Old 01-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

Default Am I Wasting My Time?

Hi Everyone-

I wanted to get your realistic, honest opinion on something. I have been on this forum for years and I truly believe the support here was the most instrumental thing in my losing weight. So often we view the scale going down as the only part of losing weight. In this forum, I have often received relationship advice, motivation, and overall daily life empowerment. Of course, I received weight loss and health motivation too- but what I'm trying to say is that having support from everyone here for other aspects of my life truly allowed me to feel stronger in every aspect which allowed me to face the weight loss journey.

I posted my photos in the Goal Photo Album as "From One Red Dress To Another."

In the past years, I have remained in the top few of that thread. I don't know that because I am conceited, I know that because I go back and read people's amazing comments on my bad days and try to remind myself to keep being an inspiration to others- but most importantly to myself. I have so many comments on those photos, in my inbox, and now my photos are on Pinterest and other social media somehow (not from me).

I would like to give the support back that everyone else gave me but I am in medical school now and simply don't have the time to individually respond to each person. My question to you is if its stupid to have a blog to streamline my tips and inspiration?

I feel everyone and their mother has one lately and also so many seem like schemes to sell things and I don't want anyone to think that's what I'm doing. I opened a blog and Facebook page but it seems nobody is interested. Am I just another fish in the sea wasting her time or should I put effort into this? With medical school, I have very limited free time and I would love to do this if it would be impactful but I just don't know. Honest thoughts please and sorry it was so long!
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #2  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh baby girl. I've been on here as long as you, and I've seen your before and afters. No one-- and I mean no one is going to hesitate to take tips, hints, support, motivation or encouragement from someone who has done what you have done and maintained what you have maintained.

And as a side-note, I showed my hubby your before-afters a couple of years ago, and pretty sure you earned a "day-um." (From both him AND me.)

As for the friends and relatives selling stuff... dude. I'm living that. My cousin is selling some sort of weight loss system right now and Facebook is coated in it. *blegh*

But THAT, vs. what you're offering... support, inspiration, advice, etc.... that can't be confused with someone pimping products.

So all that's left for me to say is... Link to your blog please. (And it's in your sig, so NEVAHMIND. You got a follower. )

Last edited by Jelbb; 01-26-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 AM   #3  

I just joined but I know *I* would be incredibly interested!!

Checked out your blog and liked you on FB! Good luck on getting this off the ground...sounds like you have a lot to offer!

Last edited by RideRunRepeat; 01-27-2014 at 06:45 AM.
RideRunRepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/128/124

Height: 5'8"

Jelbb- Hi!! How are you? I remember some of the most sound advice a couple years ago came from you. Thank you, once again, for being so supportive! I hope you are well.

RideRunRepeat-Thank you so much! Its bare bones right now but I'm hoping to start daily tidbits of advice that worked for me.
blackbeltchica19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I would absolutely be interested! Your photos and story have been an inspiration from the moment I saw them years ago. Congratulations on your continued success!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 230/226.4/150

Height: 5'3.75"

I have book-marked your blog for future reading! You really are an inspiration!
Davikatl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:42 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 337.6/see ticker/190

Height: 5' 7"

Ditto to all the above. You look amazing and I think people need all the support, motivation, and tips they can get. At least I do.
Mara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/210/155

I just checked out your photos (I'm pretty new to the forums) and I'd definitely take advice from you! I love reading blogs so I think that is a great way to reach more people if you are busy.
amerrylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 310/*look*/140

Height: 5'9

Do it, do it, do it! I know med school is prly crazy, but what if you just set aside like 20 min a day, or 1 hr over the weekend to blog? I really believe you've got something unique to contribute. I've been so inspired by you and other maintainers and advise/tips/motivation from someone who has been in your position is so much more meaningful than from some random person whose never battled their weight trying to sell you something!
Lecomtes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Do it! I'd absolutely be interested.
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:11 AM   #11  
I've left 3FC! Check sig

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'5"

I'm going to raise my hand and say I've wandered into your goal thread probably about 5 times to gaze at your before and after pictures. What a true inspiration you are, and coming from a fellow user of the same message board I post on! I think it's amazing you've tapped into something that you are passionate about and want to spread a good message.

If I'm honest though? I'm not sure how popular it will get if you don't want to really work hard at advertising. I don't mean paying to be advertised, but blogging can be just as much about spreading the word than writing a solid piece of work. Do you also have the time to research weight loss theories and trends? There's only so much "hey, you're doing great!" posts you can make before it just gets samey if you know what I'm saying. If it's something you can commit to, then no you won't be wasting your time! People will listen to you, look how amazing you did. But if you are going to put the idea on the back burner and hope it'll get popular on its own? Probably not going to happen.
Riestrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 237/see ticker/145

Height: 5'11"

I just joined, but I would read your blog!! You should go for it! If your album is so popular, then it's not like you don't have a reason to have a blog! Many people would probably be thankful if you started one!
EnglishMcTeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:47 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/238/135

Height: 5'3"

First, it's nice to see you still post here! I've been (mainly lurking) on this board for a while. I haven't lost any weight. I've actually gained, but every time I think about trying to make an effort to lose weight, I look at your B&A photos.

I think if you want to blog, do it. I'd love to hear your tips, what sort of foods you eat, and how you stayed on track, since if I remember correctly from your photo thread, you yo-yoed a few times before ultimately getting to where you are now?

Building a blog audience is hard and if med school eats up most of your time (congrats on being in med school, btw) then you probably won't have the same massive following as someone who blogs as their full-time job. However, I think you will have much better success in terms of outreach if you blog on Tumblr instead of Wordpress. You'll more likely get picked up by the fitness crowd if you hashtag your entries correctly and your B&A photos would probably get a lot of notes. Just make sure you have the photo link back to your blog or stamp your picture.
Dani0112 is offline   Reply With Quote