Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:17 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Default Eating just twice a day

Since I workout early in the morning before work, I'm thinking of splitting my calories for the day between two meals. One right after I workout and before I get to work, and the other right after work when I get home. I'm just curious if anyone else eats just twice a day, and how it works for them.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

I would go crazy. I eat almost constantly throughout the day (10 AM, 12-1, 3-4, 6-7, 9), but the main reason for that is that I quickly lose control of myself if I go hungry for any significant period.

For one thing, I get "hangry" and have awful mood swings if I go more than 4 hours without eating. I also tend to make poor food choices if I'm very hungry - eating larger portions and more likely to choose rich, fatty and carby foods.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #3  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I've done it, but personally do better with an eating window and grazing as needed through it, instead of spreading out my calories. It's worse since I'm nursing, I can go longer between meals with no deleterious effect otherwise.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #4  
F - Yeah, I'm doing this.

S/C/G: 297/*Ticker*/175

Height: 5'10"

Sounds like "intermittent fasting" there are a few threads around here based on that eating style, have a look and you'll probably find some like-minded folks there!
Silverfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #5  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I think that can work. The less I interface with food the better, as long as I get enough calories at the other two meals. Breakfast for me is often just coffee and a small piece of fruit, and sometimes just coffee. Then I spend all my day's calories on lunch and dinner.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

I skip breakfast almost every day. Lunch is my main meal of the day followed by a much smaller dinner. I quite often I will eat an apple or raw veggie as a snack either in the afternoon or early evening. For the most part I would classify myself as a twice a day eater. This seems to work well for me. I seldom get hungry. I am a little strange because when hunger does strike me it usually happens shortly after eating and almost never before.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:54 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Snark View Post
I think that can work. The less I interface with food the better, as long as I get enough calories at the other two meals. Breakfast for me is often just coffee and a small piece of fruit, and sometimes just coffee. Then I spend all my day's calories on lunch and dinner.
When I eat throughout the day I have this "grazing" mentality where I'm constantly thinking about what I can possibly have, so I think about food all day and how/when I'm going to slice up my remaining calories. If I get on a more structured daily eating plan like this one, I can just ignore my cravings since I know I don't eat until X:00. I'm going to give it a shot for a day or two and see what I think.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/197/150

Height: 5'7"

I go nuts if I get too hungry..in fact everyone at home laughs about it and will hand me an apple if they see it coming. I get super angry, its a little weird maybe. I try to eat every 4 hrs, even if its just a piece of fruit or something. I also make bad food choices when I get to that crazy hungry monster stage. I know other people who eat once or twice a day just fine. Id try it and see how it goes though since it seems like it would be convenient with your schedule. Good luck!

Dori
doriluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #9  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

When I started dieting I tried the 5-6 times a day thing and I was always hungry.

For the last three years I've eaten twice a day, some times with a snack but usually not.

Bigger meals make me more full and I think about food far less.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

There is no right or wrong. If it works for you, fine.

I could not do that, but, we're all different.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:18 PM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

Yes you can do it. I wonder how many hours there are between the meals though.

I have done it on a buddhist monastery for a month on one occasion and twice on a 10 day retreat. But it will require a fair of self discipline.

In real life, if you find you get really hungry between your meals, eat two or three pieces of fruit all at once. This is close to what we did during the 10 day retreat.

Here's what i would eat... Bear in mind that i was sitting for a fair bit of the day but i also walked quite a bit along the tracks between sessions. I can tell you i didn't get hungry and i was losing weight. I felt great.

it was a while ago but this is how i remember what i ate

Breakfast was porridge with stewed prunes, full cream milk, no sugar. I personally didn't eat any toast or jams peanut butter or things like that. but you want to have a decent sized breakfast. I would have tea with milk since we didn't have coffee available. Sometimes i would have a small serve of yoghurt as well. Sometimes i might have some fresh fruit instead of prunes.

Lunch was a very big diverse nutritious healthy meal. It came with dessert which i avoided the first time and opted for the second time. But on the monastery we always had a lot of desserts so i would sample all of them. With just one modest dessert, you can still lose weight doing this.

Lunch at the retreat centre would include salad, a bit of fruit, all vegetarian hot food with lots of veggies and pasta/rice/potatoes. Seeds were often included or available on the sides to sprinkle over the dishes. So eat to be comfortable and healthy but don't stuff yourself stupid. And if you have dessert, just have one very small portion, otherwise you might find yourself, as i did eating more and more sweets every day.

If you ever want to experience this in a setting like i did, go to a vipassana meditation centre for a retreat. They are all over the world.

our lunchtime meal was eaten before midday. For first timers you get three pieces of fruit at 5pm but "old hands" had nothing but ginger and lemon tea of an evening. They could put honey in it but i made do honey.

I generally found i didn't suffer much from hunger. The little bit of hunger i had was quite easily managed. I think this is because my calorie restriction was not severe. The more calorie restriction you opt for, the harder it will be to avoid hunger. Drink water. Even a cup of coffee with milk can give you just enough calories to carry you through without causing much temptation.

Also yes, join the intermittent fasting support thread.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

No way I can do this, but my H does this with great success. I wonder if it is much easier for men? Maybe a throwback to the days of being out on the hunt Intermittent fasting sounds like it would work great for you.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/130

Height: 5'1.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
No way I can do this, but my H does this with great success. I wonder if it is much easier for men? Maybe a throwback to the days of being out on the hunt Intermittent fasting sounds like it would work great for you.
There is talk about intermittent fasting being tough for women online somewhere, I've seen reference to it... But I am a woman and I absolutely love to eat just once a day. I would guess that in the last year I did that 85% of the time. I eat when I'm hungry, and I don't get hungry often when I'm eating this way. I also find that if I eat early in the day, all I want to do is eat all day, like I have primed the pump. But if I don't eat my meal until around 6 or 7 pm, I usually don't want to eat again after that. And more and more often I will forget to think about what's for dinner until its actually dinner time, like it hasn't crossed my mind all day.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

If it works for you, you should definitely do it! I remembering watching an interview with a centenarian who was over 110 years old and he swore that the secret to his success was eating only two meals a day. He had been doing it for over 30 years. Of course, all centenarians have their own reasons for the success of their longevity, but for some reason, this guy's story stuck with me. He was so adamant...or maybe he was just a cute cranky old coot, lol!

Last edited by Jacqui_D; 01-11-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I've lost weight with several different approaches, including eating several times each day and eating just on every other day. Currently, I am using a daily eating window and it seems to be working well for me.

So, basically, try it and if that works for you, go for it! Despite the usual advice to eat six times a day, you should choose the eating schedule that works best for you.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote