Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 01-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Default Finally have a new goal

I've debated posting a before and after pic for a long time. I've wanted to, but I didn't lose my weight in a traditional way, so I kinda feel like I didn't earn the right. The condensed version of my story is that last year I was diagnosed with throat cancer. I ended up literally not eating for 60 days. Not a bite. I lost a lot of weight very quickly and was sick for a long time. I'm on the mend now and have leveled out at around 155, 90lbs under my high test weight. I feel good now, and am proud of my loss. But I've held off posting a pic because of that nagging thought at I didn't earn it through the healthy eating and exercise plan I tried to maintain when I first started posting here a few years ago.
I've also been struggling we what to do now. My main goal has been to eat as clean as I can to maintain the weight loss and keep myself disease free. But where to go from here? Just try to maintain? Try to lose a few more lbs? I've been torn.
Well, a few days ago I had a health check for my new insurance. It was pretty basic, but went really well. She basically said that all my numbers looked great, I just needed to drop 20 lbs. It's so silly, but I needed that. A goal, just handed to me. With everything that happened it was hard to get a handle on the weight loss and change in my body. To hear someone nonchalantly say you need to drop 20lbs, really made me understand how far I've come since this time last year.

So I'm proud to post my before and after pic, and can't wait to post my final one in the goal section after I drop this next 20 lbs.

[/IMG]
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:14 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. Congrats on beating cancers butt! Good luck meeting goal!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

My goodness, you did it the EXTRA hard way. I'm so, so sorry to hear about the cancer and I'm glad you are on the mend!

You look great!

I have no doubts you'll reach your next goal!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:01 PM   #4  

I was also diagnosed with cancer which started my weightloss (I went on a diet a month after my diagnosis). Poor eating habits (and alcohol too) were creating hormones that was feeding my cancer. It literally made me sick to my stomach to think about food. I ate clean for over a year and was medically supervised to eat low calorie. I will NEVER eat like I did in the past. Filling my diet with more fruits and vegetables than ever has made my body so free and clean (if that makes any sense).

My doctor also wants another 20lbs off me (like we haven't lost enough already!) and I told my husband that just hearing him say that is enough to challenge me in the right, positive way.

Good luck with getting your weight off, I will be thinking of you and praying for you while I work to get mine off too.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:17 PM   #5  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

What you've done is amazing! Congratulations on being in recovery! And congrats on your weight loss progress and also on your new goal! I think you've more than 'earned' your weight loss - I agree with Mrs Snark that beating cancer is the REALLY hard way to do it. I'm really glad to hear that you're doing better!
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM   #6  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

Micki- Congrats on all your successes...your strength to fight back against cancer is inspiring! I am blessed to be the administrator for a cancer center, everyday my heart is touched by those we serve. Thank you for sharing your journey. Best wishes and blessings to you!
BuffieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #7  
Began IP 3-29-2012

S/C/G: 470/316/220

Height: 6'00"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micki k View Post
I've debated posting a before and after pic for a long time. I've wanted to, but I didn't lose my weight in a traditional way, so I kinda feel like I didn't earn the right. The condensed version of my story is that last year I was diagnosed with throat cancer. I ended up literally not eating for 60 days. Not a bite. I lost a lot of weight very quickly and was sick for a long time. I'm on the mend now and have leveled out at around 155, 90lbs under my high test weight. I feel good now, and am proud of my loss. But I've held off posting a pic because of that nagging thought at I didn't earn it through the healthy eating and exercise plan I tried to maintain when I first started posting here a few years ago.
I've also been struggling we what to do now. My main goal has been to eat as clean as I can to maintain the weight loss and keep myself disease free. But where to go from here? Just try to maintain? Try to lose a few more lbs? I've been torn.
Well, a few days ago I had a health check for my new insurance. It was pretty basic, but went really well. She basically said that all my numbers looked great, I just needed to drop 20 lbs. It's so silly, but I needed that. A goal, just handed to me. With everything that happened it was hard to get a handle on the weight loss and change in my body. To hear someone nonchalantly say you need to drop 20lbs, really made me understand how far I've come since this time last year.

So I'm proud to post my before and after pic, and can't wait to post my final one in the goal section after I drop this next 20 lbs.

[/IMG]
I'm glad you are doing better now. First thing I though when I saw you photo was Beautiful! So remember, you are Beautiful. You have a solid goal of twenty more! Go get it! My cancer story is different than yours. I was diagnosed and I gained 60# very quickly, I was already really over weight and I just ate what every I wanted when I wanted, even when I was not hungry. Food is my drug of choice, I need to work to control my over eating. That was in 2004, my HCL was in remission until 2010 and it is again.

Don't feel bad about how you lost it. Every one of us has a story and they're all different. You paid a high price for you WL, it must have been very scary and very difficult for you. Again embrace the new smaller you! And work towards your goals.
usmcvet is offline   Reply With Quote