Old 01-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Default I'm on a Diet.. The rest of my household isn't

I had a diet reboot on January 1st like I am sure a lot of us here did. I have been obviously eating less and eating healthier. I do awesome while I'm at work, I bring my breakfast, lunch, and snacks with me. But night time at my house is a nightmare!!

I am caring for my elderly mother who lives with me and my s/o. My mom has to have pepsi, potato chips, dip, ice cream and cookies in the house at all times. My s/o is also a pepsi holic and cookie monster.

I had to give up all caffeine, doctors orders and also was told to keep my sodium under 1800 grams daily. The caffeine was easy for me to stop, unfortunately those potato chips and that french onion dip have derailed me the past two evening. I can really tell the next day that I ate way to much sodium because it effects the condition I have but I can't seem to stop myself even though I know it is bad for my health LITERALLY!

Not really a question, just a vent! I am feeling kinda defeated and I have the pre TOM munchies really bad this week. [sigh.............]

Last edited by SmallSteps; 01-28-2014 at 05:18 PM.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 04:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

I'm sorry! Being the only one in the house on a different eating plan is rough.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/210/155

It does suck to be in that situation. I'm in a similar one as the people I live with aren't dieting... and there are oreos and other sweets just hanging out in our kitchen when that's something I'm not eating right now!
amerrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #4  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

I know how you feel While I'm trying to lose weight, my fiance (who I live with) is trying to gain weight. So while I'm sipping on fresh vegetable juice, he's eating chicken sandwiches and french fries. >:/ it's so tough, but when I get through to the end of the day without giving in it's a pretty rewarding feeling.
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

yup, same boat with a son and a lanky sweet eating husband - and I do most of the cooking and shopping. I just try and stay focused and NEVER run out of snacks that I enjoy that are good for me, otherwise I am doomed!!
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

I have a house full of teenagers and young adults. They are eating machines so I just have to say no. I am a diabetic so the junky carby stuff they eat is a no no for me. I make them potatoes or rice and me cauliflower or cabbage (yummy under a stir fry)

I eat low carb/gluten free so I keep some things in the house just for me. Frozen berries, cabbage, cauliflower, real butter, coconut oil, and lots of flax meal and cocoa. I really am not tempted to eat the high carb stuff anymore. I think going off of sugar has helped with the temptations. I've been eating this way since last summer so with time it has gotten easier to figure out what to eat and what not to.

I am the grocery shopper so we don't buy chips (other than for a meal like taco salad) or cookies. The kids all bake so if they want something the ingredients are here and they bake a couple of times a week. The only thing I have a problem with is my husband's popcorn addiction! He is NOT allowed in the bedroom with it! After dinner I tend to stay away from the kitchen but I really haven't had a problem with eating the junk they enjoy. I have my own "junk" that I enjoy!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #7  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories. I am happy to say I stayed OP yesterday and those evil chips had no place in my world last night! This morning I had a 1.8 loss on the scale.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I eat separate meals from my family. You soon get used to it even if, as in my case, they never will.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #9  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

It's really not so bad. It gives me an excuse to cook because I'm responsible for preparing what I eat so I will know exactly what I eat. In my case, Gluten-free lifestyle may not be easy with a house full of gluten eaters, but I can't tell you how much better I am feeling! I love the way I feel when I am eating healthy, and look forward to my life-style this way.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:45 PM   #10  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Also, don't think of it as "being on a diet." You are changing your "diet". Diet meaning "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually"

Take it one day at a time, and enjoy the benefits!
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

SmallSteps, vent away I despair sometimes (like all the time) of finding my steely resolve, as my DH is a great cook and loves food and does all the shopping...big amounts of good food is OK but the junk food is here too I know no one is forcing me to eat it but it sure makes it more difficult. Congrats on your almost 2 pound loss this morning! Success will make it more do-able to resist won't it
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #12  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

For the most part we already eat really, really healthy and the whole family are health-food lovers/vegetarians. But I still have to pass on all their brown rice, whole-grain bread, quinoa pasta, and various desserts. Carbs are my kryptonite.

Because I have chosen a low-carb lifestyle and they are not fully converted yet, I eat at the same time as my family but I sometimes eat different foods. My husband is on the way over to low(ish) carb, though, so more and more we are all on the same page with regard to diet.
The big exception is the school snacks I buy for the kids. I still get them granola bars and cookies to bring to school. Mostly because I am too lazy to make them homemade healthier snacks. lol
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:39 PM   #13  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

My mom and I are both on a diet and trying to get healthy, My mom has already lost 40 pounds and I've only lost 3 so far, I started my weight loss journey on Jan. 16th and My mom has been dieting for a year so thats why she has lost more then me but anyway my boyfriend is also living with my mom and I and he isnt on a diet and what he buys looks so good but I fight temptation and I dont ask him for any of his snacks
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 PM   #14  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I understand because I have been there. My husband and grown sons have there food that I can't eat. I had to develop an attitude that it is their food, not mine. One bright point, it gets easier the longer that you resist the food. Be sure to kept plenty of food that you can eat as that makes it a little easier to resist the junk. You can do this!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #15  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hugs
Just take it one day at a time!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote