Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

Default The Slow Carb Diet (Thread 2)

Welcome! Whether you are doing the actual Tim Ferriss The Four-Hour Body Slow Carb Diet or a modified version, you are welcome to post your progress here!

I have not read The Four-Hour Body nor do I plan to since I'm happy doing a modified version of the Slow Carb Diet. However, there are others on this thread who have read the book or are in the process of reading it, so if you are following the book diet to a tee, they may be able to answer any book-specific questions you have and/or discuss book details with you. I learned about the Slow Carb Diet after reading an article about it on Huffington Post and then doing some research online. I'm so glad I decided to give it a try because it works for me!

I am carb-sensitive, and on the Slow Carb Diet, I never feel "starved" (as I always have while dieting in the past) because my blood sugar no longer spikes and drops daily. I also never feel deprived because this diet includes a cheat day when I can eat any foods I want. Also, I'm not much of an exerciser, but I try to walk for 20-30 minutes each day, and that's perfectly fine. Although exercise is recommended, it is not required. The Slow Carb Diet is not for everyone though. Some people don't do well going low-carb. Others don't do well having a cheat day. Everybody's different!

The gist of the Slow Carb Diet is: For 6 days of the week, eat lean (preferably organic) meats and fish/seafood, eggs, legumes, and non-starchy veggies. (Sugar-free Jello, 16 oz. of diet soda per day, and 1-2 glasses of red wine per day are also allowed.) On these 6 days, avoid breads/grains, dairy (except for cottage cheese), pasta, fruits (except for tomatoes and avocados), sweets, and starchy vegetables. The 7th day of the week (you choose the day) is a "cheat day," when you can eat anything at all as much as you want, including anything on the forbidden list. The cheat day is recommended to keep you from feeling deprived so you'll stay on the diet and to shake up your metabolism each week to keep it from stalling. Ferriss recommends eating 20 grams of protein with each meal, eating 30-60 minutes within waking up in the morning, eating the same meals over and over, having five low-carb days before taking a cheat day, and some other fine details, which I don't really know because I haven't read the book, lol!

I am a big believer in doing what works for you (as long as it DOES work), so modifying the diet to your own specifications is perfectly acceptable here! My personalized plan looks like this:

For 6 days of the week, I eat
--meat (and not necessarily lean or organic)
--fish
--legumes (including baked beans)
--eggs
--non-potato veggies
--veggie-like fruits (like tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, etc.)
--nuts and seeds in moderation (a handful)
--peanut butter in moderation (not natural, just regular Jif)
--cottage cheese
--black and green olives
--condiments and sauces (including ketchup and honey bbq sauce)
--full-fat salad dressings (usually ranch)
--a sprinkle of shredded cheese on my salads or omelets
--Sugar-free Jello
--breaded convenience/fast food meats like chicken tenders (It's too much trouble to try to peel the breading off, so I just allow it since I don't eat these foods very often.)

and I drink
--Six to eight 8 oz. glasses of water a day, often flavored with Mio Liquid Water Enhancer
--Diet Dr. Pepper
--Green tea, sweetened with Splenda

For these 6 days, I avoid
--breads and grains (including corn)
--pasta
--dairy (other than cottage cheese and a sprinkle of shredded cheese)
--fruits (except veggie-like fruits)
--potatoes
--sweets

I count no calories. I count no carbs. I count no grams. I don't eat within 30-60 minutes of waking up. I don't eat every 4 hours. I don't pay attention to numbers at all. I don't eat the same meals over and over. I eat when I'm hungry. I stop when I'm full, and I try not to eat late at night, although if I'm hungry, I will.

The 7th day of the week (I've chosen Saturday, although I'll move it for a special occasion) is Cheat Day! Woohoo! I eat WHATEVER I want as much as I want, but again, I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I do gain between .5 and 2.5 lbs the day after cheat day, but it's just water weight and it usually falls back off in the next couple of days while I continue to lose fat. It's all figured into the plan, so I don't worry about it.

A helpful site that will tell you if a food is allowed on the book diet is http://www.eslowcarbdiet.com/.

If you are interested in reading our 1st Slow Carb Diet thread, it is here: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/othe...carb-diet.html.

If you are already doing the Slow Carb Diet or if you want to give it a try, I hope you'll join us! Post as often or as little as you like. Weigh when you want to or don't weigh at all. Post your meals and exercise if you're so inclined or you don't have to. Good luck!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-21-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 AM   #2  

Not enough water yesterday! You have to drink water to get your body to release water, so today I definitely need to drink up!

Week 27:
1/18: 168 Cheat Day
1/19: 170.5
1/20: 170
1/21: 171
1/22:
1/23:
1/24:

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
Lunch: a large veggie salad topped with black olives, chopped walnuts, tunafish, and ranch dressing, Mio water
Snack: Sugar-free Jello, Diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: ribeye steak, canned seasoned black beans, a teapot of green tea, Mio water

Today's Exercise:
Evening: Leslie Sansone 2-mile indoor walking video

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-21-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #3  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Thanks Jacqui It as got to be water/sodium, so we know it'll be gone in no time Jacqui you can close the other thread since you were the one that started it, under thread tools (didn't know if you knew that . The moderators will if they catch it otherwise it will stay open like several others. I just close all of mine on my own (always weigh in threads of course )

Missy you are really hard on yourself. I would love to be your weight but I do understand your frustration … It is more than like water we we don't gain weight that fast, you'll be fine I weigh and measure unless I'm away form home. That's the only way I get accurate counts in MFP. If I create the dish I make a new recipe for me in MFP. Missy Midol, works for me during TOM. Helps with the bloating during that time for sure. I only need it the first day.

Pamela that was me and no you shouldn't count calories. I just wanted to know if you did what the count was but I can easily write it down and add it up in MFP Though not funny because you didn't sleep/rest well I go to bed like that every night and I have yet to figure out why. I get in the bed I'm comfortable, then I get super cold by the middle of the night I'm hot and some morning I'm drenched … oh the body I bought one of each of the meals and they were a waste of my money. Each one was tasteless, yuck. I told my son I'll have to prepare those meals on my own, I don't do bland well at all. Now I do like Lean Cuisine, Smart Ones and Healthy Choice so it's just Atkins not flavorful at all and quite pricy Pamela say what you will we all one happy thread family Pamela did you get to try the signature links out?

Gary, I eat a banana some mornings when the kids don't eat them … but I only buy the ones that are more green. I can't eat them ripe and I don't like them sweet (the smell makes me nauseous when they are ripe so the kids know I will toss them if they don't eat them, bitter works for me. The kids will eat them either way, though they prefer them ripe 168, I'm so jealous Look at you go

Hi Calypso and to the thread, hope you'll stick around with us. Great bunch here

I ate spinach, tilapia, spinach dip with EYV chips and I had the worse gas and bloating this afternoon. My stomach was so puffy by the time I got home it was crazy. I ended up stopping at Walmart for some gas relief medicine and picked up some Dulcolax. I'm not regular from the start and this was just plan uncomfortable so I needed relief. Feeling a little better but don't feel much like eating so my calories will be low today. Getting my water in though … hope I don't float away
Old 01-21-2014, 08:20 PM   #4  
~Rennie

Jacqui I just went back to see my stats from when I started with you

12/08 weight 178.2
12/27 weight 180.4
01/08 weight 173.4
01/27 weight ???.? hope to be 168

Let's join Gary

dt and Joe where are you?
Old 01-21-2014, 08:47 PM   #5  

Rennie, no I didn't know about closing the thread. I just knew the mods would close it at 500 posts if they saw it. Thanks for the info! I have drunk my usual amounts of water and green tea today, so I feel good about that, but I still feel puffy as of right now. My fingers are stiff and my wedding rings are fitting more tightly tonight, so we'll see if I have any luck in taking this water weight back off by tomorrow. I'd blame this unexpected water gain on being pre-TOM, only I never know when TOM is going to begin anymore, lol, so I have no idea if that has anything to do with it! Wow, Rennie, you are looking at a 10-lb loss in less than 2 months! That's fantastic! And I agree, let's do join Gary in the 160's!
Old 01-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/175/120

Height: 5' 0"

Rennie, I tried the Atkins Crustless Chicken Pot Pie (I had to get to Walsmart today), it was ok in taste, I had to add a bit of salt and lots of pepper, but it was a easy quick lunch for me.. and since I had my granddaughter last minute, it saved me.. she's a little spitfire and hard on my brain sometimes, so no cooking today for lunch was a good thing, LOL

By the way, she's 4.. My daughter (Demaree) is 23.. My Middle, Mara is going to be 17 (waaaaaaaa!!!!) and my baby Allison is 13 (another WAAAAAAAAAA!!!).

WOW, I don't think I ever really introduced myself!!!! I have 3 daughters, 4 cats, Snickers, Muffin, Ginger and Pooter and 1 husband, LOL I'm 50..

Oh, and I took a small nap after Mackinzie went home and now I"m fine, I'm not even really tired from not alot of sleep last night... which is GREAT!

Nope, I can't use a signature until 20 days, 20 posts.. so I think I'll wait until I can to get it going..

Ok, enough of my rambling... I didn't get any work done today, gotta check my work emails... tootles for now!

Pamela
Old 01-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #7  
Steph

S/C/G: HW 221/ CW 176/GW 155

Height: 5'6"

I want to join Gary in the 160s too!!!... But got a ways to go still. Did weigh in at 179.0 this morning, so still going in the right direction! WW weigh-in tomorrow night. Not that I'm nervous about it but I even clipped my toenails and shaved my legs this evening!

Weather has been beautiful here lately in Montana! Low 40s which is unseasonably warm. The snow is almost melted! So I got it in my head that it was perfect BBQ weather and grilled Brats and veggies tonight. Was so yummy!!! . Snow coming in again tomorrow so glad I did it tonight. Grilled enough for leftovers too. I love to grill but am a fair-weather griller and don't enjoy it in cold or wet weather.

Who was it who asked about cottage cheese? Pamela? I do love cottage cheese with fruit, most especially pineapple, but since I'm trying to not eat much fruit on non-cheat days, I do also enjoy cottage cheese topped with some diced avocado, pico de gallo and/or salsa or Louisana/pepper Hot Sauce and salt & pepper. Mucho Yummy! But then, I love all things spicy!

Glad I found you all here. Thanks Jacqui for all you do!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #8  
Steph

Lol Pamela! Someone who has almost as many cats as I do! We have 5 cats and 2 dogs, all rescues and my husband has banned me from going to the Humane Society anymore! Hey, at least we don't have bunnies and fish anymore, however I do feed the birds and squirrels.

Last edited by sunlover12; 01-21-2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:42 PM   #9  
Steph

Jacqui, you'll go down again soon. As you've said many times, we all go up and down with water weight, and your swollen fingers are proof of that being the cause. It's the big picture, and that being the case, I think it is helpful for me to weigh myself most days so I can see the daily fluctuations. If I weigh myself only once a week, what if it's on one of my water-fat days and I missed one of my water-skinny days! :0
Old 01-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 244/223/160

Height: 5ft 4in.

Good morning everyone. Thread number 2!!! Fantastic. i'm finding it hard to get my momentum going like `i had before Christmas hols. I refuse to give up. today is day one again of my reboot. I need to make the time to post everyday. the support here is the key to staying on plan. so yet again I'm starting over. My cheat day consisted of 5 days in a row. I will stop beating myself up over it. I'm having a protein shake at the moment. I have to get my kids up for school in a few minutes. My new plan is to drop them to school and then do 15 minutes on my cross trainer before I take my shower and get ready for work. It will be a squeeze but organization is the key. Everyone is doing great. I will post again this evening and tell how my new morning plan with exercise went.
BF. Chocolate protein shake with coffee, spinach, chia seeds, spinach and ice. A pint of water.
Lunch: Beef stew with turnip
snack: 3 baked chicken legs (eat throughout the day.
Dinner: Maybe a ham and egg salad. or another protein shake, or both.
lots of water and green tea.
Have a great day everyone. It feels good to be back on plan. It's definitely a lovely feeling to be planning a healthy eating plan. In work I have to make the effort to stay away from the coffee/cappucino machine and press the hot water button for green tea instead.

Last edited by TwoTots; 01-22-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #11  
~Rennie

Pamela, glad you liked the Atkins meal. I don't add salt to anything but I love my pepper . I didn't see a crustless pot pie, I'll have to look for that one. I am having a hard time finding things that I've tried that I like. None of the Walmarts or Food Lions sell the same things, not even the Kroger stores. It's like if you find something you like that's rare you need to buy all that they have (non-perishable) or you won't get it again. I'm 47 (48 in April) we have a married 20 yr old daughter (bday next month), boys 16, 15, 13 <-- (in March), and a 10 yr old girl. No pets. Good to formally meet you

Steph, nice to add a name to the :sun: SMILE ok car defrosted gotta go see you all later

Gotta really catch up later but TwoTots, Jacqui will give you the pep talk she gave me. I had back to back cheat days and was struggling like crazy and Jacqui (our momma hen) <-- if that's ok to say steps in and rescued me … Jacqui, you're the best

169.8 this morning
Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 AM   #12  
Gary C

HHD Friends, Pamela I ate and drank my way thru the holiday's so i'm doing a No Cheat day January, NO added sugar of any kind, alcohol, grains, dairy, MSG, Final push to loose the last few pounds of the 60 i already lost.

MTD - Down 17lbs
Wednesday 1/01 ~ 184.8
Wednesday 1/8 ~ 177.0 (- 7.8 lbs)
Wednesday 1/15 ~ 172.0 (-5.0 lbs)
Wednesday 1/22 ~ 167.8 (4.2 lbs )
Wednesday 1/29 ~ ??
Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 AM   #13  
Gary C

Steps you can take each day to promote a detoxifying environment in the body. (no blender/ Juicer required)
Eat reasonable amounts. If you’re eating too much, you’re probably accumulating more toxins than your body needs. Eating one cookie instead of six is a detox diet. Slow down and chew your food. We all have “anatomical juicers”– our teeth and our stomachs. Use them.
Build your plate around plant foods. Veggies and fruits play a major role in a healthy body because they contain compounds that can help the body deal with all of the incoming chemicals.
Drink enough fluids, including water and tea. The kidneys are major organs of elimination: Keep them lean.
Allow time between dinner and breakfast. If you finished eating dinner at 7 pm, maybe you could eat breakfast at 7 am. This gives the body a 12-hour break from food for every 24-hour cycle. This might also improve your sleep, which is another critical factor in allowing your body to appropriately recover.
Get outside in the sun and fresh air each day. Not only do we synthesize vitamin D from the sun, but we can breathe fresh air into our lungs and hear the sounds of nature.
Exercise and sweat regularly. Our skin is a major elimination organ. Make it happen.
Limit unnecessary dietary supplements. Supplements don’t automatically equal health. And some might just be another burden for the body. Make sure each supplement in your cabinet serves a purpose.
Eliminate your problematic foods. This relates mostly to Step 1. If you just can’t seem to master the habit of one cookie, and you always end up eating six, maybe it’s time to restructure your relationship with cookies.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 175/175/120

Height: 5' 0"

Gary, Good for you.. you have some good willpower!

Sunlover, yep, I loves me kitties! lol

Rennie, I think it's you who posts about evy chips? What are those?

Am I eating too much? See below from yesterday

My Meals 1/21/14:

B - 3 fried eggs, 1/2 c refried beans, left over zucchinni 1/2 c, 3 slices turkey bacon and coffee with sugar free creamer
L - Atkins Crustless Chicken Pot Pie, handfull of nuts
S - 1 Deviled egg, nuts
D - 1 Grilled Pork Chop, Big Salad with Ranch Dressing
S - Cherry jello with spray whipped topping
Right before bed: 2 tbsp. natural peanut butter
Water / Tea - approx 32 oz

Pamela
Old 01-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #15  

Good morning Everyone! I am down to 170 this morning so I shed one of those water weight lbs!

Week 27:
1/18: 168 Cheat Day
1/19: 170.5
1/20: 170
1/21: 171
1/22: 170
1/23:
1/24:

Today's Meals:
Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs, a teapot of green tea, Mio water
Lunch: tunafish salad on celery stalks, canned seasoned black beans, Mio water
Snack: a handful of walnuts, Diet Dr. Pepper
Dinner: Went out to eat at a buffet, so much food to choose from! I kept my portions small (especially on the Oriental food, just a couple of bites of each), but I still ate way more than I'm used to! I was stuffed! I had salmon, Oriental black pepper chicken, Oriental chicken in orange sauce, Oriental beef and peppers, green beans, brussel sprouts, cottage cheese, water with lemon

Today's Exercise:
Morning: Leslie Sansone 2-mile indoor walking video

Steph, CONGRATS on being 179!!! You are officially on your way to the 160's! And you are so right about water weight fluctuations! Weight goes up and down because of it, it's perfectly natural, and no matter what we do, no matter how much we exercise or how well we stay on plan, our weight is not going to go down and down and down with no stalls or water gains. Weight loss doesn't work like that, so there's no use getting upset. The big picture IS all that matters, and sometimes the journey involves a waiting game. I'm like you though. I like to weigh everyday. It's just easier for me to watch the fluctuations than not to know what's going on. I started this month at 172. Today I weigh 170. If I were weighing only once a week, I may not have realized that I've gotten as low as 167.5 this month. I might think I've only lost 2 lbs all month. Knowing I've gotten to 167.5 is important to me because, although everyone may not view it this way, I feel like that's my real weight. The rest of this is excess water weight. I haven't eaten enough for it to be anything but water weight, and once the water drops back off, and it will, I'll be back at my real weight. Knowing that keeps me from becoming frustrated and makes it easier to wait it out!

Pamela, I think your meals look good, except I might go with two eggs instead of 3 for breakfast, but then I don't think an extra egg is going to make or break you. I guess the only way to know for sure if you are eating the right amount is to see what the scales say when you weigh in! I'm glad to see you found an Atkins meal that you like. The good thing about Atkins is that those meals are going to be low-carb.

Rennie, CONGRATS on being in the 160's!!! Great job! I'm so proud of you! And you can certainly call me Momma Hen because that's definitely what I am, lol!

TwoTots, you are the reason we have a support thread! I might have just kept talking to myself if it weren't for you, lol! So c'mon now girlie, get in the groove! Start posting with us! You're so right that posting helps keep you and all of us accountable! That's why I've started posting my exercise, because I haven't been good about keeping up with it lately. I look forward to hearing how your workout went! Your meal plan looks great, by the way!

Gary, I love the tidbits of information you post! Thank you!

It's so good to see so many animal lovers on here! I have 3 spoiled cats and 3 sweet huge big dogs, lol! I am actually a cat person. Someday I'll be a crazy cat lady I have no doubt, lol! But I love my dogs too. They are so good and so loyal. They're mastiffs and as big as they are, they really are gentle giants. One is an English Mastiff and the other two are mixed English/German mastiffs, a brother and sister who were rescues. As for my cats, I have a black tuxedo cat, a white cat with black spots, and an all-black cat. My black cat is a sweet boy who showed up in October two years ago as an older kitten. The closer it got to Halloween, the more nervous I became for his safety, so I brought him in, and hey, once a cat is in, it's mine. It's very Hotel California around here, lol!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-23-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Closed Thread