids in burning calories. It is called "thermogenics" and it is the same reason why when we shiver in cold weather, we actually are burning calories. It is the body's natural defense mechanism to trying to re-establish a core body temperature.

2) it flushes out toxins in our liver and other organs. End result our digestion and elimination (that's what we see on the scales when we are weighing) work better to give us the "results" we want to see from all of our hard work.

3) our skin glows and if you have fine wrinkles and lines (and if you are over the age of 18 you do), the added water in your body fills in those fine lines and plumps them up. A lot cheaper and safer than Botox.

4) it fills you up. In fact, most people mistaken hunger for thirst and will grab food before considering that they are thirsty and not hungry. So, next time when you "think" you are hungry, drink a tall glass of cold water and see if that satisfies you. It might surprise you!

5) Often when you are feeling tired it is really a mask for being dehydrated. So, the next time you think that you need a nap, try drinking a cold glass of H20 and see how you feel.

So, how much is enough? One measure is to check the color of your urine. If it is pale lemon colored, like lemonade, you are on your way of being fully hydrated.

If you want to aid your body in flushing out any stubborn water retention, aim for 80-100 oz of plain cold water per day. Initially, you may go to the bathroom but that will taper off within 36-48 hours (so you might want to start on a non-work day, like during the weekend, if you are concerned about multiple bathroom breaks) and your body will have adapted to the extra fluids.

Some people say they don't like the "taste" of water. I think what they really mean is they don't like the "non-taste" unless you mean tap water and your city water may have a residual chemical-treated taste. If that is the case, you can purchase filtered water pitchers (under $30) that you can fill up with your tap water and the filtration process will leave you with very "tasty" cold water.

If, after doing that, you "still" don't like the "non-taste" (absence of chemicals, artificial sweeteners, sugar or other additives) of water, try adding some lemon or lime juice to it.

Get in the habit of bringing a bottle of your own water along with you as you "travel" through your day and you will always have the water that you like and your body needs right there with you.

Believe it or not, but some weight loss experts say that sometimes the difference between losing weight and staying stalled is an increase of drinking more plain water.

I would call that a "win-win" situation. How about you?

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 02-05-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #9  
Simply Filling Technique

Post Is This The Time That You Change Your Life?

I am very committed to leading this challenge for anyone and everyone who wishes to participate in it. However, I need to have a better response than I have seen in the past six weeks for this to really "take off" and be a "go to" place for others to gather on a daily and weekly basis.

For the time being, I am suspending this challenge thread. I felt that it was different from the other threads here so that I would not be competing but still offer something different.This challenge was meant to be a "life changer". Period.
It involves a paradigm shift.

I do need at least 5 committed people to keep this thread active in a way that makes it viable to both commit to and to offer experience as well as support.

If you are one of those 5 committed people please PM me within a week's time. If I can not get the people involved then unfortunately this will die on the vine.

I check daily since I post on other threads here on 3FC so please do so if you wish this challenge to continue. If you don't, then all I can say is "the people have spoken".

If you have a different idea for a thread but would like someone else to administer it please PM me on that as well. I have lead several challenges in the past successfully and I do know what it takes. It takes more than me to make it happen. If you feel you are not a part of something on this site and are looking for a place, this might be the place.

Otherwise, you have not heard the last from me, I will be back with another great challenge. Let me know what you would like to see and we will go from there. However, again, I really need at least 5 faithful people to make it a striving support thread.

I am waiting.

Take care, Pam