Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:53 PM   #1  

Default Toning/weight loss

I weigh 127-129 (in the mornings) and I would like to get down to 120 and "tone"...I have really started being consistent with the gym (4-5) times per week...walking a minimum of 45 minutes on the treadmill for 4.0-4.4 miles per hour and an incline of up to 5. After walking, I always do some ab exercises and sometimes do the "women's room" which is basically set up like Curves. I am overall happy with my body except for my butt and thighs..ugh!!..I get so frustrated because nothing I do seems to really help..I have heard that only 20% of it is exercise and 80% is the way you eat..and I don't really eat that well...are there any suggestions as to what else may help me more that what I am doing currently? I even have a little cellulite that I CAN"T get rid of and I am only 24! Is there a different way I should be walking or should I jog?? any suggestions would be helpful..I hate my lower body!! (sorry this is so long)
Old 01-10-2004, 08:25 AM   #2  
Just one bite at a time

S/C/G: 210/210/146

Height: 5'5"

Ariella just keep on keeping on!

The cardio work you describe is good, the only difference I would suggest is that you don't concentrate on abs work, try a complete resistance routine. One day do your arms and abs and back the next time do lower body abs and back!

If you concentrate on abs then you are missing out on the opportunity to work some big muscle groups and burning lots more kcals. Remember you can't spot reduce so if you are doing abs work to reduce your abs fat covering then it won't work! So you may as well get more variety, more enjoyment and more results!

Also ignore that 20% exercise effect thing. Anyone who trys to sell us on a definite number is winging it. The way we lose weight and improve our body image is absloutely individual. Some bodies respond to exercise more quickly that kcal reduction others barely seem to change for exercise at all. But EVERY body needs both.

You just have to decide how is best for you! If you can't eat clean just yet then concentrate on getting a good exercse programme. You can always experiment with eating later!

As you are a newbie (and to save boring everyone else) I had best explain: I have a Masters degree in Health and Physical Activity and am currently employed as a Healthy Living Worker, trying to provide healthy living options into a community of low socio-economic status. We jokingly call ourselves "Those who lead horses to water" So if you want any really boring advice, stupid stories or pointers to other sources of info come on back and ask.

Don't think it will be just me shouting out, we all here love to share our experiences, so you are absolutely bound to find a voice that suits you!!

Read you later
Old 01-13-2004, 12:26 PM   #3  
Made my Goal weight!

Hi there

I am a HUGE fan of running, gets my body into shape in NO Time, especially after having 2 kids....
I have always had big thighs and SQUATS AND LUNGES really, really, really help in that area...as for the butt, SQUATS are GREAT too, and running will help....
Hope this helps you some!

Leanne
Sw 215 (august 1/2003)
CW 144.4
GW 125-130
Old 01-27-2004, 06:28 PM   #4  

I second leanne, do the runs, and then do those lunges, squats, etc. w/ low weight, you will be fit in no time, well, it isn't that quick, but uicker than dieting, and a heck f a lot better for you. Keep a healthy diet, but don't be too strict, you should do well. Good luck.
Old 01-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #5  

I don't mean to sound personal, but what are your measurements? And your height? And do you have an idea of what your body fat percentage is at the moment? What I'm getting at is this: If your body fat is low, say under 22% (according to Covert Bailey, at least) you may simply have a lot of muscle in your legs and rear. I know I do! It's genetic, even my brothers are shaped like that! But I found that doing squats and lunges just made that area bigger, not slimmer, since I just build more muscle on top of muscle.

What has worked for me is cardio on the bottom half just enough to keep things tighter and reduce cellulite, and resistance work on the top half of my body to build me up and balance out my figure. So now I'm 43-35-43 (still big, I know) but not pear-shaped. And it also helps the bustline stay perky, if you know what I mean. Actually, you probably don't at your age, but trust me, gravity happens, lol!

IMO, it's not about hating any body part, it's about making the best of the genetic cards you were dealt. Good Luck.
Closed Thread