Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Default Worldlies January - Janus, god of the New Year and good intentions.

Morning all,

Sorry I wasn't around yesterday to see in the New Year for you and wish you all good luck and good food and good exercise. I was kept very busy by an 18 month old.
I wish everything that is good for everyone. As my friend Roni posted......

May the telemarketers wait to make their sales calls until you finish dinner; may the commercials on TV not be louder than the program you have been watching, and may your cheque book and your budget balance – and include generous amounts for charity.
With every new year, comes greater challenges and obstacles in life. I wish you courage, hope and faith to overcome all the hurdles you face. May you have a great year and a wonderful time ahead.

To go back to Christmas - click http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/supp...ristmas-2.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sophia 079 (800x600).jpg (21.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sophia 018 (800x600).jpg (21.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Sophia 019 (800x600).jpg (18.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Shad; 12-31-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #2  

Height: 5'7"

Shad: Happy New Year to you!

We are just getting ready to go celebrate DH's birthday with dinner with friends and then we will be coming back to our house for cake and to watch the ball drop.

We are getting ready to head out so I must close. Thank you to all of you for being so lovely and welcoming to me on your thread. I look forward to spending 2014 with all of you and seeing us reach the goals we set for ourselves.

Happy New Year!
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:47 PM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi chicks,
Thanks for setting up the new thread Shad. S is just the prettiest chick of all. A real beaut! I see she is helping you get your steps in for the day. Good girl!

What lovely pictures of the beach. As we sit here quite cold what I wouldn't give to be sitting on a beach. And a not so crowded one at that. Enjoy some for me too please.

I did get some butchering practice in. Bought a whole beef tenderloin and with an expert YouTube chef and a laptop on the counter, we were able to cut the thing down and not ruin it. It was a joint project between DH and I. Because of thyroid issues my hands get super cold very quickly. The meat was very cold - I had it sitting in a cold pack outside and I made the first couple of cuts and then my fingers were freezing. DH had to help do the trimming and the cutting of the filet steaks. I did wind up with a petite roast, 8 filets (on the smaller side) and 2 pounds of stew beef. We selected filets for our dinner, froze the rest along with the petite filet and I will make the stew this week in the crock pot. We pan fried the steaks - DH wrapped his in bacon and they were heavenly melt in your mouth. It was a nice dinner. Since I stayed off the computer I was able to get a closet sorted out, trim up the beef and get supper going, got several loads of laundry done, set aside some clothes for donations and cleaned up 2 hot spots with papers I kept intending to sift through. And my neck is only a tiny bit sore - huge difference from the last few days. And I feel like I accomplished something good.

I have 2 bottles of wine chilling between the outside door and the screen door. Am going to take a shower and then open the wine and then go check out Weight Watchers new plan - at least I think they have a new plan. I hope that new plan includes wine. If not I'll have to finish both bottles tonight I also picked up a diet and exercise log which has some good tips I want to browse through. Not much on TV that excites me - surely won't be watching Justin Beiber or Mariah Carey count the new year down. I'd rather have the cats sing to me.

Anyway Happy New Year to all the chicks. Let it be a good one for all of us in all sorts of ways. And Susie - we are glad to have you on board on this journey.

Last edited by happy2bme; 12-31-2013 at 08:49 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:06 PM   #4  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Shad - Thanks for starting the New Year thread!! S is GORGEOUS! She's so lovely! What great photos of the beach. Reminds me that I should get to the beach one of these weekends....After 12 winters in Wisconsin it's difficult to think of going to the beach in January...but I can here.

Happy - I just heard a commercial for weight watchers totally online starter plan. I think I might look into it. Where did you get that diet and exercise log? I'm watching Charlie and the Chocolate Factory with Johnny Depp, followed by the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

D's out of town in Monterey, so it's just me, Santa and the roomates (who have both gone to their rooms). Guess I'll go fix some dinner and relax.

Tomorrow, I'm getting my hair done (cut and color to cover the gray) in prep for my new job and my niece's wedding this weekend, which I'm flying to Southern CA to attend. Santa will be at day care while I'm getting my hair done, then he and I are going to the dog park.

Happy New Year my wonderful friends! May 2014 bring us happiness and good health.

Much love and many hugs,

Last edited by diyana; 12-31-2013 at 10:07 PM.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 AM   #5  
Choose your hard

Well the farmer men have begged off and gone to bed well before the midnight hour. DH would have stayed up had I forced him but there is nothing on TV and nothing much to keep him awake so I told him to just go to bed. This will be a quiet new year. Nothing wrong with that.

Michelle - here's the book - I got it at Amazon. You might be able to get it cheaper using one of their other book sellers but I like using my Prime membership - at least I know it's coming in 2 days.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Diet-...imate+diet+log

It's a spiral bound book- has a quote on top for each day. There's not a lot of room to log things in - if you write small you'll be ok. Think about those spiral bound flat office calendars where you'd write meetings in from 7am to 6pm - small boxes but workable. You have a place to record 3 meals and 2 snacks and tally points or calories. There's a notes section for exercise and if you met your goals for the day. Also a tiny spot for success of the day - great to end the day on a positive note. Then there's a weekly wrap up which is nice - answer some questions about glitches and successes for the week. This is a companion guide to her first log which was for workouts - so more landscape is given to food over exercising. This will work for any program you choose - whether you are tracking exchanges, points or calories. There are several journals on Amazon but of course they don't show you the details because then some enterprising person would copy the log and not buy the book. This log runs for 26 weeks. So far it looks decent except I wish it was top spiral bound for lefties.

I looked at the WW program - they have a 2 week kick start which utilizes foods from one of their existing programs. I don't really see much new with them and I'm really leaning to just using FitPal or something and tracking calories. Although I hate tracking calories even more than I hate tracking points. I really liked the original WW exchange system. What I really need is a discipline pill. But with many of you committed to a fresh start, hopefully we can all support each other to becoming more fit and healthy in the new year.

So Michelle are you going to take the plunge and get a new style to go with your new CA life? You can't have WI hair in sunny CA you know Come on, the first cut is the hardest and it's just hair - it will grow back. You look like you have a nice wave in your hair so you could probably do some fun stuff.

I put 2 bottles of wine between the outside storm door and the laundry room entrance door. There were there about 2 hours. Went to get them and they were frozen solid. Guess negative 20 degrees will freeze anything. I do have Malibu rum, amaretto and some flavored vodkas but I just ain't feeling the drink now so that's probably a good thing.

With that I'll log off and go check out the Kathy Lee and Hoda 2013 year in review I recorded earlier.

Happy New Year to All the Chicks.
Old 01-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning and welcome to the New Year. I didn't stay up to welcome in the new year but was awakened by at least gun shots. I sat up in bed and thought what was that. Got up and looked at the clock said happy new year and went back to bed.

Happy
How is frozen wine after it's thawed? I like the old method of Weight watchers too, exchange method. My main thing is eating to heavy of a meal to late at night.

Shad
How adorable is S. And lucky you for being on the beach. That sure would be a welcome sight.

Michelle
Did you make the chicken noodles? I'm going to try my hand at make dumplings this week end. I'm also craving a coconut cream pie. Do you start to work tomorrow?

Susie
My cousin had a birthday on the Dec 30, but they will celebrate that today.
Hope you had a good time.

Annie and Laura

---------------
Nothing new for me. I'm holding down the fort today at work and thankful that I do have a job.
Road the bike for 20 minutes last night.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #7  
Choose your hard

Good morning chicks,

to you. It was a quiet one for me. I did some writing last night and went to bed pretty late. I don't know if it's the mid week holiday or what, but it feels like any other day. I saw in the news where they are increasing the postage rates by 3 cents the end of January. People are in an uproar. I think like the airlines - the post office is going to price themselves out of business. One stamp won't bust a person's wallet but at almost 50 cents a stamp, it sure will put the death knell on people sending greeting cards. On that note I stopped in the Hallmark shop (card store Joy) and purchased a special card for Mom, Sis and Hubby - 4 cards - $17 dollars And the sentiment in the cards wasn't all that special either so.. between the price of the cards and stamps - getting too costly even for me although it's a shame, as I was digging out decorations I came across even more boxes of greeting cards - I bought a big pack this year too so now I have enough cards to probably send to every family in town And yes, I never did get this year's cards out - my one Aunt is complaining to my Mom about it. She and my Mom have gotten to the age where they count the number of cards they send out for Christmas and the number they get back. I guess I can pick up the slack from Mel with senior stories. Did I also mention that my cousin gave my Mom a huge dish of her delicious home made toffee and gave my sister a small dish which she gives to several people. Mom got an extra big plate this year. So... Sister tells me that she comes in the room and Mom is shoving pieces of toffee into her mouth FROM Sis's plate! Mom left hers all wrapped up and put away. Sis was agast because my cousin makes really good toffee. And then, I'm talking to my Mom last night and she tells me that she is saving the candy I sent her and she didn't even touch the toffee that D made. Oh really?

Anyway I am going to have to work on my computer. Something is up with a video driver that needs updating so I can play my yoga dvds. I realized too when I was looking at Weight Watchers online that because they changed their program a couple of years ago and recalculated points values, that I lost about 100 recipes I had stored. That was one of the biggest reasons I kept my account active. I might be the only person in the country who actually cancels their subscription in January but that's what I'm going to do. I'll try calculating calories for a while. So menu planning is on the list for today.

I think I want one more night of the Christmas tree and decorations so I'm leaving that up. I am working tomorrow so I'll take down all the holiday stuff this weekend which will also allow me to sort things and organize them and set aside stuff that needs to get donated or trashed.

Ceejay - good for you for riding your bike last night. Beats guzzling down wine and eating cheese and crackers Hope you have a quiet day at the office. I would think people would not be calling and bugging you today. Be careful in that icy weather.

Hello to the rest of the chicks.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:51 PM   #8  

Morning all. Happy New Year!! Just a quick hello. Last night was nice, but the restaurant/bar party was fewer people than probably expected due to the snow.

It's snowing a lot here - forecast to go all day, and yet another wave tomorrow.

Late night/early morning (friends up relatively early in search of coffee), so I'm feeling a nap coming on. Already not looking forward to returning to work tomorrow. I'll get over it. ..

Signing off for now. Everyone have a pleasant day.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #9  

We had a nice New Years Eve dinner out for DH birthday. We got back to our house around 11 pm, watched the ball drop and went to bed about 1.

It has been a lazy day for me and I have enjoyed it. Back to work tomorrow for both me and DH. We are to get 2-4 inches of snow. Just lovely for the 1 hr commute.

I plan on packing my workout bag so I can workout tomorrow at lunch.

Laura: it looks like we both are dealing with cold and snow. I hope your day at work tomorrow is a good one. Thank goodness it is almost Friday!

Happy: when I read your posts and see the temperatures you have I get cold! We have cold in Ohio but not the cold you are having.
Good for you for getting the closet cleaned out. I hope that tomorrow you get your tree down and things organized. It is such a nice feeling to have it done.

I saw you list that you have been using My Fitness Pal. I use it too. If you want to friend me on there so we can be accountable with the food journaling, let me know and I will PM you my email so you can find me on there that way.

Ceejay: what a way to be woke up! When you ride your bike how long do you ride? How many miles do you ride?

Michelle, did you get your hair done and did you do anything different?

Hi Shad and Annie.

I will see you all tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:58 AM   #10  

I had full intentions of getting back into here today. Sorry it isn't going to happen. 4 hours sleep + 4 hours shopping + 4 hours menu planning, exercise planning, thinking about who I should let know I am back and another couple of hours in the laundry, on the end of the vacuum cleaner and sorting the luggage and I am buggered. Exercise today involved the shopping and climbing the hill.
Food wasn't too bad though.
Back tomorrow. Early night required.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #11  

Morning all. Taking a vacation day today. I checked my work email & the boss is working from home. She extended that to the rest of us. I didn't take home my laptop & wouldn't be able to work on what I wanted to so I originally intended to go to the office. Then the snow began to fall again in earnest. That's when I decided to just stay home. Glad I have the leftover vacation to spare.

I'll be back later from the desktop for personals.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #12  
Choose your hard

Good morning all,

Back to work for everyone, including me. Yesterday was a late night, I got set up with MyFitnessPal and entered my food for the day. It was a calorie bomb but I know that, using up the last of the holiday food. We had some pre-cooked frozen Canadian whole lobsters that we picked up before Christmas. DH had been wanting lobster. They were small - about a pound each and really, anything under a pound and a half doesn't yield enough meat to make it worthwhile. But we had some lobster, cold shrimp and a salad so it was a nice meal.

Physical therapy just called - they have a cancellation for tomorrow so I can get in earlier to have them work on the vertigo. Yay!

Susie - I will PM you my email later. My 3FC message box is just about full - I need to go back and save some info and delete messages to make some room and then I'll send you my info. Good for you for packing the gym bag to take to work. Do you have a gym at work or some place nearby?

Laura - you sure did get socked with the snow. Over a foot I hear and more lake effect today. Good thing you didn't have to go out in it. Be careful shoveling.

Shad - sounds like you are a whirlwind of activity getting back into gear for the work week. Guess this means the holiday is over for you. Hope you had a good time with the wee one. Get a good night's sleep. I like your new avatar.

Ceejay - it always made me nervous people shooting off their guns at the stroke of midnight on New Year's. Even where I lived down south we could hear shots. I understand you about having a heavy meal at night. Seems if I eat lighter - soup or something - I look for something around 9pm which is bad. What time do you have supper when you are working?

Michelle - saw your makeover on FB - looks really nice!

Hi Annie

I'm off to get the beef stew in the crockpot before I leave for the shop. Have a good day everyone.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:16 AM   #13  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Giggly Wiggly....took me 2 1/2 hours to get to work. 465 interstate around Indy was practically shut down. Yikes. Had to go all side streets to work and man were they messy. People are just nuts out there. We had 6 inches at my house. Shoveled twice for princess Sassacakes. Man is she short...lol.

Stuffed cabbage was delish. Bro and SIL came over as did Cs younger daughter MaryAnn. Yes they got that name off of Gilligan's Island (sitcom Shad) from back in the day. Served cream cheese mashed red potatos with the skin on them. Garlic bread and tomato/mozzarella/basil/olive oil salad. Yum yum. Looks like we will have leftover stuffed cabbage tonight. Taters were scraped clean from the bowl.

SHADDIE...lil S is so adorable. I tell you, Jacob and she will make a splashingly beautiful couple when grown. We should start early. lol When do you go back to work.

HAPPY...beef stew sound good about now. We are to get another snow storm on Sunday and very cold temps at night -15. Stew and soups sound really really good. Our NYs eve was very uneventful also. In bed by 9:30.

SUSIE...Getting a good start on the healthy eating and exercising for 2014 sound like a great idea. Good for you!

CEEG...good for you on riding the bike. Was NYs boring at work for you? Much happen?

LAURA...Sound like you had a nice night out on NYs eve. I remember going out like that, I am just getting too old for that these days.

CHELLE...new hair cut/color for the new job in the new year. Hmmm sounds like a trend of new for you! lol Have fun at the wedding and good luck on the new job.

MELLIE...still missing you my friend.

Have a marvelous Thursday all.

Love and hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #14  

Hi Everyone. We have the most beautiful snowfall this morning. It added about 20 min to my commute.

A lot of people are still off work and so the traffic wasn't too bad. I hope it will be easy to get home. DH & I ride-share to work most days, so it will be nice that we are both in the car on the way home. I worry when we have bad weather and we aren't together on the road.

I just finished eating an apple as a snack before my noon workout. Then I'll have lunch after I'm back from the workout. I brought soup...fitting day for it.

Shad: You have one busy day! Here's hoping that you had a good nights sleep, work up feeling accomplished (you should..you did a lot!) and are ready for the new day ahead.

Annie: I heard this morning that Indy was getting a lot of snow today. Be safe out there!

Happy: I hope the PT will help with the vertigo. I didn't know you had issues with that. I have heard it can be horrible. Hopefully it doesn't affect you all the time?
I'm looking forward to connecting with you on MyFitness Pal. I'll watch for your PM.

Laura: I LOVE WFH days (we have what is called "flex anytime" and so if we need to WFH we can and we don't have to have permission; but we must treat that as a privelage and not abuse it or it can go away) and with the weather I'm glad you were had a leftover day and could just stay home.

Hi Michelle & Ceejay!

I need to get back to work. I will see you all tomorrow. Have a great day!
Old 01-02-2014, 02:00 PM   #15  

Morning all,
Good sleep but woke up at 4.00am Silly me. However I did finish a book while laying in bed and keeping warm. Day before yesterday I was laying in bed trying to keep cool.
Wellington is grey, overcast, windy and cool today. No doubt it will rain soon too. Hope I can get down the street to get to the shop for the things I forgot yesterday. Fortunately there is a convenience store a block down the road. Getting back up the hill could be interesting although I will have the milk to weigh me down I guess.

Laura - sounds like the weather is keeping you all indoors for the time being. Sad that you have to take a leave day because you can't work at home. Here we have the 1st and the 2nd of Jan as public holidays - first only in Australia. Friday - 3rd is a normal work day for most but then most people will have taken the day as a leave day to have a long break after Christmas and NYears. The project I am working on is closed until the 6th so I don't go back until Monday.

Happy - Lobsters hey?!!!! Sounds nice. I saw crayfish (lobster more or less) in the fish market at Adelaide when M and I went down to pick up the prawns for Christmas lunch. They were huge but what a price - $99 for one. Mind you it would have feed 4 people well. Cooked lobster tails were running at $300 per kilo. Guess they are out of most peoples reach these days unless you go out and catch them yourself.
Yes I had a good time with the little madam. She is managing quite easily to run the parents ragged. Mostly she is a good child but she does like her own way and she refuses to eat which drives M mad. Unfortunately you can't tell M that no child will willingly starve herself and that she (M) should count her blessings that she has a happy, healthy, bright, slightly underweight child. Her father was just the same. The fights over food drove me crazy. I went outside, repotted the orchid and talked to the dog.

Annie - Better tell Jacob that Miss S might be high maintenance when grown. He needs the chance to change his mind. She will definitely be into the finer things of life. She gets them now so why should that change.
Dinner sounds nice - except for the possibility of cabbage. I only like mine raw thanks all the same. We did have Gilligans Island some years back. Don't think I ever saw it although my sister was a fan.

Susie - soup sounds nice. I might just make some pumpkin soup today if I have time. It's easy, nourishing, warming and quick. Thanks for the idea. Take it easy on the icy roads. Don't envy you the travel in that weather. Had enough of that when I lived down south in NZ and used to wake up to a Christchurch winter or a Twizel hoar frost. Hang on to your white stuff. Don't need it down here.

Christmas break went very well. It seems M has decided I am a friend rather than a foe and we got on very well for a change. Little S is quite delightful most of the time. Like any kid she can be a bit of a devil and when DS1 describes her as Cyclone Sophia, he isn't exactly wrong. Christmas time she got far too many presents and got bored unwrapping them. They would have done better to just get a couple and put the other stuff away. Between the grandparents she got a bit more than normal as well I guess. And then we went to IKEA and I saw this little red rocking moose which she loved, so I bought that for her too. She loves it and is a bit of a daredevil on it. Hopefully she won't rock it over her toes or take a tumble on it - because it will be a trip to ER if she does. Mum will insist on it even if the only evidence is a broken fingernail.
She is currently getting the back molars and the mouth is giving her grief - which explains the I don't wanna eat bit. We went out to Stirling for a pub lunch the day before I left. She didn't want to eat and I went to the bar and requested ice blocks in a plastic glass. It was an instant hit. Numbed the mouth enough to get the happy little girl back into a normal frame of mind and she ate a fair amount of my pizza and garlic bread. Wonder what that did to the system I don't change nappies (diapers).
I also cooked up some apples for her and she ate those happily enough after a long play at the beach and a chase around the sand. She is one of those kids who need to be on the move almost constantly and therefore if the exercise is not done, then the food doesn't get a look in. Wish I could convince M of that.

Enough of that. I'd better get on with today. Yesterdays food consisted of:

Bread roll with vegemite and coffee
Small sandwich of pumpkin & potato bread with corned beef, pickles, cheese and salad leaves
Small steak with roasted potatoes, kumara (sweet potato) and some carrots
Small cube of dark chocolate.

I'm hungry now but need to exercise before breakfast so I had better get off this computer and get on with life.

See ya