Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Default new to this forum, dx'd in May with Type 2

Hi, I used to post (way back in 2010) in the 100 club and then stopped. Guess what? I gained weight. Now I've been dx'd with D2 and I need to lose weight! I'm on Met twice a day and I'm sticking to a low carb diet. I started at 272 in May and am now weighing in at 230- 232 depending on the mood of my scale I also started walking and have been pushing myself to do a little more each day. I am now at 5 miles a day and I'm working on upping my speed.
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #2  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Wow, you are doing great. good for you, and welcome
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #3  

thanks, I don't get here much. Dealing with a lot of junk in my life right now and its raising my bs! Not junk food by the way. Just stuff!
Old 12-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #4  

checking in here. Sometimes the whole idea of diabetes gets to me. I've cut the carbs and I exercise 6 days a week. I just want a day off! This week a friend who also has diabetes ended up in the hospital with a heart attack. Scary. She has been ordered to take her diabetes "seriously" and get her bs down.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #5  
Madeleine

Well I would say you are doing well! Look at that weight loss!
Taking an occasional day off is not the end of the world, but can take you off track if you aren't careful. For me carbs make me crave more carbs, and next thing I know, I am overeating and eating tons of carbs, and too many calories period. SO if you decide to have a day or too of indulgence over the holidays, do it carefully and plan for the next days.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #6  

thanks, I think I was just having one of those days. I found some low carb/ gluten free baking recipes and hope that will take care of some of the cravings. I know just what you mean about 1 carby bite leading to the next.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #7  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

I spent the entire three weeks of the government shutdown eating carbs. A loaf of bread every other day. I gained almost 20 pounds (much of it water weight)... and my blood sugar was NOT happy. I'm pre-D, so it still didn't get up into diabetic territory, but it was higher than I like it after meals.

Sometimes you just have those days (or weeks, in my case). But for me, getting back "on the wagon" seems to be getting easier. And once I'm seriously low-carbing again I get into a "sweet spot" where I'm not very hungry any more, and I am not tempted by carby foods.

The plan is to stay in that sweet spot longer and longer each time.

You can do it! "Eat to your meter" and avoid the things that spike your BS. And keep on keeping on.

There are a LOT of great low-carb recipes out there. Look for Linda Sue's site. And read "Blood Sugar 101"... one of the clearest online resources I've found for managing diabetes T2.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #8  

Well, I managed to get through the holidays and found onederland for the New Year. I've been tweaking my diet here and there, still low carb and still gluten free but I've added more healthy fat into my diet. My hair stopped falling out~ I was losing a handful it seemed everytime I washed it. I bounced between 199 and 201 for most of January but in the past two weeks have started to see the scale move a bit.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #9  
Madeleine

you are inspiring. thanks for posting
Old 02-04-2014, 04:42 PM   #10  

thanks fatmad, feeling less than inspiring today. No change in diet or exercise just a BIG jump in the scale - up to 196.6 this morning. Drinking a gallon of water and hoping my body hasn't decided to revolt on me. My blood sugar has been high in the morning (around 130) but nothing else has changed. I eat low carb and gluten free and it is frustrating to see a spike over the last couple of days both in weight and in blood sugar.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:15 PM   #11  

Wow well done! I've just been diagnosed with Type 2 and struggling to manage my diabetes with my weight loss. Do you have any tips? How have you managed it? Keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll find something that works for me soon!
StrugglingSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 264/231/160

Height: 5'3"

I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in January....low carb is going pretty well for me. I'm down 34 lbs since September 2013....I take Metformin 2x per day at 1,000 each time. hang in there!!!!
Bingram35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:08 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 304/283/190

Height: 5'11"

I take metformin, myself.

HATE it, and HATE that I've got to really watch what's going on with my food, but I have to just treat it almost like an allergy. Its something I know doesn't "agree" with me(carbs), so I just try to limit it as much as I can.

I get ANGRY that I have to watch my diet all the time, though, LOL.

You can do it.

Dean
vwdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingram35 View Post
I was diagnosed as a Type 2 diabetic in January....low carb is going pretty well for me. I'm down 34 lbs since September 2013....I take Metformin 2x per day at 1,000 each time. hang in there!!!!
Wow, well done! I've just been diagnosed and have to 1 Metformin a day. I've been on Slimming World for a couple of years and it just hasn't been working for me. I'm thinking of trying something else to see if it has a better effect, but I'm now hoping my diabetes won't hinder any progress
StrugglingSlim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:09 AM   #15  

there are days still where I just want to quit, but I feel so much better than I did before I started that it keeps me going.

I went to the doctor last week and while my blood pressure was great, my A1c did not come down at all. I spent a couple of days grousing about that but on a diabetes forum I read I was reminded of the progressive nature of T2 diabetes and that not having my A1c change was actually still a win. I would have liked to see it lower but I'm grateful that it wasn't higher.

So, even though I thought "what's the use?" for a few minutes I didn't go off plan. I stay on plan by trying new recipes and finding things that work for my low carb, gluten free way of eating.