View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 08:18 AM   #56
mars735
maintaining since 9/2013

S/C/G: 244/148/145

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
For more information go to this link on Sparkpeople (reputable site) http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...les.asp?id=893 Although it is true that there are no carbs (or at least less than one) in 1.5 oz of Scotch or Vodka your body will process the calories from alcohol first and everything else gets stored as you-know-what. Alcohol also lowers inhibitions even in moderation (that's why people use it to relax) so that little snack you are offered might get rationalized as OK when we all know it's a slippery slope.

I hate to sound so negative and yes I do use alcohol in moderation (I like fine scotches, good wines, and real potato vodka) but I'm not using it right now while I am carb counting because I know what it does to blood sugar. Part of the problem for alcoholics is a blood sugar issue that sets up the cravings or need for alcohol. NOT accusing anyone who partakes, just stating some facts
Another issue is that alcohol interferes with fat metabolism in the liver, slowing weight loss.