Old 01-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

Default Aren't you on a diet rant

I am so sick of hearing that from everyone when I eat food that's not healthy.From friends and co workers.i wanna to tell them to stfu and stay out my diet choces.i don't need to explain my food choices to you.does anyone have any good comebacks?
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

"Any part of healthy eating includes variation and moderation" ??

I get this all the time. Mostly because I'm eating low carb paleo, which means a lot of people look at my chicken breast wrapped in cheese with broccoli on top and say things like "that's too much meat" or " wow don't you count calories?" (I do).

As frustrating as it is, handle it with grace. Let your results speak for themselves. Most of us have been so misinformed on nutrition that we have no idea. Just keep doing what you need to do for your body.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/ticker/146

Height: 5'7''

Whenever I get this, I just tell them I'm calorie counting and that it doesn't matter what I eat so long as I stay under calorie. For some people, I start going into REALLY detailed specifics (I'm a biology major, so I start talking about metabolism haha..I can actually see their eyes glaze over as I talk to them) and they tend to leave me alone after that.

That, or I "Yep, I've lost ____ lbs so I must be doing /something/ right" *eats for emphasis"
Melonlefey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6"

I find the best strategy is to give as few details as possible. The more I explainmy diet to people the more they seemto think its okay to comment/question my eating habits.

Usually. Ill just.say that I'm happy with my choice of meal for the day and I'm enjoying it. If its a persistent problem, I put up boundaries "I appreciate that you care enough about me to pay attention to my diet, but I've got it under control thanks."

I respond the same way when people comment on my exercising habits. Bottom line. Its none of their business. I'm willing to be polite the first time they feel the need to com.ent, but don't hesitate from making clear boundaries. I find the less they know, the better. I dont need to explain myself.
grinchygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #5  

I just remind myself that it the coworkers' issues and not mine - when I am around coworkers who aren't invasive and annoying, they leave me alone about food choices. People that get too nosy tend to be nosy about everything else. Maybe there are lines that will work like "Ok, I see what you mean, but I'm happy doing what I'm doing" but unfortunately, for the super inyourbusiness types, few things will shut people up.
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 12:57 PM   #6  
Vegetarian, Low carb

S/C/G: 180/168.1/120

Height: 5'2"

nvm

Last edited by shr1nk1ngme; 01-25-2014 at 12:59 PM.
shr1nk1ngme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #7  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Ugh. Been there.

We're doing a "Biggest Loser" at my work and I had someone say to me last week, "Oooh, you're drinking a Diet Coke, that's BADDDD."

Suffice to say, it awoke my inner beast-- 1) that she felt she had the right to judge what I was eating, and 2) that she was ascribing "bad" or "good" tags to food, something that I'm trying to move away from.

But instead of the expletive I felt like saying, I just stared at her, shrugged and said, "It's not like I'm never going to drink a Diet Coke again just because I'm focusing on weight loss. 'Sides, I lost 7 lbs last week and I had a Diet coke every day at lunch."

"But it has a lot of sugar."

"...Diet Coke has no sugar."

"...Are you sure?"

"Yes. It has aspartame. So I may get cancer, but I'm unlikely to get fatter."

"Oh."

At the end of the day, people who appoint themselves the Diet Experts are usually reacting to their own decisions to deprive themselves of specific foods. If Jenny FoodPolice won't let herself have a muffin, she's much more likely to call you out for having one in a judgmental, "Aren't you on a diet?" sort of way. You just have to remember that that's HER cross to bear and it really has nothing to do with you.

I find the best approach is to either shut down the conversation immediately--- or commit to explaining that depriving oneself temporarily of specific foods only leads to cravings for those foods, and thus moderation in small portions is a more appropriate long-term strategy.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3"

I get more of the "well if you want to lose weight why don't you go to the gym?" Well I work Monday to Friday 5am to 7pm.. I'm on my feet that entire time minus a 30 minute lunch, my 10 minute commute from job 1 to job 2... and a 15 minute break. By the time I'm off work I just want to go home.. clean a bit.. and sleep.

Oh and the 1, maybe 2 beers I have on the weekend.. I always get the "beer isn't diet food." Well my guinness is only 125 calories and I budget my calories accordingly. I even may splurge on the occasional *gasp* margarita with my 8 oz steak, broccoli, and carrots. It's my choice, you know?
Kelli21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 212/156/145

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelllate View Post
People that get too nosy tend to be nosy about everything else
Great point. If I've asked you to comment (as we do here all the time!), that's one thing. And some people are just sharers. Which I don't get. I don't want to know about your life. And I REALLY don't want to know what you know about OTHER people's lives. I may not know them and you may not think it is gossip, but I still believe it's a violation.

Then again, the stuff people put on FB and are then amazed that you KNOW things about them, yeah, don't get that either.
Mad Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #10  
Makin' it happen

S/C/G: 296/198/150

Height: 5'4

I just grin and say "Gotta live a little!" even if it's something that's not really bad. Let them think what they will.
onagain1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I don't know. I figure if you tell people you are on a diet, you are going to have to deal with their perceptions.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 212.6/Ticker/137

Height: 5'5"

Ha, this is a great thread. I'd likely just say "yup! sure am", smile and keep eating.

Not that I like to call what I do a "diet", but I like debating with people about who's diet works better. I know what I'm doing works for me and is healthy. If someone asks genuinely looking for support/info for themselves. Sure, I'll tell ya!! But I avoid competitive dieting like the plague.
dehtripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 AM   #13  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelbb View Post

"Yes. It has aspartame. So I may get cancer, but I'm unlikely to get fatter."
I'm sorry but this made me lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattience View Post
I don't know. I figure if you tell people you are on a diet, you are going to have to deal with their perceptions.
True. Generally though, that information will eventually have to come out to some people, especially if you're on a plan that restricts food (mine does, dramatically. And, personally, I perceive a lot about people. However, I was taught not to voice those perceptions unless I was invited to.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote