Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Default Ketosis

I thought this might help in understanding Ketosis.

How does it work?
Ideal Protein works by putting you in a “fat burning state”. This is more technically known as ketosis. Ketosis is a stage of metabolism where your body has depleted the reserves of its main form of energy – glycogen. Once those reserves are gone, your liver will being breaking down stored fat in the body for use as energy. Breaking down the fat yields fatty acids and three types of ketone bodies (hence, the name ketosis). The ketones are then burned by the cells in your body as an alternative fuel.

Getting Into Ketosis
Arguably, the worst part of being on the program is getting into ketosis. Our bodies have done what they’ve always done for millions of years – they’ve adapted to life as they know it. Our lives have led to us being overweight by indulging in bad foods in bad quantities. Our bodies are now used to that type of existence. Introducing a new nutritional paradigm (ketosis) to our bodies will necessitate it’s adapting to the new condition. This adaptation is stressful for the body and we will feel the effects.

First, your body will notice a dramatic drop in caloric intake at first. We’ve gotten our bodies used to abundant calories and carbohydrates for long periods of time or to an up and down pattern of calories/carbs which our bodies see as “feast or famine”. Either way, when we take the calories/carbs away, our bodies will react:

Hunger – you’re going to feel hunger because your body is used to having more than it has now. Not a typical for dieting in general.

Fatigue – you’re taking in dramatically less fuel (food) than you used to and your body will probably try to compensate by getting you to slow down your expenditure of energy. It does this by decreasing your metabolic rate. This can make you feel tired, even dizzy. It’s a type of warning that your body’s giving you saying “if you don’t get some food, I’m going to start burning fat!”
Headache – some report headaches associated with “carbohydrate withdrawl”. Whether it’s truly withdrawl or not, I don’t know. However, it certainly seems that way to those who suffer its effects. The typical headache relief methods (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin) are allowable while on IP, however your stomach may seem more sensitive to them because it’s no longer loaded with food. Try to use such products soon after having a meal and drink plenty of water.

Irritability – when your hungry, tired and/or have a headache…you can be understandably irritable. Try to keep in mind that you may be more inclined to react negatively to things during this short time and don’t go off on those who don’t deserve it. The good news is that this transition generally lasts only 3-5 days. Once you’re in ketosis, you’ll feel a difference in your energy level. It will go up significantly as your body begins to enjoy having an alternative fuel source – ketones!

Being in Ketosis

As the ketones pervade your bloodstream to supply the cells with energy, your state of ketosis begins to manifest some side effects. Some of those side effects are disquieting, but they’re not bad for you. Ketones will show up in your urine, which are sometimes able to be detected with Ketostix, but the state of ketosis that IP evokes is so mild that often such tests won’t show a positive result on the Ketosix.One of the three types of ketones is permeable to the lungs and can pass from the blood through the lung walls and becomes incorporated into your exhalations, the same way that carbon dioxide passes out of the body. This can cause “ketosis breath” and a slight metallic taste in the mouth. This is unpleasant, but can be easily overcome with frequent brushing of teeth (a few times a day) and sugarless gum/mints.

Menses can also be affected while in ketosis. Your cycle may be disrupted or cease all together. While this is an odd occurrence for a woman, it is not completely unexpected while in this state.

You may occasionally feel hunger while in ketosis, but it should be more mild than normal. Since you’re eating every few hours, you shouldn’t feel that gnawing sensation associated with hunger prior to being in ketosis. As your body adapts to the new circumstances, it may even develop an internal clock that will make you mildly hungry right around meal time. For some, there is no hunger at all and people need to remember or even be reminded that they need to eat! Another side effect for some is an increased sensitivity to cold. Hands and feet can be particularly effected. I am normally very hot blooded, yet my hands and feet became ice cold when in ketosis. Hot drinks (tea, coffee, IP cocoa/chai tea/mocha/cappuccino), sweaters, heat packs, etc can all help with this.

Breaking Ketosis

Staying in ketosis revolves around keeping your body from getting excess carbohydrates. If your body comes to the conclusion that there are enough

carbohydrates available to use as its main fuel source, it will end the ketosis state and resume using carbohydrates. This crash out of ketosis has some side effects as well:
Hunger – your body will assume that since you’re getting enough carbs to end ketosis, there must be ample food available. Coming out of ketosis and having food available is exactly the type of situation that the body has adapted for over the millennia - “Feast or Famine”. Now, it sees it as a time to feast so that you can replenish the glycogen that you depleated while getting into ketosis. That replenishment requires more fuel – more food! Therefore, your body tells you to eat, eat and eat. You’ll be almost insatiably hungry.

Immediate and dramatic weight gain – As your body restores its glycogen, you’regaining weight…quickly. Several pounds in a period of a couple days is not uncommon.

Resuming Ketosis

If you fall out of ketosis for some reason, the best thing to do is to start working to get right back in it. Follow the program as if you didn’t do anything to fall out. If you “cheated” and had a candy bar or a hoagie or whatever, resume the program as if you hadn’t had it at all. Keep on your meal schedule. Don’t abandon the day, weekend or week by just giving up on it because you’ve “screwed it up”. Just get right back into the program immediately. Doing this helps to significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to get back into ketosis. The longer you stay out of ketosis, the longer it takes to get back into it. So, hop right back on the wagon!

Last edited by rissimo; 04-13-2012 at 07:59 AM.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 279.8/see ticker/155

Height: 5'6''

Great information - thank you!
LSJ100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/184/145

Height: 5'4"

Thanks! That was great information.
lmlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:31 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/215/150

Height: 5'6"

Very well explained! Better than my coach.
lowrider04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #5  
started IP 3/30/12

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks for this! It is one of the reasons to remain 100% OP
sanaroph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #6  
Started IP 10/13/11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rissimo View Post
I thought this might help in understanding Ketosis.

How does it work?
Ideal Protein works by putting you in a “fat burning state”. This is more technically known as ketosis. Ketosis is a stage of metabolism where your body has depleted the reserves of its main form of energy – glycogen. Once those reserves are gone, your liver will being breaking down stored fat in the body for use as energy. Breaking down the fat yields fatty acids and three types of ketone bodies (hence, the name ketosis). The ketones are then burned by the cells in your body as an alternative fuel.

Getting Into KetosisArguably, the worst part of being on the program is getting into ketosis. Our bodies have done what they’ve always done for millions of years – they’ve adapted to life as they know it. Our lives have led to us being overweight by indulging in bad foods in bad quantities. Our bodies are now used to that type of existence. Introducing a new nutritional paradigm (ketosis) to our bodies will necessitate it’s adapting to the new condition. This adaptation is stressful for the body and we will feel the effects.

First, your body will notice a dramatic drop in caloric intake at first. We’ve gotten our bodies used to abundant calories and carbohydrates for long periods of time or to an up and down pattern of calories/carbs which our bodies see as “feast or famine”. Either way, when we take the calories/carbs away, our bodies will react:

Hunger – you’re going to feel hunger because your body is used to having more

than it has now. Not atypical for dieting in general.

Fatigue – you’re taking in dramatically less fuel (food) than you used to and your body will probably try to compensate by getting you to slow down your expenditure of energy. It does this by decreasing your metabolic rate. This can make you feel tired, even dizzy. It’s a type of warning that your body’s giving you saying “if you don’t get some food, I’m going to start burning fat!”

Headache – some report headaches associated with “carbohydrate withdrawl”. Whether it’s truly withdrawl or not, I don’t know. However, it certainly seems that way to those who suffer its effects. The typical headache relief methods (ibuprofen, acetaminophen, aspirin) are allowable while on IP, however your stomach may seem more sensitive to them because it’s no longer loaded with food. Try to use such products soon after having a meal and drink plenty of water.

Irritability – when your hungry, tired and/or have a headache…you can be understandably irritable. Try to keep in mind that you may be more inclined to react negatively to things during this short time and don’t go off on those who don’t deserve it. The good news is that this transition generally lasts only 3-5 days. Once you’re in ketosis, you’ll feel a difference in your energy level. It will go up significantly as your body begins to enjoy having an alternative fuel source – ketones!

Being in Ketosis
As the ketones pervade your bloodstream to supply the cells with energy, your state of ketosis begins to manifest some side effects. Some of those side effects are disquieting, but they’re not bad for you. Ketones will show up in your urine, which are sometimes able to be detected with Ketostix, but the state of ketosis that IP evokes is so mild that often such tests won’t show a positive result on the Ketosix.One of the three types of ketones is permeable to the lungs and can pass from the blood through the lung walls and becomes incorporated into your exhalations, the same way that carbon dioxide passes out of the body. This can cause “ketosis breath” and a slight metallic taste in the mouth. This is unpleasant, but can be easily overcome with frequent brushing of teeth (a few times a day) and sugarless gum/mints.

Menses can also be affected while in ketosis. Your cycle may be disrupted or cease all together. While this is an odd occurrence for a woman, it is not completely unexpected while in this state.

You may occasionally feel hunger while in ketosis, but it should be more mild than normal. Since you’re eating every few hours, you shouldn’t feel that gnawing sensation associated with hunger prior to being in ketosis. As your body adapts to the new circumstances, it may even develop an internal clock that will make you mildly hungry right around meal time. For some, there is no hunger at all and people need to remember or even be reminded that they need to eat! Another side effect for some is an increased sensitivity to cold. Hands and feet can be particularly effected. I am normally very hot blooded, yet my hands and feet became ice cold when in ketosis. Hot drinks (tea, coffee, IP cocoa/chai tea/mocha/cappuccino), sweaters, heat packs, etc can all help with this.

Breaking Ketosis
Staying in ketosis revolves around keeping your body from getting excess carbohydrates. If your body comes to the conclusion that there are enough
carbohydrates available to use as its main fuel source, it will end the ketosis state and resume using carbohydrates. This crash out of ketosis has some side effects as well:

Hunger – your body will assume that since you’re getting enough carbs to end ketosis, there must be ample food available. Coming out of ketosis and having food available is exactly the type of situation that the body has adapted for over the millennia - “Feast or Famine”. Now, it sees it as a time to feast so that you can replenish the glycogen that you depleated while getting into ketosis. That replenishment requires more fuel – more food! Therefore, your body tells you to eat, eat and eat. You’ll be almost insatiably hungry.

Immediate and dramatic weight gain – As your body restores its glycogen, you’regaining weight…quickly. Several pounds in a period of a couple days is not uncommon.

Resuming Ketosis
If you fall out of ketosis for some reason, the best thing to do is to start working to get right back in it. Follow the program as if you didn’t do anything to fall out. If you “cheated” and had a candy bar or a hoagie or whatever, resume the program as if you hadn’t had it at all. Keep on your meal schedule. Don’t abandon the day, weekend or week by just giving up on it because you’ve “screwed it up”. Just get right back into the program immediately.

Doing this helps to significantly reduce the amount of time it takes to get back into ketosis. The longer you stay out of ketosis, the longer it takes to get back into it. So, hop right back on the wagon!

Well done !! Ketosis is the key to this program for sure

also.... how do I put multiple pics in my sig... can't figure it out
Thanks
idealpromom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/147/125

Height: 4'11"

rissimo - Thank you so much for the information... helps alot ~
lilone1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 192/168/140

Height: 5'6"

Awesome info! Thanks so much!
lindse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:34 AM   #9  
IP start 3/18/12

S/C/G: 224.9/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

This is awesome! it answered a lot of my questions
angie773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 187.4/ticker/145

Height: 5'10"

Great information. I am one of those that was in ketosis and fell off the wagon and took a long time to get back on. While doing all of that I continued with my routine exercise. I know when I first started IP I was told not to exercise the first 3 weeks. Meanings I have been doing it for several months know can I continue or will this make it harder to get into ketosis? Hope to get some help of this, thanks.

Last edited by natalie70; 04-13-2012 at 12:08 PM.
natalie70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 225/225/140

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie70 View Post
Great information. I am one of those that was in ketosis and fell off the wagon and took a long time to get back on. While doing all of that I continued with my routine exercise. I know when I first started IP I was told not to exercise the first 3 weeks. Meanings I have been doing it for several months know can I continue or will this make it harder to get into ketosis? Hope to get some help of this, thanks.

I would continue as you are, you should be in ketosis.
rissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 226/226/175

Height: 6'0

Good stuff! Thanks for posting!!!
Mom2Four2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 328/280/245

Height: 6'4

Thank you for the info its great!!
repomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #14