View Single Post
Old 01-31-2014, 01:15 AM   #22
hhm6

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardonnay View Post
Thanks hhm6 I can tell you exactly what I did from day 1, if you have nothing to do but read lol...it's not all that complicated. I'm a former bean-counter, so numbers are a big deal for me. My greatest tool was an excel sheet where I kept track of everything I ate, calories, workouts, calories burned and how I generally felt.

For food: I went to a bunch of different websites, just to figure out how much I needed to eat based on my BMR and TDEE. I saw how many calories I'd need based on being sedentary to MAINTAIN my 217 pounds...then I checked how many calories I'd need to weigh 207 pounds and I ate according to that. I'd do that every time I reached a 10 pound goal, then adjust to eat for someone who weighed 10 pounds lighter. I also realized I was drinking too much wine (which slows metabolism) and eating way too much cheese...gosh I love cheese....anyway, I very slowly changed my eating habits by adding fruits and vegetables. I cut down on the wine, but never gave it up. I only ate cheese once a week. I started to force myself to drink more water (didn't like water back then!)...I started to ease up on the flour products too, bread and pasta mainly. I had to cut out sweets pretty much cold turkey at first though because I didn't think I could eat them in moderation at that point.

For exercise: I'd gained 97 pounds in just over 1 year by being on meds, due to the rapid weight gain, my joints hurt and my ankles buckled, so I had to walk with a cane. I had no choice but to just start off by walking. I would just walk back and forth to the mail box and that's all I could handle. I made sure to do a 20 minute stretching routine daily though, to help my muscles remain flexible and injury-free.

After I lost the first 20 pounds, I could walk without the cane (woohoo!) and I joined the gym. I usually did 45 minutes of cardio with a full weight workout 3x a week, then 60 minutes of cardio 3x a week, then one day off. Always followed by stretching. In the winter I'd work out at home. When spring came, I was down to about 165, so I took up hiking in the mountains (I lived up north)...barely went to the gym, but continued the weight training at home.

That was 2+ years ago, last summer I reached 140 and well, didn't give up, but didn't try to lose any more really. I met my bf and we had a lot of fun, eating and going out...but this xmas, my little ab-flab was really bothering me when I wore a nice dress and had to hold my gut in all night at a party, so I decided to buck up and try to lose that last 15 pounds, so there you go. I'm back at the gym 3x a week to do cardio and weights, then 3x a week at home doing yoga. I'm eating for weight loss, actually just started an eating plan called 5:2, where you eat healthily for 5 days a week, then 2 non-consecutive days you "fast" (500 calories for women and 600 for men). Yesterday was our first fasting day (bf is doing it too) and it was easier than I thought. I think that'll help me to get rid of these pesky 140's!!!

Thanks for reading!!
Thank you for such a detailed response!! =) and wow! You really got it together and changing your cals every 10lbs I never even thought to do that! I don't know why but this time starting has become so much harder. I just can't seem to get a good grasp over it, and it's making me sad and almost willing to stay fat. I really need to get it together!

Would you recommend not exercising and just controlling calories? and how on earth do you fast!! and what do your 500 calories consist of?

Starting measurements
8/23/12--->42-37-45 (200lbs)
10/4/12--->41-37-44 (190lbs)
4/09/13--->40-36-42 (180lbs)
5/18/13--->40-34-42 (170lbs)---then the holidays happened
3/01/14--->40-34-42 (170lbs)

Lowest recorded weight as an adult -->160!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote