Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Maintainers Weekly Chat January 13 - January 19

My goal this week is to continue to stick to my eating plan for snacks. I had fallen into that trap that 'healthy' foods were OK - in whatever handful size that I grabbed them. Guess what? A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.

Out walking yesterday in weather around 50 F was a joy after the Polar Vortex freezing air of last week. It was warm enough to think spring - a dangerous notion when the whole of February looms.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Glad you're having warmer weather Bill. We will continue with above freezing and rain this afternoon so I'm hoping a lot of the frozen gunk I'm sliding around on (on foot and in my car) melts before we go back to flurries.

We saw a small theatre production of "Little Shop of Horrors" yesterday afternoon. It was a nice break from the drabness and reality of life. And slow cooker - dinner was ready and waiting when we got home around 7 p.m.

This is going to be a tough week. Bad weather, icy conditions, and dinner walks every day will leave my exhausted, cranky, and wanting to snack in the evening. I thought DH would be available to make dinner this week but turns out he's not. We'll have to eat a bunch of burgers, soup and sandwich etc. meals. We do have some healthier choices in those we make ourselves.

It's going to be a long haul and I might not be around much online. I think I'll go to bed whenever the evening crash happens.

I'm not going to do any weights this week - just stretching and yoga every morning to try to stay limber enough to take the falls on the ice without much more than bruises (I have had 3 near falls already and just about had the back of my car smashed in by a cab out of control on an icy hill yesterday)

Dagmar wishing for
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 06:54 AM   #3  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.
Interesting fact that, Bill. I must bear it in mind.

Dagmar, you crash out as soon as you can! Sending you good safety vibes this week.

Fairly dull here although I've just glanced out and seen a buzzard (Buteo buteo) being shadowed by a gull of some kind (probably black-headed - Chroicocephalus ridibundus). I've been to the gymn and I feel all achy. I should massage my feet.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Dagmar, good luck with the week - I will be thinking about you slipping around. Definitely use whatever free time you get to rest and recuperate.

Bill, stay strong on the snacks! Take some comfort in recent articles that discuss how nut eaters are generally thinner than non-nut eaters.

Silverbirch, as long as the buzzard is not circling directly overhead ...

We're enjoying some above-freezing temps too. Today might make it to 45F. Certain roads and driveways (mine) are crazy skating rinks still, but the commute path has straightened out, thankfully.

DH shut off the leaky shower yesterday and we pulled everything out. The wetness was widespread and almost the entire area of the shower pan. I think the subfloor might be okay as most of the dampness was in the drywall compound on top, and two pieces of OSB. I was afraid the valve itself had been leaking down the walll; I was really glad to be wrong about that!

DH is leaving town for the work week and DS will be studying for midterms. I haven't worked out exactly how I'm going to deal with the week's meals; thank goodness DS is extremely flexible. He's a teenage boy - he will eat anything if he's hungry enough, which is, constantly.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

I'm with you on the snacks Bill. I'm going to try to snack more on veggies and less on fruit.

Dagmar-- that is super scary! Stay safe out there.

My dd left yesterday so I'm back to an empty house. I'm hoping to focus more on my eating and exercise as I don't have to feel guilty or that I'm inconveniencing anybody by my schedule.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I had a great menu for the week planned but ended up with too many leftovers from last night's meal so we'll be eating those instead. Thankfully the stuff I bought freezes well. Salad plays an important role this week.

We golfed both days this weekend and although I didn't do well it felt great to get out and enjoy our weather.

No movies this weekend as DH wanted to watch football. DD came home yesterday and collected her cats (yay!!!). Her fiance didn't come with as he is recuperating from the flu (DD had it over Christmas and now he has it). DD has another week of break before school starts again. She said she got quite stressed last quarter but feels confident she knows what she did wrong and won't repeat it this quarter.

My sister is still in the hospital. She says she's stuck there. It was confirmed she had H1N1 flu and they won't let her leave because they don't understand why her lungs keep filling with fluid. She's had them drained at least once and they keep doing tests to see what's wronge, but no answers are coming from it.

Chico continues to do well although feeding him is still a challenge at times. I think I've figured out that beef causes him to get gas so we'll stick with chicken. He loves chicken. But the new kibble that I got him isn't going over well. Some days he'll eat some and others he'll take it from my hand, act as though he's eating it, and then spit it out.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:12 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I still feel physically impaired by yesterday's work in the gym, which was my first-ever Leg Day, and also by one of those traffic jams that extends my commute to nearly an hour-and-a-half, just to go about 30 miles. I'm in the office, trying to relax my shoulders and breathe, since there is brilliant sunlight bouncing around inside my chilly white-walled office. The temperatures are supposed to hit the low 50s today. This thaw should make me happier. Instead all I can think about is getting through a big writing assignment, getting someone's year-end review done, and then maybe tonight, relaxing in neck-deep tub water with a Lush bath bomb fizzing between my feet.

Please help me realize that scenario as soon & painlessly as possible.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:16 PM   #8  
Workin' It

You guys have heard me talk for years about DSS and his various issues, and you know that more than once we had worries that he would get expelled and never finish a school assignment or get along with anyone. Well, this morning we went to an awards ceremony, where he received a Blue Excellent Eagle award. This is a conduct award, meaning that he only got 1-3 checks in his agenda for this nine weeks. (They get checks for everything - not finishing homework, talking in the hall, not following directions, disrespect, any other kind of conduct issue.) It was pretty fabulous. Sadly, he didn't seem to be having a good morning this morning, so was pretty subdued, but we had a great weekend and he knows how proud we are of him. We might be okay after all.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

That is good news, Shannon!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Cause to celebrate Shannon. That is wonderful. Hopefully he'll be cheered up by his accomplishment.
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #11  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Oh, I'm delighted! He's a great boy! Blue Excellent Eagle? Fabulous.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
My goal this week is to continue to stick to my eating plan for snacks. I had fallen into that trap that 'healthy' foods were OK - in whatever handful size that I grabbed them. Guess what? A handful of nuts contains a zillion calories sitting underneath all its wonderful nutrition-ness.
Say it ain't SO!! That's been my issue lately - snacking on GOOD things, but they add up!!

So yesterday I forced myself on the treadmill with my promise to myself that I would then relax and watch football the rest of the day. I made it 10 miles, almost quit, and then did 3 more!

Feeling all proud of myself I went upstairs and took a shower and then DH and I started to make lunch. At which point our microwave exploded. So we had to make a trip into our nearest town and finally found a microwave that was suitable at our 3rd store.

I was annoyed and angry about spending $160 I didn't intend to spend AND that I missed 1/2 of the NFC game.

We get home and DH wonders why it is getting cold in the house. Our furnace was not working. After a moment of panic, we realize we are out of fuel (we are on automatic delivery so it was the fuel company's fault) - whew!

I called for a refill. He says he will be right out. 3 hours later we are just about to sit down to dinner and he arrives. Fills up the tank but has to re-prime the stupid thing. He throws the reset switch and a HUGE spark flies out and everything crumbles.

Well, he can't fix that, so we'll have to call the technician. Now I am STARVING and pissed. I call the technician. He calls me back over an HOUR later and he is 45 minutes away.

Finally at about 9:45 PM he arrives and wants to bill us the $145 weekend service call plus another $150 for parts and labor (he literally replaced the switch and fixed everything in 15 minutes). OH HE!! NO I tell him.

So he is going to bill "division" - I expect a fight coming up as soon as they receive that bill. Quite an end to what was an unbelievably crappy week.

This week has to be better, right?
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #13  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Oh, Jen. Jeez. Yeah, it has to get better from there! !

Shannon - congrats! That sounds like a big milestone. Hopefully he really enjoyed the positive attention and filed that away!

saef, I hope the bath is everything you need it to be.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:32 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

DH has reminded me we have to have a sense of humour about this house. He cut open the wall last night and we could see just what a hack job the contractor did with the bathroom. He had problems installing the tub. So instead of calling us and explaining things he just hacked away stuff and did a totally improper install. We have no alternate bathroom (or replacement money or place to eventually put one) so we are stuck with this.

It's not the plumbing that's leaking (though there is an issue with it) - it's the grout/caulking beside the tub. So DH now has to remove all that the hack put in and replace it with new grout and a bead of proper silicone caulking. Hopefully that will solve the problem.

So as a temporary measure DH tried to seal the seam with duct tape. Still leaked. I went to bed, repair dollar signs floating in front of my eyes. I got up this morning to find plastic garbage bags duct-taped to the shower enclosure wall. And a note over them

"Red Green was here"

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 AM   #15  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Congrats, Shannon, on your DSS's good week - I'm so happy to hear that.

Dagmar, I've lived for a spell in a bathroom with duct taped plastic over a gaping problem - shudder at the memory. Good luck with your DH's redo efforts.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote