Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-11-2014, 11:02 AM   #1  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Default Bowflex -- Anyone have one and what's your experience?

We were given a new Bowflex yesterday. I've never used one before, it is definitely odd feeling, with the pulleys and all. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

Up until now, I've been doing some body-weight exercises to supplement my cardio, some of which I will continue and just add the Bowflex stuff -- mostly upper body I think. I'll keep doing squats and lunges for legs, plus running/biking seems to do enough for my legs anyway.

Just curious if anyone else has one and what their results were.

I will say the darn thing is kinda ugly and there was nowhere to put it except the living room. Gah, the sacrifices we make for our health, right?
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 03:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I have a Bowflex Xtreme SEE and I LOVE it. There are a lot of haters of these machines out there, but I use it as well as free weights. It a fantastic way to strength train and you are far less likely to hurt yourself!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

Well hot damn! I wanna get ripped like your avatar!

Thanks for the equipment review!
Old 01-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Ripped?? Geez, I'm been frustrated with my back not being where I want it!! Thanks!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #5  
Hi!

We used to have one, and used it quite a bit for the first year or two. We both had good results. After that, we got into P90X and became happier w/free weights, and the Bowflex just took up space.
mezmerelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:25 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

It sure does take up space, doesn't it? I could store alot of dumbbells in this much space!
Old 01-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I can't wait to hear what you think. I used to want a bowflex in the world's worst way, I think they're cool. Like Mezmerelda I've gone with P90X and free weights but that takes up it's own bit of space as you go along since I have a pullup stand, the weights, the yoga mat, the yoga block, two foam rollers- gah.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 390/373/250

Height: 6'3" 1/2

I got into fantastic shape in high school on a bowflex and have always loved using their machines. I purchased one a few years ago and used it for awhile to the tune of a 60lb loss before falling off the wagon. I've dusted it off and am using it again and am glad to be reunited with my "old friend".

Some things to keep in mind with the resistance is that the weight feels a lot different than a dumbbell and you can usually do a higher weight more easily on the bowflex. I upgraded mine to 410lb for the lat tower exercises and find that a good challenge whereas it would be impossible for me with free weights.

The safety of the machine is great, you can always just let go if something doesn't feel right and you won't lose form do to momentum like with dumbbells.
The amount of areas you can target and sheer number of exercises especially with the lat and leg extensions is impressive. If yours didn't come with any paperwork or exercise demonstrations on dvd they are available online.

Hope you enjoy it!
JPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:02 PM   #9  
Michelle the Vegan

Thanks for the info, Jpiper! I had discovered what you said about using higher weights, we may need to get more bows for that reason.

So far I like it OK, though I feel like the range of motion is somewhat limited. But I'm going to stick with it and see how it goes!