Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

oh and our Big Lots carries the Red Mill brand. They have GF steel cut oats, since I read that you like cereals.
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:34 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Bellamack, that is very interesting about the Vit D. I have chronic low Vit D - at least until this year. Two years ago at my physical, my D level was 7, (before that it has always been low - like 15 or so) and that was with taking 2000 units per day. Last year I started taking 5000 units a day, and dramatically cut back on my gluten consumption (not due to vit d, but because, like Kaplods and others, through experimentation I have found that fewer wheat products = less joint pain for me). When I had my D tested this past July it was 47.
I have not completely eliminated gluten or wheat from my diet, but I feel so much better when I avoid it that is usually incentive enough not to eat it.

And as for considering "about.com" a reputable website - ANYONE, credentialed or not, can write an article and have it published there! Please take what you find there with a grain of salt. (Unless you have hypertension, in which case, just be skeptical )
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #18  

fadedbluejeans, I think I have a great GP, does alot of reading and studying. If you have a sensitivity, not necessary an allergy or celiac's it still can effect those little hair-like villi and therefore can effect absorbtion, kind of interesting that your Vit D is in the 'good' range now. Mine also plummets to 6 or 7. Interesting

oh and I see we are from upstate NY, therefore lack of sunshine too...

Last edited by Bellamack; 01-07-2014 at 02:44 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 257/ticker/154

Height: 5'5.5"

Oh its beautifully sunny here today! If not for getting flash-frozen the minute you go outside it would be a lovely way to get some D
I'm in the Saratoga-Lake George region, BTW.
fadedbluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:57 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadedbluejeans View Post
Oh its beautifully sunny here today! If not for getting flash-frozen the minute you go outside it would be a lovely way to get some D
I'm in the Saratoga-Lake George region, BTW.
Beautiful part of NY.

I am in the Corning area and I like to knit ( I saw your "Keep Calm & Carry Yarn") lol

Last edited by Bellamack; 01-07-2014 at 02:58 PM. Reason: add
Old 01-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #21  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I've invested $30 in a noodler to make zucchini noodles - seriously good, but before I had the noodler I would often eat a bowl of fine green beans (frozen) with marinara and cheese.
Where did you buy a noodler?
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByAmbition View Post
Where did you buy a noodler?
I bought one on amazon - this is the one I have LINK

Let me know if that link doesn't work!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:12 PM   #23  
Goal is health

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
I bought one on amazon - this is the one I have LINK

Let me know if that link doesn't work!
That's pretty neat. Anymore tips, tricks, or gadgets?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:07 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenByAmbition View Post
That's pretty neat. Anymore tips, tricks, or gadgets?
I would suggest peeling the zucchini down into ribbons first, saute-ing them until soft (optional seasoning), then topping with sauce to make sure you like it before you buy the noodler. That way you can see if you really like it

Everything else I can think of I posted earlier in this thread. Oh, gluten free bread crumbs are super expensive, so instead of using them, I keep on hand a cheap gluten free chex crumb mix. I use them to bread my vegetable/chicken nuggets and in my meatballs that I keep frozen.

It becomes easier and easier with time.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:59 PM   #25  

The key to eating gluten free on a budget is to not buy all the gluten free replacements. You don't have to go crazy with crackers, breads, pastas, etc. The less processed stuff you buy, the less expensive it will be!

Also, sometimes if you like some of the company's on Facebook you get coupons, and if you sign up for emails. I know Udi's usually does $1 off coupons.

Some stores are also cheaper than others. I go to Shop Rite to get my Udi's for $4.99. Stop & Shop sells it for $5.99. You figure out where is cheaper after a few shopping trips around.

Good luck!
windorabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:55 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Default Gluten Free

Going with a Paleo or modified Paleo diet is a sure way to be GF. In addition, Paleo also looks at the glycemic index of a lot of foods and tends to be lower in that respect.

If you are trying to lose weight most of the GF breads (Pastas, cereals too) are dynamite... ...(very destructive to your weight battle)...
Rice flour is very high on the glycemic index...check out making your own using a lower GI flour like almond flour, but I actually suggest you consider eliminating anything that is a substitute for wheat that has a high glycemic index if you have a weight problem. You will find eliminating gluten in many cases does NOTHING for your weight...or makes it worse and this is why.
Sorry...that is not good news if you are looking to "replace" gluten products in your diet...but it is true!

Last edited by 65X65; 01-29-2014 at 07:55 AM.
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleRiverDee View Post
Not everyone responds well to giving up gluten, but I know a lot of people who don't have celiac disease who still felt MUCH better when they gave up gluten. Gluten is an anti-nutrient that has a cumulative deleterious effect on the body in many people. Not everyone. I also know people who simply avoid US and Canadian wheat but they can eat bread and such in Europe because their wheat isn't GMO with 80% gluten the way ours is. When you consider that saying "all things in moderation"...wheat is not eaten in moderation in the US. It's so ubiquitous in the US diet that it's not surprising at all that people develop sensitivities to it from over-exposure.
So true! My MD whom I've had for 30 years is also seriously into natural health and associated modalities and he suggested going totally GF since I had been doing wheat free for a couple of years but not having the best results.
Oats are OK if they are labelled GF and "clean" meaning they are not grown in rotation with wheat or processed in a facility that also handles wheat. A friend of mine can only eat wheat products from Europe and her doc explained to her about the excess gluten bred into North American wheat - after all, more gluten means a product can hold more air and what's cheaper -air or grain in baked goods?
I know it seems to have become a big 'fad' now but perhaps it's because so many people are having reactions to the excesses in our diets. Like kids who have breakouts during strawberry season because they eat so much of the berries every day. It only makes sense that we need more variety, and processed foods are really all about what is cheapest and tastiest to get us to buy more.
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 08:32 PM   #28  
Goal is health

People weren't kidding when saying be careful of "gluten-free" foods. I had pillsbury chocolate chip gluten free cookie dough and think I'm reacting (pretty sure)... Ugh.