Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/199.2/135

Height: 5'7"

Default Does anyone else feel like...?

I feel like I'm able to eat WAY too much. I'm using the Lose It! app, one of those calorie trackers, and it seems like when I make food, when I end up with the end calorie count (when I add up all the ingredients together) it seems like I'm able to eat waaay more food for the amount of food I can eat.
Tonight, I made 2 oz. of pasta with spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, one chicken breast, and split into four servings, it came out as 228 calories. This does NOT seem like enough. Is it because I'm eating less food?
I feel totally insecure about being able to eat a half bowl of pasta for that many calories, like maybe I'm doing something wrong but I know all my measurements are right.
RadaTwirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #2  

I also would like to ask if I'm doing this right.
I'm 5'7" and about 200 pounds, I'm eating between 1200 and 1400 calories a day on average and trying to excercise about once a week (usually jogging a mile and a half or so, I'm trying to build up strength)
On average, everything seems to consist of 15% protein, 30% fat, and 55% carbs.
I'm trying to lose between 1 and 1.5 pounds per week.
I'd also like to add that I'm 16 years old, if that affects my metabolism. I have been diagnosed with Cushing's Syndrome, which was my excuse to not bother with losing weight for so long.
I am also being sure to take a multivitamin every day to ensure I get the nutrients I need to get and I'm trying to up my exercise gradually, but I had childhood asthma and my lungs are pretty weak with cardio even if I have very strong legs (I used to dance and can legpress around 350 pounds).

Thanks for all the responses so far.

Last edited by RadaTwirl; 01-15-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 PM   #3  
Warrior Princess

Sounds like you're doing everything right except eventually you'll have to ramp up your exercise to 4-5 days a week. Jogging is a great choice, the weight will fall off as long as you stay good with your calories. 1,400 sounds about right.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 242/232/110

Height: 5ft7

I'm 193.4 now and I use the Lose it! app too. It tells me to eat 1450 calories a day (So I eat from 1200-1450) I too am 5ft7. I'm 18. I lose 3lbs a week. 2oz pasta isn't that much. I used to eat half a box lol not anymore though. You seem to be doing everything right. Just go with what the app tells you. Don't do what I used to do and add to the math. Not a good idea.

You can do this!

Last edited by imabehot; 01-15-2014 at 12:00 AM.
imabehot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:09 AM   #5  

Be sure to keep an open line of communication with your parents/doctor, to make sure that you stay healthy with your lifestyle choices while losing weight!

Don't stress too too much about counting every single calorie; even the best estimates are just that - an estimate!

Personally, I'd also probably bump up your protein; I generally aim for ~1-1.5g/kg of bodyweight every day (I enjoy 30:30:40 better, myself). But you can figure out what works best for you.

Finally, bear in mind that to fill your stomach and be satisfied, veggies tend to have the best 'bang for the buck' value in terms of volume vs. calories.

I will actually respectfully disagree with novangel; jogging might not be your best choice - though she is spot on with recommending 'working out' more than once a week. This is a personal bias about running/jogging because A) I don't enjoy it and B) It is high impact, and can be quite hard on your body. But take this with a grain of salt, k?

I like 'speed walking' for an extra 10min every day. Everyone can find an extra 10minutes a day to speed walk around the house or walk up the stairs a few times. If you have the resources at school, I'd definitely check out adding some resistance (ie. weight lifting, etc.) activity if you can do so comfortably. Or even short periods of high intensity activity.

EDIT: Desiderata has recommended against intense stuff right off the bat. I don't know enough about your personal condition to comment, but please err on the side of safety and make sure that you are progressing in a healthy way. I'll leave it to the people more knowledgeable about Cushing's (ie. Desiderata!).

Stay positive, you're definitely pointed in the right direction!

Last edited by Defining; 01-15-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #6  
diamondgeog

I personally could never control myself if pasta was involved. It is a huge trigger food for me. I am highly susceptible to carbs unless they are in non-starchy vegetables.

The pasta would just raise my blood sugar, the glucose would get stored, and it would just leave me hungry again. Now 2 ounces of Spinach, some almonds....that can fill me up.

In my experience jogging is AWESOME. Almost magical. It has been the best thing ever for my weight loss and just overall health and well-being and mood.

I got a heart rate monitor and my heart rate gets up so fast with jogging. I burn twice the amount of calories in a given time compared to anything else. But then there are many studies how elevated your metabolism gets with jogging/running for a long time after.

My best weight lost weeks almost are 1 to 1 with good jogging weeks. And how it makes you feel? Wow. And how strong it makes your legs...wow. I just played tennis last night after taking a long holiday break. Over that time I had really ramped up my jogging. I was explosive last night. I had no idea how strong my legs had become.

And just last August I could not even jog 30 seconds. If I can become a runner, anyone can.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-15-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #7  
drifting downward!

S/C/G: (HW 194) 175/168/140

Height: 5'5 1/2"

I'll be contrarian -- you do NOT want to ramp up your exercise intensity as other posters have suggested. Walking a few minutes each day and slowly building up may be more appropriate. High-intensity exercise is contraindicated for your condition, as you might be aware. Ask your doctor for guidance, but you can google a bit for ideas - here's one page from 3FC: http://www.3fatchicks.com/how-to-exe...ings-syndrome/

(Your eating plan sounds great, by the way.)
Desiderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:30 PM   #8  

Thanks for the correction Desiderata; I've edited my post accordingly!

Last edited by Defining; 01-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Defining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #9  
diamondgeog

C25K, couch to 5 K programs are very gradual. And you can repeat days and weeks as needed. It was the only way I could get to where I am now jogging. Doing it anything but slow would not have worked.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #10  

1200 calories does not seem like enough for a 200 lb 16 year old. Your body is growing and you need to be mindful of nutrients. I would eat around 1500 calories and make it a goal to move your body every day, even if it's just a 30 minute walk. You are very young and it may not seem like it but slow is the way to go.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #11  

Thanks everyone, that encouragement and feedback is very helpful.