PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 AM   #1  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Default 2014 January PCOS Support Thread

Happy new year!

(The Dec 2013 thread is here. )
  • Who is here this month?
  • What have you been up to?
  • How is your PCOS management going?
  • What are you working on this month?

A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-05-2014 at 02:32 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #2  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm here

Well, the kids are finally back to school so I'm just getting back to that routine. The holidays were nice, but we didn't get outside to play as much as I would have liked, due to the weather and colds.

My PCOS isn't too much of an issue. I mean, weight is always a struggle and the hair stuff, but my cycles are fine.

This month, my goal is to get under 160lbs. Well, I guess that's my goal for until spring! LOL
I've bumped my D3 intake to 4000iu per day. I'll keep that up for the year, I think.

My trouble at the moment is exercise. I think I need to get a second yoga mat for my youngest. She just wont give me space to do any floor work.

Hope everyone else is doing well!
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

Who is here this month?

I think I will be! I will try!

Life got crazy the second half of last year, from school and work and everything else, and I've been out of touch and kind of seeing my weight creep up.

My boyfriend and I are diet buddies and we're trying to do this together because he influenced me in my eating habits and when/if I fell off the wagon.

What have you been up to?

Gaining weight! But I hit my limit and I am focusing on diet again. My labs came back well -- for PCOS I know I've been doing the right things. But I am eating too much even if it's "healthy" food.

How is your PCOS management going?

Great. I am eating healthy foods and exercising. I just haven't maintained my weight!

What are you working on this month?

Eating less and losing weight.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:45 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Who is here this month?

Hi! I'm new to this site and thread! I am going to try and post here as much as possible because I feel like it will aid me in the weight loss process. My name is Sam, I'm 27 and was diagnosed with PCOS in 2010. My doctor was not the best and sadly I have not been back to see her since I was diagnosed. I really just want to find another OB. The only information I was ever given was to lose weight and it would help clear up the PCOS. The cysts on my ovaries are small but still cause pain from time to time, and I don't have periods very often. Maybe 3 or 4 times a year. I am not on any medication for PCOS or birth control. I have been trying to read things online to gain more knowledge on how to gain control of my periods, hopefully stop the hair from growing, it's pretty embarrassing as I'm sure we all can relate to. I'm hoping to gain more knowledge so if there is any good sites that you can tell me about to find more information so that this can be more understood for me, I would appreciate it. I'm hoping to find a new OB this year and go back just to make sure things are ok.

I've been working on getting my makeup artistry portfolio together so that hopefully I will get more freelance jobs when the spring and summer months come and it's wedding season. Other than that I've been hanging out with my hubbs and my cats. Jumping back on the weight loss band wagon after honestly giving up for the past 2 years.

I honestly don't have much management. I never know when my next menstrual cycle is going to be, or how long it will last. My last OB made me feel so bad for how much I weighed it made me not want to go back until I've lost some weight. Since I've seen her I'm pretty sure I've gained. I'm hoping to turn that around but I don't plan on going back to someone who won't give me the information I need.

I'm going to work on eating more whole foods and try to cut out as much processed foods and sugars as possible. I want to start walking again and get out there and just move. It's cold here in the evenings right now so maybe I can do some resistance training in doors if its too cold. I can't do much because my knees hurt sometimes from my weight and sometimes I get foot cramps, but I am going to try and push through it because I need to lose the weight!
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:16 PM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Who is here this month?

Me, Astrophe. (rhymes with catastrophe. Ha! )

I'm usually around reading, but not always posting because I do eldercare for patient parents.

Other than trying to chase my elders around?

I'm hanging in there. Have an appt next month to go over my MRI labs.

The 2000 mg Metformin brought the IR down but my testosterone is still crazy high so the endoc wanted to check my adrenals.

So... waiting to see what (if anything) she found.

Remember to wear my fitbit!

Finding new recipes to cook and make a new menu. I'm bored of the old rotation and on top of that, now I have DH's dietary concerns to add to my own.

This is one of the most challenging bits to management -- the fact that I have a family to cook for and everyone has different needs.

Oy.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/175

Height: 5'3

Who is here this month?

ME :-) even though my period is MIA and it's freaking me out. I have really tender breasts and my back and legs have been sore for about 3 weeks now but ah well.

The last couple of months have been horrible. I lost my job in PR and have been struggling to find another one. The problem is where I live it's not about what you know it's who you know. I've just had 3 rejections just this week - and it's only wednesday - before it's even got to interview stage and it's really breaking me apart. I know it's not me, but I can't help it. Every rejection has resulted in a massive binge session on sweets and chocolates.

Nat good. Like I said I'm sore but nothing has arrived yet. I haven't been eating very well either… chocolates and sweets are not exactly paleo are they?

Trying to be a bit more positive, and keeping up the exercise to 5 times a week while my eating hasn't been too good.
Mission Fat to Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:33 PM   #7  
Tofu tolerator

S/C/G: 164/155/140

Height: 5'3.75

Hang in there girls!
I've been MIA on here lately. Went through a denial phase, it's easier to say I'm just overweight rather than I'm overweight because I have PCOS and will forever.
My PCOS is unfortunately not doing well. My body decided to absorb a not so flattering 13 pounds. My insulin, glucose, and A1C1 is back up. I feel like I'm starting back at square one. Metformin worked great for me in the beginning but now it's stopped.
So my baby sister is getting married in November and I'd like to feel confident in the pictures since they'll be around forever. Especially since I'll be her maid of honor. Also my boyfriend and I are talking of a future. That future includes hopefully children so I need to get my ovaries in line.
Step one.....appointment with endocrinologist, most doctors seem clueless
tofutolerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #8  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Just wanted to say hi! I may not be around a lot, but I did want to chime in an say that weight loss doesn't resolve PCOS. If your doctor thinks everything will go away with just that, please see someone else if you can!

My periods are much more regular now that I am at goal weight, but the hair, hormones, lack of effective ovulation...all still there. I'm going to me RE this week to see where I stand.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/268.8/160

Height: 5'4"

Chickie Thank you for that information! I am trying to find another doctor right now because the last time I saw her she pretty much said that losing weight would help with the PCOS and I should ovulate more regularly. I haven't seen her in 4 years because I left crying and didn't want to go back. I am not finding that I need to see another doctor other than an OB. I'm trying to get health insurance right now since my job doesn't offer health insurance, but it has been much trouble going through that government website.
SamIAm86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 285/275/140

Height: 5'3

Who is here this month? I'm new so first of all HI! I will try and check in weekly!
What have you been up to? I've lost 13lbs pounds so far. My thyroid (hypo) and PCOS go hand in hand. I'm on thyroid meds as well as hormones. I follow a Gluten, Dairy and Soy free vegetarian diet.
How is your PCOS management going? I'm losing weight so no complaints so far.
What are you working on this month? Exercising every day! I haven't been too good about this lately.
FitBegins is offline   Reply With Quote