Old 01-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #1  
The Princess O' Pets

Default Bringing back The LC Book Club!!!

We need to bring back our book club thread since the crash.

So put your favorite book recommendations here, if 2 of you want to send a book to eachother go for it! If you are a library person still make your recommendations but if you read a book off the list let that person know so that we can discuss the book.

For recommendations put the book and you can rate it....

1-4 . Give part of the story line or just why you loved or hated the book.

OOOOO this is gonna be fun!!!

Foufy...does that sound right?? Like what we had last time??
How do we make it a sticky thread??
Theo'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #2  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

I think Leens or someone needs to make it into a sticky!

My previous recommendation was:

Perfume, the story of a murderer by Patrick Susskind.

Takes place in France...about a boy born without a sense of smell which causes many trials and tribulations in his life as he grows - saga of his life really....great fiction..very riveting and hard to put down - unlike anything you have read before - very eye opening and enlightening about the meaning of life.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Froufy
Froufy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 12:04 PM   #3  
The Princess O' Pets

MY recommendations......

Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden ; excellent, timeless story!! One of the best books I have ever read. 4

Where The Heart Is by Bille Letts; feel good story about a young girl that has her baby in Walmart, then she turns her life around!! Great book! 4

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb; Great story and has a weightloss story in it and is a feel good story about overcoming obsticles and raising self worth. 4

Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen ; Crazy story but fun...lots of twist and turns. A crappy excuse for a human being gets stalked because he throws trash out on the side of the road. Soon he loses everything! Government corruption meets stalker! 4

Take It Like A Man, Autobiography Of Boy George by Boy George and Spencer Bright ; the be all tell all, great book couldn't put it down!! 4
Old 01-09-2004, 12:25 PM   #4  
Movin' and Losin'

I second TG's recommendation of "Sick Puppy." I definitely give it four big stars! My boss gave it to me for Christmas. At first I thought he was psycho, but then I ended up not being able to put it down. So many twists, turns and craziness! And, it's set in Florida, so that made it even more fun to read.

TG: Have you read any other Carl Hiassen books? I'm definitely going to check his others out. If there even half as good as "Sick Puppy," I'll be happy!
jdoggmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 08:45 PM   #5  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

Hi all.....so how do we decide which books?

One of my MOST favourite books is "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon. It is a romance historical fiction book set in both modern day time and Scotland in the 18th century. Very much a page turner! This was the first in a series of 3 other books continuing with the main characters.

Ken follett.......Pillars of the Earth
Wally Lamb...........I know this much is true.
Jean Auel..........Clan of the bear cave
angel-eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 10:24 PM   #6  
Searching

Quote:
Originally posted by Theo'sgirl
MY recommendations......

Memoirs Of A Geisha by Arthur Golden ; excellent, timeless story!! One of the best books I have ever read. 4
I agree completely! I also like Clan of the Cave Bear (the first one!)

The Lives of Dax by Various Authors-4 This is pretty much for ST DS9 fans, but I think anyone can read it and realize if you had more than 1 life to live the decisions and mistakes you would make.

From the First Bite: A Complete Guide to Recovery From Food Addiction by Kaye Sheppard-3.5 Dump the food plan and you have an excellent guide for expectations of the ups and downs of a 12 Step program for recovery from any Eating Disorder.

Kingdom Come by MarK Waid- 4 Ever wonders what happens to Superheroes like Superman and Wonder Woman when the world changes? A definitive view of the DC Character growth.

I could go on but I got to save more for later. You can check out some of my books at http://www.bookcrossing.com/mybookshelf/rochemist

Miss Chris
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:14 AM   #7  
The Princess O' Pets

Well I guess if you see a book that might tickle your fancy listed, just say you are reading it and whoever else has read it can discuss it, or then if more people want to discuss it then we can all read it.
We can get more organized about it as we go along.
Old 02-11-2004, 10:24 AM   #8  

Default The Red Tent

Just finished reading The Red Tent. It has been a long time since I enjoyed a book that much.

Not sure I could put it into words but I know that Star also read this book and she said that she loved it also.
jane8760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:21 PM   #9  
Head Princess

I did read it and it was wonderful!

Some other favorites of mine:

The Alienist by Caleb Carr - murder mystery type book. Reminds me a little of Sherlock Holmes

Jemima J by Jane Green - Story of a woman struggling with her weight and learning about true beauty.

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb - another story of a woman and her weight. This one focuses a lot more on the messed-up-ness of the main character's life and how she has to overcome it.

Notes From an Unfinished Revolution by Merideth Maran - non-fiction by a bi-sexual feminist about where women were, what the advent of feminism was all about and finding a happy medium between two extremes.

The Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love by Jill Connor Browne - This is a must have! Real Southern Belle humor and realism. Including such life altering knowledge as:

* The True Magic Words Guaranteed to Get Any Man to Do Your Bidding
* The Five Men You Must Have in Your Life at All Times
* Men Who May Need Killing, Quite Frankly
* What to Eat When Tragedy Strikes, or Just for Entertainment
* The Best Advice Ever Given in the Entire History of the World
StarPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2004, 02:04 PM   #10  
Total Sass Bucket

OMG Star I LOVE the Sweet Potato Queen's Book of Love, I so want to be one of them! They're my sort of people. The recipes in the back of the book (tried them before Atkins) are pretty decent too.

My recommendation is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. This book moved me and haunted me. When I find someone else who has read it we talk to each other about it very very quickly for about 5 minutes and then sit back with a goofy smile on our faces..... it's like brain sex.
Shimma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 04:44 PM   #11  
Head Princess

Princess: you know who you are - is it any surprise I had to read this one? Very funny book about self-empowerment through a sense of entitlement and how it not only benefits you, but everyone around you. Fun, easy read.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:24 AM   #12  
The Princess O' Pets

OH I just read a really good book. I couldn't put it down.

The Lovely Bones By Alice Siebold

About a 13 yr old girl that gets murdered and then she watches from heaven how her community and her family deal with and finally overcome her death, she also watches the killer and meets the other girls he has murdered. Very good read!!!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:52 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 598/270/240

Height: 6'3

I just read Eaters of the dead by Michael Crichton.It was real good I also read To Kill a Mockingbird and oldie but a goodie
herb1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:31 AM   #14  
Head Princess

Body Outlaws - very good compilation of essays on body image.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:38 PM   #15  
The Princess O' Pets

good book!!! Billy Letts "The Honk and Holler Opening Soon" just a feel good story, easy to read and as usual Billy has really fun characters!!