Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-06-2014, 04:31 AM   #1  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

Default Is the treadmill your best ally? I bought myself one!

It's a Spirit treadmill. I made the vow to walk on it 1 hr every day come what may. I placed it right by my bed to make it really present in my life. I hope I'll keep it for life time and keep my walking/running habits for the rest of my life.
The best gym for me is quite at the distance and I'm not on wheels so it's making my life quite simple. I'm saving big on transport time and money.
Plus...I'm totally at ease to train in scanty outfit in the privacy of my home, which for me is a luxury, given the chubby body I have.
Also where I live, fat people don't normally run by the road side so it feels quite uncomfortable doing that.
So I looove my treadmill. It's my buddy on this ultimate weight loss journey. Do you have a home TM? How has it helped you to stay committed?
I'll be glad to receive tips and walking interval workouts.

Last edited by thirti4thirty; 01-06-2014 at 04:33 AM.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 AM   #2  
I WILL make it this time!

S/C/G: 247/195/180

Height: 5' 9 1/2"

Default Eliptical

I have a home eliptical. I used to go to the gym, even though it was 8 minutes away, but now I just head down to the basement and workout on it. Quicker and no excuses if it is raining. It has helped a LOT on my journey towards thinness and giving me better cardio health.
tonyiiiafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #3  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I have a treadmill. I get bored on it. But to keep it interesting, I use an mp3 with Cardio Coach loaded on it. It's a good guided HIIT workout and I've been using it for years.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #4  

A home treadmill has been our best fitness purchase. I bought my first one about 13 years ago. About 5-6 years ago we had to replace it which seems reasonable to me. It can be loud to try to listen to TV while walking/running on it. So I suggest getting one of those thingies that will transmit the TV audio to a radio frequency so you can listen to the TV through headphones. But that may not be a concern for you.
Maurene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:25 PM   #5  
it's always something

Congrats on a great gift for yourself! I love my treadmill and walk on it a minimum of an hour a day, every day. I have an mp3 player of favorite (fast) songs that I think help pass the time quicker and I only listen to it when I'm on the treadmill, so it's something to look forward to. I often find myself wanting to walk 'just one more song' I also have an elliptical and I use it, but for some reason I prefer the treadmill. I use both since they seem to target slightly different muscles.

I think it absolutely helps keep me on track. I exercise in the mornings, so it helps set the tone for the rest of the day.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

Lucky you!!! I have an elliptical and would like to get an treadmill one day (I'll have to figure out where to put it first, lol.) Enjoy your new gift to yourself!

I hear ya on working out at home and to having to worry about what you're wearing. Love that!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 313/165

Height: 5'7

I'm moving in a few months and fully intend to get a home treadmill. I used to have an elliptical but it served as little more than an expensive coat hanger. I used it once in awhile but I much prefer a treadmill.
Silver Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:59 PM   #8  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I think I would like one but prefer to run outside or on a treadmill at the gym.

I run better with others around me. It's less boring. And sometimes you can compete with friends.

A big plus with having a home treadmill, however, is temperature control. One of the gyms I run at always runs a little hot and that really affects my speed.

Keep your home cool and run faster!

My advice is to use that treadmill every day or 6 out of 7 days.

I just started to run. I was too impatient for the walking. My first run at 220lbs was half a mile. I was a mess. I now run 6.22 miles a day.

Just keep running the same distance for some time until it gets easier. Once you find it easier you can either try to run it faster or run slower but further.

I normally try to run faster, first, and then slow down to run longer. I then make that longer distance my new daily normal.

Last edited by IanG; 01-06-2014 at 03:02 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

I love my treadmilll and also hate it! I prefer to run outside, but when it's 10 degrees with wind and snow, I'm on the treadmill.

My dogs also run on it, so it's good exercise for them.

I am the exact opposite of Ian. I CRANK the heat in our workout room. I'm dripping with sweat by the end, but more calories burned!!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:58 PM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I love my treadmill. Love it. Love. Love. Love.

I've had great results using mine, wouldn't trade it for the world. No matter the weather, no matter the hour, the treadmill is there for me. I have mine set up in front of a TV and am working my way through various tv shows on Netflix. Usually for my last half mile I switch to Pandora and crank the rock music for a strong finish.

Oh, and I wouldn't be caught dead outside in what I wear on my treadmill. MAJOR benefit, lol!

Did I mention that I loooooove my treadmill?

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 01-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:19 PM   #11  
Ice Cream Slave

S/C/G: Waist size: 20/20/8

Hey! I just bought a treadmill, and it was delivered today. I'm about to do my 1st work-out. My goal is a minimum of 30 min./day every day. I'll work up to an hour. Wanna be treadmill buddies? We could hold each other accountable for utilizing our expensive new toy, lol.
JellyBelly1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #12  
Blessed Person Here

S/C/G: Going/Still going/Gone

Height: 5' 1''

I sure would like to have a TM buddy for accountability! Let's start a new thread in exercise for more fun.
thirti4thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #13  
fluffy

S/C/G: 204/201/174

Height: 5'6''

A while ago I used the TM a lot at the gym and I loved it mainly because it had a TV screen and headphones. If I had it at home, I imagine I would run ALL the time while watching all my favourite TV series!

I hope someday I make enough money to buy it and be your TM buddy.
Velvet bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 PM   #14  
I dream in sci-fi

S/C/G: 222/150/150

Height: 5'6"

One of the best purchases I have ever made, and certainly the most healthy. I love mine. When I couldn't run after my car accident in June, I would crank the incline on mine and do uphill walking. That works great to get the heart rate up.
JuvenileNarcissist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 188 my goal is 130-140

Height: 5'4

I loved my TM until my kids broke it, it was very old, my parents had it since I was in elem, so it was about time for it to go. I would get the kids to school eat breakfast then get on it for 30 min's everyday. But since the weather got cold out and I started work, I haven't walked at all, so I gained all the weight I lost back, so now i'm trying to find something else to take the place of it til it gets warm out again.
Surfergirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote