Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2014, 11:49 AM   #1  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

Default How do you feel when you look at your BEFORE before pictures?

Like, before you gained a lot of weight. I've been overweight ever since I was little, but when I look back at pictures of me when I weighed 180 pounds... I can't believe the self-image I had back then. I might've been overweight, but I didn't look unhealthy like I do now:

That was taken when I weighed between 180-200 pounds.
As heartbreaking as it is to look in the mirror and see how I let myself go (100 pounds later...) it's also kind of encouraging to look back at these pictures and know someday, I will be confident again.

Do you ever look back at your old pictures and get encouraged? Do you post them anywhere to keep yourself inspired?

I know looking at other people's before and after pictures is extremely inspiring/motivating, but do you find inspiration when looking at your old pictures of your smaller self?
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Ya know, there are hardly any pics of me pre-gain. For a lot of my 20's I weighed between 120 and 130 pounds, but the only pic I have is wearing a big leather jacket and you can't really see my body at all. You can see that my face/neck are much slimmer, but it's a terrible pic. I think it would be motivating if I had some good pics.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #3  

That time was the only time I ever really let myself be in pictures. I felt so upset looking at those when I wasn't really being proactive about weight loss. However, now that I am working on it I don't mind looking at them at all, even if I am not as thin as I was before (getting there!)

I think my issue is "getting over" that things might not be the same. I could be the same weight, approx the same size, but maybe my proportions will be slightly different, maybe I won't like rewearing my old thin clothes because styles have changed over time. I tend to be harder on myself than I think I should be.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #4  

Interesting topic...My siggy will tell you my weight history. ...anyway it depends on my mood. If I'm feeling positive, a pic of me at a low weight will be motivation...if I'm feeling down it will only make me feel worse, like I still ahve sooo much to go. I stay away from those pics if I'm already feeling bummed out.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 222/124/?

I am always surprised because I can't believe how much I must have been eating to be the 250-260lbs I was in my fattest pic. I am embarrassed of it. Motivation not to go back, that is for sure.
CrabNebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #6  
On my way to -70

S/C/G: 202/192/132lbs

Height: 5'4''

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
That time was the only time I ever really let myself be in pictures. I felt so upset looking at those when I wasn't really being proactive about weight loss. However, now that I am working on it I don't mind looking at them at all, even if I am not as thin as I was before (getting there!)

I think my issue is "getting over" that things might not be the same. I could be the same weight, approx the same size, but maybe my proportions will be slightly different, maybe I won't like rewearing my old thin clothes because styles have changed over time. I tend to be harder on myself than I think I should be.
I feel the same way! When I was not doing anything about my weight, I would hate looking at those pictures, because it upset me that I was not that thin and healthy anymore, and that I did not have the willpower to snap out of my bad eating habits. But now that I'm working on losing weight and I'm doing great, I enjoy looking at those pictures. I actually set them as my desktop background for motivation. One day, I hope, I am going to look at my "before" pictures (before I started losing weight) and feel thankful that I'm not there anymore. One day...
Paulitens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:28 PM   #7  
it's always something

I feel sad when I look at my 'before' photos because I didn't see it at the time. That's not what I saw when I looked in the mirror. It's strange. And sad.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #8  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

The before before, well, that's just normal to me, that's me.
When I look at the before picture (after I gained 97 pounds): disgusted
Now: relief

Last edited by Chardonnay; 01-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #9  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

I see pictures of when I was in high school and i'm guessing I weighed 180s range and I don't see a fat girl but I FELT FAT.....I see pictures of me at my highest weight around 270 and again at 240 and I look fat, I FELT FAT...and I see pictures of me now in the 180s range and I look a lot smaller but I STILL FEEL FAT....pictures look different to me but when I see myself in the mirror, I don't feel like any EVER changed....gaining weight, losing weight, I still feel the same about myself and I don't see a big change in the mirror despite what pictures say

and I've NEVER felt horrible about myself...I've never felt disgusted or hated myself....granted sometimes I didn't like what I saw but I've never felt all that bad or ashamed or anything....if fat's the worst thing you can call me, then i'm doing pretty good in life
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC View Post
I feel sad when I look at my 'before' photos because I didn't see it at the time. That's not what I saw when I looked in the mirror. It's strange. And sad.
Ditto!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #11  
Harness that energy.

S/C/G: 164.5/147.7/135

Height: 5'4"

I feel pretty disappointed looking at the before pictures and that I had let myself get heavy and looking very STOUT. =P Especially fat face. Don't like the fat face!

But it makes me feel happier at where I am now.
LilDazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 AM   #12  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

When I look at "before" pics, those are really pictures throughout my whole life, (because I've been up and down this weight roller coaster ALOT), mostly I feel frustrated that I couldn't seem to learn any lessons about how to STAY healthy. Years, and years, and years of NOT learning.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #13  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I really don't have any, unless you count childhood photos from long before I'd hit puberty. I'm still obese but am currently smaller than I ever have been as an adult, so I'm kind of in a weird place.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:13 PM   #14  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Me too. Any pictures of me at a normal weight date back to age 16, so they're not much motivation. my fattest oictures? I like using them beside progress pictures, but I don't dwell on them. That's not who I am anymore.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:05 PM   #15  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

Oh, wow....This really made me think, actually.

I don't know what weight I was on the last pictures before I started really gaining. Probably somewhere between 175 - 190. Having being overweight for as long as I can remember, I obviously felt bad about myself back then.

Going through those pictures, I feel that I shouldn't have been so hard on myself. Yes, I was heavier than I should have been, but I actually think I looked pretty good considering. I feel sad that I really let myself go like I did, and it makes me want to go back to that time. I could've done anything to just wake up tomorrow and be where I was at, because it wasn't as bad as I thought, and it sure was better than now!
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote