Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM   #1  
L.*.V.E.

S/C/G: 336/277/120

Height: 5'6

Default Natural ways to fight depression.

Maca (Lepidium meyenii), also known as "Peruvian ginseng," is a root vegetable that is packed with amino acids, phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals. Like the other herbs mentioned, it has long been used in traditional medicine to increase energy and stamina, enhance libido, and boost the immune, adrenal, and endocrine systems.

In a 2008 study published in the journal Menopause, researchers found that maca helps reduce anxiety and depression symptoms in women with menopause And in a 2006 study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, researchers found that maca clearly exhibits general antidepressant activity in all people when consumed.

If you or someone you know suffers from depression or depression symptoms, you may want to consider checking out these and various other natural herbal remedies that contain powerful antidepressant compounds and nutrients. As always, be sure to consult with your physician before implementing any new treatment regimens.

Maca is used for “tired blood” (anemia); chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS); and enhancing energy, stamina, athletic performance, memory, and fertility. Women use maca for female hormone imbalance, menstrual problems, and symptoms of menopause. Maca is also used for weak bones (osteoporosis), depression, stomach cancer, leukemia, HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis, erectile dysfunction (ED), to arouse sexual desire, and to boost the immune system.

My experience with Maca

I've been using Healthworks Organic Raw Maca Powder for 1 month now and I can really see a difference. I feel more energized, I have better moods, I don't feel tired all day and I seem to have less bad days. It really has helped me so far. I mix it in with my smoothies, and tea, I also make Hot maca Chocolate with tea which is really good. I only use 2 tsp a day and I can honestly say I feel much better since taking it.

I also Meditate everyday for at least 15 minutes with deep breathing.
Breathing Detoxifies and Releases Toxins
Breathing Releases Tension
Breathing Relaxes the Mind/Body and Brings Clarity
Breathing Relieves Emotional Problems
Breathing Relieves Pain
Breathing Massages Your Organs
Breathing Boosts Energy levels and Improves Stamina
Breathing Improves Cellular Regeneration
Breathing Elevates Moods

How to breathe properly
1. Inhale through your nose, expanding your belly, then fill your chest. Counting to 5 2. Hold and Count to 3. Feel all your cells filled with golden, healing, balancing Sun light energy. 3. Exhale fully from slightly parted mouth and Feel all your cells releasing waste and emptying all old energy. Counting to 5
arerefngela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/180/130

Height: 5' 2"

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I do a lot of meditating as well as I find stress causes havoc in all aspects of my life- especially weight loss!!

A word of caution however, people should never start a new medication or herbal remedy without checking with their doctor. Even natural treatments can interact with medications and can be detrimental for those with certain other health issues.
Jaymie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 226 / 173 / 175

Height: 6"1'

Love the Meditation and breathing tips ^^ use them all the time. also while doing this just scan from the tip of your toe to your head and relax as many of your muscles as possible, this makes a big difference.
Shawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:59 PM   #4  
Warrior Princess

Cardio 40 minutes a day. It's the best antidepressant there is.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Started Cal Counting on 1/4/16

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by novangel View Post
Cardio 40 minutes a day. It's the best antidepressant there is.
Absolutely! I was just going to post about the positive effects of exercise on depression.

I quit smoking 10 years ago and became very depressed. I tried antidepressants, but I had horrible side effects from them. Both my family and I suffered terribly from my depression. So about 3 years ago I started eating properly and working out. And lo and behold - the depression went away completely and I started feeling great!

I have since regained my weight back (mostly due to personal issues that I went through the last year). And yes...my depression came back with a vengence. So I forced myself to exercise and started feeling better. Now I just restarted a healthy eating program. I now realize that exercise IS my Prozac and will keep me free of depression.

We are so programmed to take a pill for every issue we have. Obviously some pills are necessary to our health (diabetes meds, high blood pressure meds). If doctors would just recommend exercise for depression, no one would have to go on those horrible drugs and deal with side effects and the horror of coming off them!
JerseyPAGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 105kg/103kg/60kg

Height: 1.60m

Meditation is my stress remedy!
JamieToo is offline   Reply With Quote