Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #1  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Default List of Restaurants

Are there any restaurants besides Subway that are semi-healthy? Just wondering.
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2  
Food and Wine Lover

S/C/G: Goal Weight: 125

Height: 5'3"

I think a lot of restaurants serve healthy food, are you talking fast food? Because here where I live, there are loads of authentic Italian restaurants (for example) that serve very fresh Mediterranean style cuisine.
Chardonnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #3  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Pita Pit is my fave! I worked at subway for many years and smell makes me gag. I love me some Pita pit, or extreme Pita (canada) There is a new place that is coming to town that sounds interesting... called the Chopped Leaf.
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

Depends where you live. I think Subway is super gross, but being in Austin we have a locally-owned chain called Thundercloud that has similar sandwiches but uses fresh-baked bread and better, healthier ingredients. I like turkey on wheat with avocado spread and lots of veggies - no mayo, mustard, or cheese and I don't miss it because the avocado totally makes it both less dry and more satisfying.

As far as bigger chains, Chick-fil-a can be ok if you have it and don't have any objections to it. Wendy's actually isn't bad if you know what to order (ex: grilled chicken sandwich with no sauce, salad as a side and a lot of times I save my salad as a snack later instead of eating it with my sandwich... I also like their half-size baja salad as long as you leave off the chili and half the tortilla chips.)

I think Panera has some options, but I find it dangerous because pastries. If you have Noodles and Company, they have a few dishes that are under 400 calories in the small size, and then if you add chicken or shrimp they still come in under 500. The bangkok curry in particular is yummy and heavy on the veggies, and only about 430 calories even with a full serving of chicken on it.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Chipotle. You can customize your bowl any way you want.

And really, I think I can eat healthy almost anywhere. You just have to think outside the box sometimes and customize your meal.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I haven't been there recently, but Applebee's has a light menu. Like others have said, it's usually possible to pull something off anywhere, but once you are in that environment, it's hard to stay with the program.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Chipotle. You can customize your bowl any way you want.

And really, I think I can eat healthy almost anywhere. You just have to think outside the box sometimes and customize your meal.
I was thinking of hitting Chipotle today. Started playing around with the nutrition section of their website and I only had a couple basic ingredients added to my potential meal before I was already at 500 calories. So I guess it depends what plan you're on. I'm on a 1500 cal/day diet and I definitely can't eat at Chipotle without seriously adjusting my diet for the rest of the day.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I am not a vegetarian but when I go to Golden Corral I eat mostly vegetarian. I skip all meats except for a small serving of broiled (not breaded) fish. They have a wonderful selection of vegetables to fill you up. I stay away from the dessert bar and substitute some fresh fruits for dessert after the veggies. If you want a little more protein, the rotisserie chicken with the skin removed is a good choice.

Last edited by Larry H; 01-20-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #9  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by underanalysis View Post
I was thinking of hitting Chipotle today. Started playing around with the nutrition section of their website and I only had a couple basic ingredients added to my potential meal before I was already at 500 calories. So I guess it depends what plan you're on. I'm on a 1500 cal/day diet and I definitely can't eat at Chipotle without seriously adjusting my diet for the rest of the day.
My normal meal at Chipotle is around 350, which is a salad. Sometimes I'll get the bowl with brown rice but if I do that, I usually split it between two meals.

Also, in general, I eat 1500 calories per day but breakfast is my lightest meal around 300 calories and lately I've been eating 3 meals, with 0 or 1 snack per day. It depends. So I could easily swing a 550 calorie bowl (which is what my rice bowl comes out to) and not go over my calories. I rather ask for extra beans and tomatoes though and split a rice bowl between 2 meals.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 PM   #10  
Turning Into A New Woman

S/C/G: 302/See Tracker/250

Height: 5'2 & 1/2

Thanks to everyone for answering back
Terra1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:09 PM   #11  
Less of a Better Me

You can eat a healthy meal at lots of places.

Some of my favorites:

1. Panera - just avoid the pastry end

2. Chili's - especially the Grilled Chicken Salad

3. Genghis Grill - everything
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:26 PM   #12  
Just Me

I didn't know Panera sold pastries? Or is that a regional thing? I don't remember ever seeing pastries at Panera.

I used to love Panera and go there regularly but for some reason they don't understand the meaning of 'no cheese'. I liked their black bean soup a lot though.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #13  
diamondgeog

I think Subway is very unhealthy. Their bread has a ton of ingredients including one for preservation that is banned in Europe and in Singapore will send you to jail if you use it.

Their meat is super processed as well. I am sure the veggies are non-organic. I personally stay away from all sub shops now as I don't bread. But in particular Subway.

I love a place called Freebirds. Kind of a regional Chipotle only much better to me. I get their salads. The beef is even grass fed if you go that way.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-21-2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #14  
Less of a Better Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
I didn't know Panera sold pastries? Or is that a regional thing? I don't remember ever seeing pastries at Panera.

I used to love Panera and go there regularly but for some reason they don't understand the meaning of 'no cheese'. I liked their black bean soup a lot though.

Wow. On their web page they show a bakery end which has pastries. I do occasionally buy a cinnamon crunch bagel, but otherwise stay away from it.

Some of the things I really like there (I usually do a Pick 2 when I can):

Turkey Chili
Chicken noodle soup
Black bean soup
Lemon Orzo soup (this seems to come and go)

Chicken BBQ salad
Chicken Thai Salad
Asian Chicken Salad
Shrimp and Soba Noodle Salad

Chicken Power Hummus Bowl

I occasionally get a sandwich - one of the turkey sandwiches that is lower cal or the napa chicken salad sandwich (I usually just eat the chicken salad without the bread). But the bread adds so many calories I usually don't get a sandwich.
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #15  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Just about every restaurants has something semi-healthy that you can order. Many chains are now included lower-calorie options in a marked section of their menu. Applebees, Olive Garden, and Red Lobster definitely have low-calorie menus. Just try to stick with chicken breast or un-breaded fish with no cream-based sauces. Choose veggies (other than potatoes) as your side and you should be fine. Be on the watch for high calorie dressings (such as ranch) if you order salads as well.

As far as fast-food, there are a few low calorie options that are my go-to's.

McDonalds - Southwest Grilled Chicken Salad w/ 1 SW Dressing (390) or Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken McWrap (360)
Taco Bell - Anything from Fresco Menu
Wendy's - Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich (370) or Half Spicy Chicken Caesar w/ 1 Lemon Caesar Dressing & Croutons (440, or 350 w/o Croutons)
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote