Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #1  

Question Thinking of switching from ideal protein

Due to financial reasons I am thinking about switching from ideal protein to Adkins has anyone done this? I have done Adkins before and really like it
anp1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #2  
Sue finding inner song

S/C/G: 313.4/298.2/160

Height: 5' 4" 3/4

Come on in here! If it worked for you in the past and you can LIVE with it.. then start now! We are all here to talk too and JerseyGirl is always here to help with your questions! I feel GOOD! LOL
wannaskipandlaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #3  

Its Atkins, not Adkins. Welcome to the group. It works so well.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/242/165

Height: 5'9"

anp1984, did you switch? I was hoping to see someone who had successfully switched and was losing on Atkins.

I was doing IP for 6 weeks, my weight loss stalled, and I am thinking of switching to Atkins. I did South Beach in the past and lost well, until I added in too many carbs and fell off.

The price of IP is way too much, my coach is not very helpful, and I do not like eating all the artificial/processed packets. I think they make me feel sick.
kcandponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW 175/140/125

Height: 5'5

Hey. I did IP and switched after 4 weeks. You still lose ifyounstay on induction however past that the weight loss slows and isn't as fast as ip. But on induction it is!
Keish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/155/125

Height: 5' 3.5"

Welcome anp1984.

I followed IP before getting pregnant on my youngest and lost all the weight I wanted before getting pregnant in 2012. After having my daughter I had all the intention of going back to IP but I just couldn't. I would start the day all motivated and by mid afternoon losing all my resolve.

I did Atkins/lowcarb back in 2004 and again reached goal. Now I am back to lowcarb and this is my second week! Comparing the two plans, I think I lost about the same amount on both, but then I am a slow loser and do not expect to lose more than a pound a week, if that!

I really think you would do great on any plan if you are determined to make that plan work for you. It is not the plan, it is you that make it work.

I still read that board often for motivation. One poster, dak1lls, switched from IP to alternative, after 8 weeks, for financial reason, and continue to lose weight at the same rate. You might like to read her posts and consider doing that if you like the IP plan.

Good luck.
rachelearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/192/140

Im thinking of making the switch also do to cost!
smileyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 189/160/143

Height: 5'6"

I've just made the switch. I didn't like all the processed foods and fake sugars. I still have some. IP packets that I'll eat once in a while, but I like how I feel on whole foods MUCH better.
KnitSewSpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

I am switching over from IP as well. I have actually been on it for 16 months - and let's just say I have pretty much no savings left!

I also found that with having gluten allergies, I was stuck with very few IP products I could eat, and they were all the sweet stuff - which I just realized after 8 months of losing and regaining and losing the same 30+ pounds, the sweet things trigger my binge habits.

I am an all or nothing person and I can't have chocolate or something sweet each day and not go over board after a few weeks.

Plus like others, I really don't like the idea of all teh chemicals I eat and I have only been eating one solid meal a day for almost a year and a half. I can't do it any more. So tomorrow is my first Atkins day (tried for today but already blew it this morning).
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #10  
Enjoying the journey

S/C/G: 225/192/170

Height: 5-5.5

Hi Kat117 - Welcome to Atkins!! Be kind to yourself and take it "one meal at a time" - if the morning doesn't work out as planned, try to re-set for the next snack/meal. It may not be perfect at first but once you get into a groove it seems to get easier!! Best wishes!! You will find a lot of support on this forum!!
Lulu NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186.4/179.0/135

Height: 5'3"

I tried IP too and found the packaged food okay but I need more flexibility and Atkins seems more like a lifestyle change I can live with forever. I still can't believe I can eat cheesy, creamy, bacony stuff on this plan.
rdexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #12  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Switched

I switched to the Atkins protocol two weeks ago. Weight still coming off at 2 to 3 punds a week. However, I have added in 30 minutes of mild cardio eah day. NEVER felt better and my pocketbook is a lot "healthier" also. My wife is following the IP protocol and just using Atkins products, she is still on track as if it were IP, but better foods. I still believe there is no "hocus pocus" involved, just the fact that you are on a 900 calorie/day diet. Less cals in, more weight off.
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 193.5/163.5/150

Height: 5'2"

I had considered trying IP, went to a informational meeting but decided the cost was too much for me and started Atkins instead. I have a friend who went to that meeting with me and she ended up doing IP. We both started out around the same weight, started about the same time and we have both lost almost the same weight. She has lost an extra pound or two but I have diabetes and she doesn't, so that is somewhat expected. Difference being she feels like she is struggling to stay on the diet, does not entirely enjoy the food she is eating and considers it temporary. I have been eating like a Queen, LOVE the food I am eating and I entirely anticipate eating low carb for the rest of my life. Also, there are cheaper alternatives to IP. I primarily eat real food but I supplement with prepared/convenience products from Wonderslim and Bariwise. They are low carb, higher protein products (some are aspartame free - which I prefer) that are much cheaper than IP (especially when bought on sale!)
CAPECODWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: Peak 300/Restart 270/Goal 130

Height: 5'4.5'

if you need products to supplement while on Atkins, I buy stuff from Nashua Nutrition's website. It is low carb/high protein stuff. Most is made with sucrolose instead of aspartame (which stimulates your pancreas in the same exact manner as sugar).

I was on Ideal Protein for 16 months and struggled after month 5 to stay on it because of the excessive restrictions in food, and the fact that most of it was liquid. Plus at 80 bucks a week and still buying protein and veggies I have spent over $7000 just for food!!!!!

Atkins is the same exact thing as Ideal Protein - it is a ketogenic diet that is high protein, low carb. But IP is also low fat and I found it wasn't enough fat for my brain to work properly.
Kat117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:46 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 193.5/163.5/150

Height: 5'2"

Wondering how those that switched are doing?? Still being successful? Which do you prefer?
CAPECODWOMAN is offline   Reply With Quote