South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 01-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/266/175

Height: 5'10

Default If sugar, bread, and candy are ADDICTIVE - why eat them EVER?

Hello all,

I am brand new to this (site and the diet). I have been battling sugar for years and just became aware of it after reading this book.

My typical day prior to 5 days ago was as follows:

Skip breakfast and drink pop, energy drinks, AND coffee until 11am. Workout - then go to qudoba or the like and eat a huge lunch with about 3 diet cokes. Then go home, have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich around 3pm with a glass of milk and maybe some vanilla waffers. Then have a huge dinner, then desert, then wake up EVERY NIGHT around 2am with the most intesne craving for carbs / sweets imaginable... wake up - resolute to "eat better" and repeat cycle..

I read the SBD and thought I'd give it a shot. The results (so far) have been really good. I quite drinking pop and energy drinks (still having a few cups of coffee throughout the day). I've followed phase 1 I think pretty well. The cravings that I had just a few days ago are gone (knock on wood). I don't feel so bloated after eating and I no longer feel a slave to food.

Here's my question...

Why would I ever get off of phase 1? The example I'd give is if someone is an alcoholic or drug addict we don't have them sober up for 2 weeks then "drink moderately". The reason is - they have proven over years and years that they can't drink moderately.

So, if I've proven that I can't eat sugar / carbs moderately why would I ever re-introduce them into my system. Is it a nutritional thing? Is it that after two weeks your body "resets" and is able to process the carbs without triggereing the cravings?

I would love to hear everyone's input. I'm just so grateful for the last 5 days and am scared to death about going back to my old ways.

Thanks everyone!

JDP

Last edited by jdpgolfer; 01-25-2014 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to see if I was allowed to post yet
jdpgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/145/145

Height: 5' 9 3/4

JPD your analogy does make sense. I was extremely scared of Phase 2 and beyond. Yet when P2 started I was craving an apple more than anything!!!! Not cake, candy or French fries, but something healthy that I should eat. I think I speak for most of us on maintenance, it is easy to fall back into bad habits, but this way of life makes slip ups just temporary. I never knew how bad I felt until I began feeling great. I still enjoy a decadent dessert or a not so good for me high carb meal from time to time. Now eating like that is a rarity not my norm.

SB reintroduction to healthy carbs with a low glycemic index helps keep blood sugar stabilized. This helps eliminate cravings. Also, P1 is not sustainable for life for many reasons. I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life without fresh fruit.

Great job on P1!!!! Welcome to the beach!!!!
jekel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Welcome!
penmage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:49 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:30 AM   #5  

S/C/G: maintaining

I have several thoughts on this, both as an experienced yo-yo dieter and now as a maintainer.

In the past I reached goal more than once on SBD and got lax on PH3 and started on a slippery slope, eating things I used to eat, gaining weight.

What I learned for myself over the years is:

Over time I do have more control over many foods and can actually handle some degree of moderation. What seems to work for me now, most of the time, is to continue PH2 at home and allow myself to go off plan for special events and eating out, which fortunately don't happen too often. I do feel often feel a bit like an addict at those times and rather overeat. Not always, but often. As long as I don't cheat or stay off plan before or after, I do okay long term.

I have also learned that, like an addict, there are some foods that I just cannot have in the house. Even some "healthy" and OP foods. Like crackers. Cereal. Interestingly enough, I know that with the overeaters anonymous program, which would be, of course, modeled after AA, you do totally abstain forever from certain foods that you have determined are your triggers.

But I also know found that for myself I can sometimes reintroduce a past problem food at a later date, after having gotten it out of my system and life for a while, and be fine with it in moderation. Peanut butter is an example for me. And bread was, until this past week. (That's another long post.)

After many years I have come to the realization that I do not have a normal relationship with food and probably never will. But I have been able to find a balance and a way to eat where I can, for the most part, both maintain my weight and feel good (physically and mentally).

Bottom-line - you will have to figure out what works for you. It may take time and there may be trial and error. Or it may be easy. You may find you do best to just not eat certain things. You may find that time on plan allows you to eventually eat things in moderation (which is what PH3 is intended to be). My advice is to go slowly. Be patient. Don't be scared - but a little caution is a good thing.
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 272/266/175

Height: 5'10

Thanks everyone for you feeback and support. I think with me it's just fear. I was so miserable and have had 5.5 days of freedom from how I was living / eating. I guess I shouldn't get to far ahead of myself, take in a day at a time, and see where I'm at at the end of two weeks. I did read last night for those of us with 100 pounds to lose that we can stay on P1 for up to 2 months. But it's just not reccomended longer than that due to extreem boerdom (lol). I get that completely. I guess before I start worrying about how I'm going to lose my 80th pound - maybe I should focus on how to lose my 10th!

Have a great day everyone. I plan on being here quite a bit!

Last edited by jdpgolfer; 01-26-2014 at 05:11 PM.
jdpgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote