Old 01-21-2014, 08:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Question Fasting Blood Glucose Higher with Low Carb Diet?

How can it be I've been under 65 grams of carbs for most days for the past 6 weeks. No grains or milk and 1 serving most days of a low glycemic fruit (usually grapefruit). I've lost almost 15lbs.
Funny thing is my "normal" fasting blood glucose is rising? From upper 90's to 105 -115
I see with a quick Google search that higher FBG can happen with low carb diets. Never heard of such a thing. Anybody else have this happen to them?
If I wasn't testing out of curiosity I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong. I feel great...but I'm sure confused....

Last edited by susiemartin; 01-21-2014 at 08:59 PM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I'm not diabetic but read a book by someone who is who explains tons of the FBG stuff (I glazed over those parts) - Diets 101 by Jenny Ruhl

Good luck figuring this out
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #3  

Funny you should say that. Last summer I was doing homeopathis HCG which is low carb, low fat. My fasting blood glucose was high. Generally it would run around 95 but it was about 140, then 150. My doctor was a little concerned so I did a A1C which was right in the middle, normal. I monitored it all summer and it was normal every time I checked it. I checked it all times of the day and night, before eating, after eating, with low carb food, with sugary food. It was normal everytime.
jjarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

jjarman-
Thanks! Good to know that someone else has had the same thing happen. I'm going to wait a few weeks and then get a A1C. Hopefully it will be within the normal range.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 PM   #5  

If you are eating a lot of protein it can raise your blood sugars. Many people make the mistake of eating too much meat on a low carb diet. You should be getting most of your calories from fat.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #6  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Talk to a nutritionist. Hospitals will usually have reliable ones.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 242/240/150

Height: 5'5

Susie,
I am not a nutritionist but I do read a lot about it. I have also attended 2 diabetic education courses with family members. One thing I remember from those is that if u skip meals your BS will actually rise.nit sounds counter intuitive but your body feels like it is starving so it releases extra sugar. Also the idea with a low carb diet is to get your body to burn fat instead of carbs. It still has to turn the fat to glucose to use it so it may be doing that at night. Then the sugar may balance out during the day, hence the normal A1c. I would talk to your doc about doing the blood work but my suspicion is that since u have lost weight and feel better your doc will have u continue and the A1c will be ok. U can also ask your doc if maybe u should do the keto sticks. If u do a really low carb diet they tell u to do them to ensure u r burning fat not sugar. (Phisiology class when I was in pre nursing classes, the body always burns sugar. It takes in protein and stores as fat but always must convert to sugar to use. Their are 3 processes but I don't remember all the names)
Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
Occheermommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #8  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiemartin View Post
How can it be I've been under 65 grams of carbs for most days for the past 6 weeks. No grains or milk and 1 serving most days of a low glycemic fruit (usually grapefruit). I've lost almost 15lbs.
Funny thing is my "normal" fasting blood glucose is rising? From upper 90's to 105 -115
I see with a quick Google search that higher FBG can happen with low carb diets. Never heard of such a thing. Anybody else have this happen to them?
If I wasn't testing out of curiosity I wouldn't have thought anything was wrong. I feel great...but I'm sure confused....
Susie good to see you, it's been awhile Congratulations on the 15lbs GONE

I am diabetic and have the same issue. The funny thing is when the scale is down the FBS is up. The other ladies on the thread below have talked about this also. Not sure why this happens ... I'm just glad that mine have finally gone down from the high 200's

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diab...arch-chat.html
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 04:49 PM   #9  
~Rennie

S/C/G: HW/220~SW/191.2~GW 141

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If you are eating a lot of protein it can raise your blood sugars. Many people make the mistake of eating too much meat on a low carb diet. You should be getting most of your calories from fat.
Thanks Locke for the info ... I know there are good fats like avocado and nuts but what else. Thanks
love2b150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #10  
diamondgeog

Coconut oil is great. Make sure you buy organic and virgin. Grass fed butter is a true super food. Olive oil is ok especially on salads. Love flaxseed oil on salads.

I've heard macadamia oil is a good cooking oil. Avoid vegetable oils like the plague.

But I use coconut oil all the time: cooking, in coffee, tea, straight from bottle.

We are going to start mixing it with baking soda for toothpaste also. It is phenomenal and filling.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #11  
diamondgeog

I was almost exactly where you were weight wise when I started. If your like me and had a lot of belly fat remember we took awhile to get it. I had it for decades myself. It is going to take a bit for the body to get back to optimal. Including getting fat adapted and getting insulin working well.

But it will. I have best bloodwork and energy and health in my life at 48.