General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:27 PM   #1  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What are you reading February 2014?

Its a new month! That means that it is time for new books! So, what are you reading this month?
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #2  
Starting Over Again

Currently Reading:
Lament by Maggie Stiefvater

Already Read:
Flesh & Bone by Jonathan Maberry
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder

Last edited by Psychic; 02-13-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:49 PM   #3  
I dream in sci-fi

S/C/G: 222/150/150

Height: 5'6"

Breaking the Spell: Religion as Natural Phenomenon by Daniel Dennett. I also get to see him speak on Saturday at a Darwin Day celebration at the local UU church. Gonna be so cool.
JuvenileNarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Still reading Ascendant, Game of Thrones, and In the Name of the Wind. I plan on having a reading day today, and hope to finish up The Ascendant so I can write my Goodreads review.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #5  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Juvenile, interesting topic. Can you summarise what he says when you finish? I probably won't read the book but i know the guy and interested in his views.

I should finish Dracula soon. Enjoying it. but i'd like to read a more contemporary novel soon. I need to read more contemporary fiction.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:51 PM   #6  
Meow

S/C/G: HW: 285+ / tracker

Height: 5'4"ish

- House Of Bathory by Linda Lafferty
- HP & the Order Of the Phoenix (I'm trying to finish the book series before I die so it's always on my reading list)
bugsiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Just finished up City of Ashes, the second book in the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.

Also started Except the Queen by Jane Yolen and Midori Snyder. I'm not too far in, but it's about fairies! So that's always promising
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #8  
I dream in sci-fi

S/C/G: 222/150/150

Height: 5'6"

Pattience, sure. I'm hoping to make some good headway before next Saturday. I expect it will be quite an interesting read.
JuvenileNarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #9  
Sailing the Grand Line!

S/C/G: 255/See Sig/130

Height: 5'8"

Hello all!
I'm a Young Adult genre addict (which I think has to do with reading whatever my students recommend) so my list may seem pedantic. However, I assure you these books are gooooood! If you ever need YA recs, you know who to PM

I've just finished Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell having also finished her other novel Fangirl.

I also finished the Divergent series not too long ago, I am a big dystopia fan. The series was good but in my opinion not worth quite the hype it's getting.

And then based on two recs from kids, I read a novel called Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (she's best known for Speak) and a novel called Nothing by Robin Friedman. Both deal with severe eating disorders so proceed with caution if you're easily triggered.

I try to read a book a week so I'll update my lists! It's awesome to see so many people reading.

Last edited by Thousandsunny; 02-02-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Thousandsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #10  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

I'm 88 pages in to Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin (745 pages in all!). I have no idea where it's going -- honestly, if I didn't know it would eventually become a love story, I would stop reading. Hope I enjoy it more as it goes along. I'm reading on the treadmill and recumbent bike at the gym. A really good book motivates me to get there, and I can only read while moving! I had hoped this one would be that good, but so far... eeh. Next up is The Book Thief.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:57 PM   #11  
Starting Over Again

bugsiee - I'm a total HP nerd. I hope you're enjoying the books! Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite.

penmage - I loved The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series. The movie, not so much, compared to the book. However, the movie was fine as a standalone. If they decide to continue the story though, they'll basically need to rewrite the books. Hollywood fails again. *cough* Eragon *cough*

Oh, and if you like fairies... You should check out The Iron Fey series, the Wicked Lovely series, and the Fever series.

Thousandsunny - I'm a YA fan as well. I lean towards fantasy (especially fairies and vampires), but I do read other books as well. I'm especially keen on the dystopian society books that are becoming abundant now. I did read Wintergirls a while back. I enjoyed it. If you like RL fiction about issues, Cut is a good book. And another that is very good is called Forbidden. It is about a brother & sister relationship though, so its not for everyone. It is extremely well written and heart-wrenching though.

Last edited by Psychic; 02-02-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:45 AM   #12  
Getting healthy!

Height: 5'7"

It's scary, but I haven't actually picked up a book to read in a month. AGH. I have been reading a ton of comics, though! Hellboy, Drumhellar, Rat Queens, Nextwave, The Killer... Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant!

I have a few that I was working on before I set 'em down for no reason. I'll probably pick 'em back up soon, since I wasn't even thinking about it. Anyway: Scowler by Daniel Kraus, Leviathan's Wake by James S.A. Corey, A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin (Duh, haha), and Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.

Last edited by Paramedic; 02-03-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Paramedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #13  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I just finished The War of Art by Steven Pressfield -- very useful for any creative endeavor, including losing weight!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #14  
Starting Over Again

Finally finished Poison Study. It was a very good book, but now I can't find the others. I'll need to look online to see if I can order it. It would need to be an used copy though, because its apparently only available as an e-book.
Old 02-06-2014, 10:38 AM   #15  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thousandsunny View Post
Hello all!
I'm a Young Adult genre addict (which I think has to do with reading whatever my students recommend) so my list may seem pedantic. However, I assure you these books are gooooood! If you ever need YA recs, you know who to PM

I've just finished Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell having also finished her other novel Fangirl.

I also finished the Divergent series not too long ago, I am a big dystopia fan. The series was good but in my opinion not worth quite the hype it's getting.

And then based on two recs from kids, I read a novel called Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson (she's best known for Speak) and a novel called Nothing by Robin Friedman. Both deal with severe eating disorders so proceed with caution if you're easily triggered.

I try to read a book a week so I'll update my lists! It's awesome to see so many people reading.
I enjoyed the Divergent series, but I have bad feeling that the movie is gonna be lame (and focus way too much on the romance). Still gotta read Allegiant though everyone says they didn't like how that one turned out. Haha.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote