View Single Post
Old 02-03-2014, 02:01 PM   #4
Larry H

S/C/G: 317/259/155

Height: 5' 6"

pattygirl63 It is great to see someone else doing similar. The Volumetrics book says chunky soups give us better satiety. In addition to green beans I often add corn or peas but have to be mindful of calories in those. I also love to add no salt added canned mushrooms. I have not tried carrots yet but that is on my to do list.

Munchy You have given me many great ideas. It is so encouraging to see that you have been eating this way for 5-6 years and see your weight loss. That has reaffirmed my opinion that this can be a life style for me. How do you make zucchini noodles? Are they better than spaghetti squash? I love to cook and experiment.

The Volumetrics book is jam packed with suggestions for lowering the energy density of meals while maintaining satiety or the feeling of being full. While reading yesterday in the book I came across a suggestion to add 10 oz of water to casseroles to make a chunky soup and lower the energy density. That was kind of an AHA moment for me. Then I started thinking. I love eating comfort foods made with Hamburger Helper but the ingredients are loaded with sodium and calories. Lately I have been making several homemade healthier hamburger helpers. Such as the one in this link.

http://www.food.com/recipe/healthier...-helper-443822

I thought, why not turn this into a chunky soup by adding 10 oz of water as suggested by the Volumetrics Book. Then I can eat more while staying in my calorie allowance. I have not tried this yet but I intend to sometime this week.

Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote