View Single Post
Old 01-28-2014, 11:03 PM   #47
shcirerf
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Good evening declutterers! Is that a word?

Anyway, my sisters and I are working with Mom, to get through all of the issues with taking care of cleaning out Grandmothers house, and helping Mom with her clutter.

It is an odd situation. Grandma is a clean, tidy person, even now, in the nursing home, fussy about her clothes, hair, makeup and everything just so. Mom, is a hoarder! My sisters and I while some days, life gives us a full trash can, and laundry here and there, and sink full of dirty dishes, it never lasts very long. 2 days, max, and gotta clean sweep. We don't have the time to be unorganized.

Mom has actually been pretty good about not wanting to move all of Grandma's stuff to her house, so that's a win.

But trying to convince Mom, that her house need to be cleaner and more clutter free, not so much. She just does not care.

I could handle a bit of clutter, but it's to the point, that for her, at her age it's a health, and safety issue. The house is a fire trap! Not to mention a food, health hazard!

Sisters and I are practicing patience, while encouraging Mom to let us help out more. She is getting more receptive, but it will be a time consuming project.

So, for those of you who do struggle with the clutter issue, could you help me with advice, on how, is the best way to go about helping an older, and somewhat, disabled family member, who has entirely to much "stuff"?

3+ year maintainer.
The human body is capable of amazing things! But without the mind, it is nothing. Get your mind in gear and the body will follow!

Be selfish about caring for yourself, you deserve it!