Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 19 - January 26

Tempus fugit and all that. Today's a holiday in the U.S. to celebrate the birthday of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. So, I was out late last night and am dawdling about this morning.

I'm now the only person in the snow belt who now wants some snow - to exercise my new snow thrower. I'm stuck with this fear that it'll never snow again since I've finally bought the monster to fight back with.

But I don't have to eat because of lack of snow, LOL. Nor eat because the New England Patriots aren't going to the Super Bowl (American football).
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 169/135/140

Height: 5ft 5.5 in

Good morning all you bright shining faces.Time to drink my whey protein breakfast,pack my boiled egg and cucumber for lunch and clean off the car because it snowed again last night and head off to work.Will check in again tonight when I get back.
apo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Good Morning all!

Bill C'mon up here with that snow thrower - I've got lots of snow to use it on.

Good day all - have to clean off the front walk and car and be off.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Good morning! We had more snow this weekend too though not as much as last time. It's supposed to get down to subzero temps this week AGAIN but at least this time those are the lows, not the highs. Babies slept well last night so all is right with the world.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #5  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

JayEll mentioned the Minnesota starvation experiment recently. This is a good article about it. It also mentions other experiments which US and UK Second World War conscientious objectors were involved in, and starvation in the **** concentration camps.

ETA - I see the moderating robot has taken out one of the words I used. It begins with N, third letter Z. There are two vowels, A and I.

Last edited by silverbirch; 01-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:25 AM   #6  
Workin' It

I can't believe it took out that word, Birchie.

Yes, MLK Day here in the US, which isn't a holiday at my company. DH is off today and home with the pest control guy who I scheduled for today forgetting it was a holiday.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Welcome Rita! Glad you've joined us.
I have the day off and will be celebrating with an early dental appointment followed by a dermatologist appt. Debating getting a double workout in as it didn't happen this morning.

I'll come back later to report on my meetup group at the Mexican restaurant plus I spoke at a weight watchers meeting yesterday so I was definitely out of my comfort zone this weekend.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Thanks for the reminder that today is a holiday! I can just imagine myself driving up to the bank to deposit our money for our payroll account and wondering why no one responds to my service call.

I guess that means I won't wait around all day for the mailman, either.

All is not right in my world today. It started when my flat iron refused to warm up. Thankfully I had my travel one, but it's this itsy-bitsy little thing that was perfect when I had super short hair, but now that it's getting long again it didn't work too great. I'll be stopping this afternoon for a new one.

DS is home for the long weekend. He was going to go see a movie with friends on Saturday so I didn't feel bad leaving him to go play golf. Well, we got home and he said the plans fell through so he was home alone (with the animals). I felt bad but he said it was nice just being home.

We went to see American Hustle yesterday. That was pretty funny and very enjoyable.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #9  
maintaining since 9/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
JayEll mentioned the Minnesota starvation experiment recently. This is a good article about it. It also mentions other experiments which US and UK Second World War conscientious objectors were involved in, and starvation in the **** concentration camps.

ETA - I see the moderating robot has taken out one of the words I used. It begins with N, third letter Z. There are two vowels, A and I.
I can't fathom why the 4 letter word with letters nzi be censored. Maybe some folks would rather we all pretend it didn't happen?
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Funny that that word was censored. I imagine it's so that people won't use it to insult each other??
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Good Tuesday morning everyone!

I had yesterday off for the Martin Luther King holiday and we went to "Destiny USA" and had a look at the new outlet stores that are there in Syracuse.

Today I woke up to -31 degrees with a "feels like" -50. I am really trying to keep a positive attitude, but this is the winter that won't die!!

Hope everyone out there is able to stay warm and safe!

Jen
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 AM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Jen - good grief, that's freakin' cold! I hear you about the attitude - I looked ahead at the 5-day forecast and there's just no relief. I sure hope this is just an abnormal winter and not a trend; I'm not sure my psyche is geared for this.

michele, I'm curious about your weekend! I hope you had fun!

bill, you can have the snow. I think Murphy is messing with you.

Got the call yesterday - the bathroom renovation begins Monday. Eek! I'm just going to go with the flow and treat this as a great opportunity to sort through all the stuff hidden in the bathroom vanity, to sift out the clothes I don't wear, don't like, or can't fit into, and to re-home all the "lost" things that are on the top shelf because they don't seem to belong anywhere. And I will not hyperventilate. I might drink, however. I make faster (though perhaps not better) decisions with a glass of wine.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #13  

All you in the midwest and eastern seaboard--stay warm! And think positive thoughts that this weather phenomena will end soon. As a result of the high pressure system here, we're in a serious drought. No snow or rain much at all last year and nothing this year, too. It's not pretty.

RE: sifting through things--I need to do a pantry cleaning! I "know" there are items that are in there and yet I cannot find them. After that, I suppose a good closet cleaning is in order. If only there were time to do both. I think I may have to take a day or two off of work and/or golf to accomplish these things.

And DD has set her wedding date of July 23rd so now I have to do some travel planning (ie, fly or drive, where to stay, etc.). The thing is compounded by the fact that she wants the reception in Sequim, WA the weekend after the wedding, so that means a trip to Napa, a trip to Seattle area and then back. I don't have the confidence to book flights like this without running into huge costs. And I found a wonderful B&B just 7 miles from the winery where the wedding will be but DD apparently wants us all to stay at the same place and she doesn't think her fiance's family can afford the B&B. DH and I are going to count this as our vacation, so I'd really like to stay at a nice place rather than a hotel.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:26 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Jen - good grief, that's freakin' cold! I hear you about the attitude - I looked ahead at the 5-day forecast and there's just no relief. I sure hope this is just an abnormal winter and not a trend; I'm not sure my psyche is geared for this.

michele, I'm curious about your weekend! I hope you had fun!
Yes, Jen-- I can't imagine that cold. I thought it was cold here in the 30s (and it is still warming up to the 60s or 70s this week).

Overall, great weekend! Super busy! Got a ton done but not everything-- I wanted to fit in some breaking bad but ran out of time, along with getting Dewey's toenails clipped and a few other things.

So, Saturday was the meet up group for the book club at the Mexican Restaurant. There were 12 or 13 of us there. Everyone seemed very nice and I had a good time. I chatted with the ladies near me and I don't think I came off as super shy. I abstained from the alcohol and chips and had soup and salad. I bought the book off amazon while at the table (for the next meeting) as I decided that I'd love to give the group a whirl. So now I have to get the book and read it before Feb. 9 and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all. Late night for me following by an early Sunday....

Sunday I went to my "old" weight watchers meeting that I worked at. It's been almost two years since I quit. I was the motivational lifetime speaker. Nervous but it went well. I brought my fat pants which helped to remind me that even though I've gained some, I've come a long way. Lots of old members were there and it was good to see them. I'm glad I don't have to get up early every Sunday morning anymore though. The rest of Sunday was busy with exercise, errands, etc.

Yesterday I had the day off and was uber productive! 8:00 teeth cleaning (all good), 10:00 dermatologist appt (he's prescribing a huge regimen and meds to try to get my stupid acne under control), 12:00 bikram yoga class, 4:30 body pump class. In between, I went to several stores, paid bills, meal prepped, etc.

Now it's back to work for a short week. Dh comes home again on Thursday.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #15  

Quote:
So now I have to get the book and read it before Feb. 9 and it doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all.
What is the book?