Old 01-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #1  
Getting smaller everyday

S/C/G: HW: 393/IP: 347/CW: 198/GW:175

Height: 5'6

Question Weight Training

Has anyone done it on this diet? I know you're not suppose to do excessive exercise but I want to start incorporating it before the flab (not weight) is harder to lose. Just wanted thoughts, opinions, experiences.
watchoutforthatcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #2  

Did you do a search for exercise threads?
There are MANY

after about a month on IP, weight training would be a great addition
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #3  
Getting smaller everyday

Oh ok. Whenever I did a search it pulled up every forum and I didn't want to search through everything if it didn't pertain to this.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 187+hi/177.7start IP/109/112.7

Height: 4'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutforthatcar View Post
Oh ok. Whenever I did a search it pulled up every forum and I didn't want to search through everything if it didn't pertain to this.
I think you're going to have to do some reading...there is a LOT on this.

Try searching specific exercise forums...there is a lot of good information from a lot of sources. Also do a google search using "IP and weight training". You may get closer to what your real question is that way. After you read some of the stuff that has been shared, you may have more specific questions and posting on an exercise thread will get your questions to the ones who can answer...
65X65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM   #5  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchoutforthatcar View Post
Has anyone done it on this diet? I know you're not suppose to do excessive exercise but I want to start incorporating it before the flab (not weight) is harder to lose. Just wanted thoughts, opinions, experiences.
What a coincidence that you brought this up today. I have this on my list to talk to the coach about today. I mostly want to work on my bat wings and if there is a way to get rid of my "lump" of fat above my waist. I don't want to do much, but I have some low weights at home. I'll let you know what they say.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoCarol View Post
What a coincidence that you brought this up today. I have this on my list to talk to the coach about today. I mostly want to work on my bat wings and if there is a way to get rid of my "lump" of fat above my waist. I don't want to do much, but I have some low weights at home. I'll let you know what they say.
curious to hear what you learn or find about bat wings!! first time im hearing that term but i have a feeling its what id like to work on too!
thethinwhiteduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:21 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethinwhiteduke View Post
curious to hear what you learn or find about bat wings!! first time im hearing that term but i have a feeling its what id like to work on too!
Sorry, my friends, family and I call them "bat wings". It is the "flab" (for lack of a better term) that is under your upper arm (hanging down) when you hold your arms up.

I want to try to get rid of that naturally. If I was to get plastic surgery I would focus on a panniculectomy/tummy tuck and the bust.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #8  

Quote:

Resistance training is highly recommended...(not heavy weights)...try looking into circuit training. That gives you resistance and some cardio on the recovery stations in between. You can tweak the intensity to meet your fitness level and remember to keep things low-moderate on that scale while dieting. This forms the daily habit too which appears to be a huge mountain to climb if you wait until maintenance. Good for anyone who starts thinking about incorporating it while they are on the way to goal. Maintenance has so many challenges and obstacles...it is good to get "the habit" piece incorporated before there is so much more to control

Last edited by 65X65; 01-09-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65X65 View Post
Resistance training is highly recommended...(not heavy weights)...try looking into circuit training. That gives you resistance and some cardio on the recovery stations in between. You can tweak the intensity to meet your fitness level and remember to keep things low-moderate on that scale while dieting. This forms the daily habit too which appears to be a huge mountain to climb if you wait until maintenance. Good for anyone who starts thinking about incorporating it while they are on the way to goal. Maintenance has so many challenges and obstacles...it is good to get "the habit" piece incorporated before there is so much more to control
65X65, definitely want to start incorporating some sort of exercise/weight training now. I am going to use my home weights for now as the budget won't bear a gym membership at this time because all the $ going to IP.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #10  

Quote:
65X65, definitely want to start incorporating some sort of exercise/weight training now. I am going to use my home weights for now as the budget won't bear a gym membership at this time because all the $ going to IP.
I'm sure you can work out some type of circuit for yourself..using a small step stool, a flight of stairs and weights. If you have a stationary bike that would be another element you could add, but if not no biggie. Use a wall for upright planks and floor stuff for push ups and leg lifts and squats. A few years ago a personal trainer developed a circuit for me and using a lot of things like elastic bands and balls for resitance as well as what I mentioned and interspersed all with weights. We use (weighted) hula hoops at my gym! (Now that's a sight at 7AM)

It absolutely can be a DIY!!! Check Youtube...!!

Last edited by 65X65; 01-09-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #11  
Getting smaller everyday

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM   #12  

65X65,as always - you give great suggestions. Thank you so much.

Anyway, I did talk to the coach about the bat wings and upper abdomen fat. On the arms she said absolutely. She said to make sure to isolate/work the right muscle,use lighter weight (like 5 lb). She also said that when it gets to feel too light, increase the repetitions, not the weight. She said the upper abdomen is harder to figure out. She said I may never get the absolutely flat stomach. I almost laughed. I didn't think I'd ever get a perfectly flat tummy. I am 45, had 2 laparoscopic surgeries (lap band an then appendectomy this past October), I would like to reduce the rolls. I'll have to research that some more.

Have a good evening.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 250/215/155

Height: 5'8"

I call mine "kimono arms", also have used the term "bat wings". I workout with weights. I also have a personal trainer. I just tell him what my coach told me, which is low weight higher repetition. I also belly dance. Hasn't effected my weight loss in a bad way. I'd talk to my coach though.
CrimsonKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #14  

Quote:
65X65,as always - you give great suggestions. Thank you so much.

Anyway, I did talk to the coach about the bat wings and upper abdomen fat. On the arms she said absolutely. She said to make sure to isolate/work the right muscle,use lighter weight (like 5 lb). She also said that when it gets to feel too light, increase the repetitions, not the weight. She said the upper abdomen is harder to figure out. She said I may never get the absolutely flat stomach. I almost laughed. I didn't think I'd ever get a perfectly flat tummy. I am 45, had 2 laparoscopic surgeries (lap band an then appendectomy this past October), I would like to reduce the rolls. I'll have to research that some more.

Have a good evening.
Just remember an IP Coach isn't knowledgeable in the field of weight training (unless they are also a fitness trainer) so the info they are giving could very easily be hogwash. I'd consult a fitness trainer who understands PSMF diets. Forever increasing reps is ridiculous!
The advice to start low is good advice for anyone staring weight training. However, outside of that, be careful about advice given by someone when it is outside their realm of expertise. Even 10 lb weights would be considered "low" in the fitness field, so don't think you're stuck with 100-200 reps with a 5 lb weight. That's just silly.

Any core exercises will work on the muscles under the rolls. Only weight loss will reduce the rolls, however.

The hard thing for all of us to remember is we can't spot reduce and the effects of weight training will be seen over time.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:29 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Just remember an IP Coach isn't knowledgeable in the field of weight training (unless they are also a fitness trainer) so the info they are giving could very easily be hogwash. I'd consult a fitness trainer who understands PSMF diets. Forever increasing reps is ridiculous!
The advice to start low is good advice for anyone staring weight training. However, outside of that, be careful about advice given by someone when it is outside their realm of expertise. Even 10 lb weights would be considered "low" in the fitness field, so don't think you're stuck with 100-200 reps with a 5 lb weight. That's just silly.

Any core exercises will work on the muscles under the rolls. Only weight loss will reduce the rolls, however.

The hard thing for all of us to remember is we can't spot reduce and the effects of weight training will be seen over time.
Lisa (great picture!), great points. The coach I saw yesterday (she isn't my normal coach - my normal coach has been on vacation), is a chiropractor and has a background in kenesiology. I am also researching on the net. I may not have explained correctly, she said that low weights and increasing reps would be better than increasing weight while on P1 so I didn't have to include additional protein. She also said core strengthening now will put me in a better position when all the weight is gone.

I am a big research type of person, so I am going to verify all of it. I just want to get started on something.