Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 27 - February 2

This deep cold does seem to call for snacks. Thankfully, I'm on a quest to keep snacks under control so this hasn't been a problem. But more snacks appear in my face with the chill.

I finished reading Mary Poppins to catch up on what I'd missed as a child. The charm was there. But, as I in retrospect should not be surprised from a 1934 book, it was racist. Ouch. When Mary takes the kids on a magic journey in the four directions of the compass, they discover the stereotypes that we're trying to eliminate from children's books. What a shame; it'll probably keep the P. L. Travers version from coming back, leaving the Disney version as the final.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #2  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Super cold here too -- low for tonight is -17, and that's not including windchill. It's crazy because it was 43 yesterday.

Bill, DH is reading the Arabian/1001 Nights right now and it is horrifying how racist and sexist it is. Good thing the babies are too young to understand because most of their storytime is just him reading out loud whatever he happened to be reading anyway since they just like to listen to him talk.

Dagmar, I don't have any intention of giving Carter away! I don't think he has any intent to be aggressive to the babies, even though he gets jealous sometimes. I am planning to take him to the vet to get him checked out and get recommendations about training. We're just having a really hard time getting this taken care of between being busy with babies, subzero temperatures, and Carter being incapable of getting in and out of the car on his own because of his bad back (and I'm not strong enough to lift him, and he refuses to use a ramp). Plus our previous experience with training was that a massive amount of time and effort was required to get any behavior change, and while I have plenty of effort to give I have next to zero time.

Here is a cute story about Carter and the babies instead though to show that he does actually care about them -- the other day Carter got spooked by some ice chunks falling off the roof (DH thinks, I was at work and he didn't see exactly what freaked him out). Carter was really worried and was shivering and whining and pacing back and forth in front of the door to the nursery where the babies were napping, so DH opened the door so that Carter could check on them. He sniffed at them and made sure they were okay and then was much more relaxed!

Last edited by paperclippy; 01-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:55 AM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Morning all,

There are rumors that it will snow and/or ice on Wednesday. In Florida. This just isn't right. I'm supposed to have jury duty Wed, but if it ices, I'm staying home. Southern people don't know how to drive in ice, and we have multiple long bridges where icing could occur and accidents would follow. I enjoyed the nicer, relatively warmer and calmer weather over the weekend while it was here.

I had a pretty low key weekend which is how I think I'll try to plan them all for the next few months, because it allowed me to get my course work done for the week without stress about time. I did go to a dinner Saturday night for a friend who used to live here who was in town for her birthday weekend with a group of new friends. It was awkward. I tried to be friendly and make conversation with the people I hadn't met before, but they were very closed off and didn't reciprocate conversation. There were a few of us who knew each other, and we all left early. I went to a brunch Sunday morning with a friend I hadn't seen in a while and met some new, nice people there. Other than that, I studied for class, did my taxes, and put together some new shelves and filled them for my office reorg project.

Emma and I took really long jogs & walks Sat & Sun morning and enjoyed the nice weather. Food-wise, I'm starting to think that the winter will entail a lot of sandwiches for dinner. I'm not really motivated to cook more than a big pot of (healthy) soup per week and have been making some yummy citrus and Greek salads, but that's it and I don't have extra time anyway. I need to give myself permission for this since I feel the need to cook a full meal often. As long as there is lean meat, whole grains, and lots of veggies this is ok health-wise.

Bill, I'm picturing you sitting in a comfy chair reading Mary Poppins and some alien force levitating snacks to dance in a circle around your head. Do others keep bringing them in the house or is it a matter of them just being there, calling to you? Good for you for having willpower! I agree, cold weather makes me want to eat too.

Jessica, I'm glad Carter is doing ok with the girls. If he identifies them as part of the family and watches over them like that, and you guys are committed to making it work (even if you don't have a lot of time right now), I'm sure it will be ok. He sounds so sweet.

Allison, how are you and your family doing today?
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:14 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Bill, with this kind of cold, the only snack I want is a snifter of single malt! Re the books, it is funny (and a relief) how fast cultures can evolve. I hate to see revisionist history, even in fiction - it needs to be explained, it should be contrasted to current norms ... but it shouldn't be hidden or destroyed. That is the stuff of regimes that should not be emulated. I'm the kid of a librarian - is it showing?

Jessica, that's so sweet of Carter to check on them! That's too bad that he doesn't appreciate what the ramps can do for him. He could probably learn ... but there's that "time" commodity again.

Remodeling supposedly starts later this morning. School was cancelled at the last minute (we had just come back in from starting the car to warm up), so I am working from home. No point in doing battle with the roads when I can do everything from right here. And if something else needs to be moved out the way, at least I'll be here. DH and I have fled to the basement office/guest bedroom for the duration; while they will do their best with dust mitigation, I've been through this before.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #5  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Re the books, it is funny (and a relief) how fast cultures can evolve. I hate to see revisionist history, even in fiction - it needs to be explained, it should be contrasted to current norms ... but it shouldn't be hidden or destroyed. That is the stuff of regimes that should not be emulated. I'm the kid of a librarian - is it showing?
You put so well what I was thinking but couldn't put into words!
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #6  
slow and steady

Megan, a big pot of soup and some salads are already doing better than I am. Babies were a mess yesterday and I ended up getting takeout BBQ for dinner. Dinner was ribs, ribs, more ribs, steak fries, potato chips, and pineapple. This was after a weekend of eating pasta and bagels. Sigh. At least I'm taking my vitamins even when I don't manage to get actual veggies in. I packed myself some baby carrots and some snow peas along with my leftover bbq for lunch today. Part of the problem is that DH doesn't buy easy veggies when he goes to the grocery ("easy veggies" = prewashed bagged salad, bell peppers, zucchini; "hard veggies" = anything requiring a lot of washing and preparation). Since he does most of the cooking these days that's usually okay, but when I'm looking for something I can throw together in 15 minutes it doesn't work. Luckily we have a lot of frozen veggies.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

While you all are suffering from the intense cold we're getting unseasonably warm temperatures. I'm considering opening the bedroom sliding door to let in cooler air tonight as it's getting a bit warm for sleeping. I like to sleep when it's really cold and then cuddle in my down comforter. Last night I had to push the comforter and some of the blanket off for heat relief.

It's still sad in our house. We put up a memorial to Chico in the hall where we did the same for CC and Buddy. I guess we should call it the dead dog hall now. I need to add a little to his and may do so later today. Saturday night my son called me. That was so sweet of him. But yeah, still in tears this morning as routine points out that he is not here with us.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #8  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
While you all are suffering from the intense cold we're getting unseasonably warm temperatures. I'm considering opening the bedroom sliding door to let in cooler air tonight as it's getting a bit warm for sleeping. I like to sleep when it's really cold and then cuddle in my down comforter. Last night I had to push the comforter and some of the blanket off for heat relief.

It's still sad in our house. We put up a memorial to Chico in the hall where we did the same for CC and Buddy. I guess we should call it the dead dog hall now. I need to add a little to his and may do so later today. Saturday night my son called me. That was so sweet of him. But yeah, still in tears this morning as routine points out that he is not here with us.
Same thing up here in NoCal, allinnell. The weight loss took away my cold tolerance so I'm enjoying this warmth, unsettling as it is.
Years later, I still tear up, if I let myself, when I think of Marshmallow my cat, and still lapse into second guessing what I should have done differently at the end. Animals are such special friends and guides, really. I wish it didn't hurt so much when they die but I guess it's in proportion to how much space they occupy in our hearts. May it soon ease a little for you...

Last edited by mars735; 01-27-2014 at 09:53 AM.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:52 AM   #9  

Hi Allison, I actually just posted a longish condolence note to you on last week's site.
Good luck to all with this cold weather (except people in Hawaii and southern California I suppose). Karen and I have been spoiled in years past, being able to take a week off every winter to vacation in warmer climes. The green leaves on the trees, the fragrant blossoms, the warm water, all had the effect of breaking up the winter. Even with the alternating the warm and cold spells, now that we can't afford to vacation, winter seems twice as long. Still on track to lose the weight I gained over the holidays tho.
ChrisMohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post

I'm so sorry still. I know your heartbreak too well. We have the ashes of three of our most beloved dogs in my office. I imagine them keeping each other company.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #11  
Workin' It

I'm so sorry, Allison.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
This deep cold does seem to call for snacks. Thankfully, I'm on a quest to keep snacks under control so this hasn't been a problem. But more snacks appear in my face with the chill.

I finished reading Mary Poppins to catch up on what I'd missed as a child. The charm was there. But, as I in retrospect should not be surprised from a 1934 book, it was racist. Ouch. When Mary takes the kids on a magic journey in the four directions of the compass, they discover the stereotypes that we're trying to eliminate from children's books. What a shame; it'll probably keep the P. L. Travers version from coming back, leaving the Disney version as the final.
Books are funny things, When I was 14 I read "My Antonia" By Willa Cather,Loved loved, loved that book, Over the years I would plan on reading it again .Finally as an adult went down to the library and checked out a copy,Funny thing, it didntt have the charm as an adult as it did when I was 14.I was sort of disappointed.

Last edited by bargoo; 01-27-2014 at 01:39 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Books are funny things, When I was 14 I read "My Antonia" By Willa Cather,Loved loved, loved that book, Over the years I would plan on reading it again .Finally as an adult went down to the library and checked out a copy,Funny thing, it didntt have the charm as an adult as it did when I was 14.I was sort of disappointed.
That's interesting. I read My Antonia about 3 or 4 years ago and loved it but couldn't get into any of her other books.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:33 PM   #14  
slow and steady

Allison, I said this already on facebook but I'm so sorry for your loss.

Bargoo, I had the same experience with some books I loved in high school by Mercedes Lackey. Rereading them as an adult they were just annoying teen angst.

Here's a photo DH sent me at work today that he titled "Carterbug and friends." I think it's kind of hilarious because for some reason it looks like Carter was photoshopped in!
Old 01-27-2014, 08:39 PM   #15  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I got lucky for the long drive Upstate, and just passed through one scary snow squall in the Catskills -- that was all, the rest of the way the snow had drifted but not completely across the road. My compensation was seeing a bald eagle perched on the very top of a cellphone tower.

Now I'm in my mother's house and realizing how sore my throat is, and also that my mother hasn't left the house for a couple days except to shovel or blowout her driveway. We'll get out there while I'm visiting. I can tell when she's been shut in too long.

What a winter this is turning out to be.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote