Old 01-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #1  
Started IP 9-2-12

S/C/G: 224/221.8/199 first goal

Height: 5'3"

Default nyquil? sugar free cough drops?

Ok well today is my first week weigh in and I have followed the plan to a t! I have been suffering with a cold for about 2 weeks and it should almost be over but last night I had a horrible coughing fit. I took nyquil and sucked on a sugar free cough drop! Will this have any negative effects on the scale? This morning I feel grosse and swollen almost like after eating a really salty meal.
dixonschubbymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:54 AM   #2  
Started IP 04/22/2013

S/C/G: 257/130/150

Height: 5"1 1/2' (almost)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonschubbymommy View Post
Ok well today is my first week weigh in and I have followed the plan to a t! I have been suffering with a cold for about 2 weeks and it should almost be over but last night I had a horrible coughing fit. I took nyquil and sucked on a sugar free cough drop! Will this have any negative effects on the scale? This morning I feel grosse and swollen almost like after eating a really salty meal.
Did you take the liquid nyquil or the pill forms? The liquid has a ton of alcohol and sugar in it and that could upset your system.

Being sick can show up temporarily on your scale since your body is trying to heal itself. Don't get discouraged if you don't show a loss or even a gain this week, any kind of inflammation can cause you to retain water. Just be nice to yourself while you get healthy - that's the most important thing!
Ruth Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #3  

Location: Frederick Colorado (about 20 miles north of Denver)

S/C/G: 265/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I'm suffering from a cold right now too, and I had the same concerns about cough drops (I cannot take nyquil). I think the sugar free cough drops have a lot of sucralose in them which can add up quickly. So, I am just drinking lots of liquids and hot herbal tea. Fortunately the cold I have isn't too bad (at least not yet)

I would echo Ruth Ann's concerns about the Nyquil - it has a lot of sugar and alcohol in it. However, that needs to be balanced with how bad you are feeling and the need for sleep.

Feel better.
ColoradoCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #4  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
The point for many of us is to lose weight to be healthier - In my opinion, health is the goal, when you are sick (not healthy) the goal remains to get healthier. If that mean using products that aren't on the IP list, so be it. Use the products, get better, get back on track. I hope you feel better soon!
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 313/165

Height: 5'7

I agree with what Clbott said. I would not count cold medicine in any diet. We do not ingest cold medicine as part of our regular diets. It's only taken when we're sick. You probably felt "gross and swollen" because you're sick, not because of the dose of medicine you took. Nyquil has a hefty sleep aid in it. It makes me feel groggy and heavy whenever I take it.
Silver Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:42 AM   #6  
Started IP Sept. 24, 2013

S/C/G: 378/315/190

Height: 5'6"

I had a terrible cold with a major cough for almost two weeks. I lived on Halls sugar free cough drops constantly and I still had continued good weight losses. (Probably from all the coughing exercise).
64peppergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbott View Post
The point for many of us is to lose weight to be healthier - In my opinion, health is the goal, when you are sick (not healthy) the goal remains to get healthier. If that mean using products that aren't on the IP list, so be it. Use the products, get better, get back on track. I hope you feel better soon!
Use the products but ask for ones created for diabetics. They will have the least impact on our diet

And don't forget about gargling with salt water. It really helps! Along with the herbal tea already suggested

I've had a bad cough all week. I simmer chopped ginger root in water. When I pour into a cup, I add a half lemon. Might this put me "over" a bit? Maybe. But IP is designed for when we are healthy. Sticking to plan and getting well are my combined priorities until I quit coughing up a lung.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 237/158/175

Height: 5'7

Have had the cold/flu for a week. Actually missed 3 days of school. Just do not seem to be rebounding from it. Have been taking cold med. caplets for people with high blood pressure. My bp is good now, but decongestants cause it to spike. Used the Neti pot with a saline rinse, drinking tons of water. Eating my food, but my appetite is non existent.(made chicken ginger soup) I still have a constant headache, congestion and fatigue. Need to go to school tomorrow, then I am expecting another weekend in pjs.

Hope that all of you feel better-soon!
Slipfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 AM   #9  
Started IP 9-2-12

Thanks everyone my scale was down 6.2 pounds so I guess it didn't make that much of an impact. I went to was greens as soon as I left and got the my quilt capsules just in case I have the same problem tonight.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #10  
Started IP 9-2-12

I have some potato puffs in the oven! Anxious to see how those turn out!
Old 01-09-2014, 11:58 AM   #11  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

I do not sleep well in ketosis and after 3-4 nights of waking up in the middle of the night and being awake for 1-2 hours only to fall back asleep just before the 5am alarm….I take a half a serving of Nyquil to help me sleep. I have been at this program for 40 months. The Nyquil does not affect my ketosis.

Only been at it five days this reboot…last night was rough…up a 2:53…last look at the clock was around 4am…up for good at 5am…I think I will pick up some ZZZquil or Nyquil this weekend.
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
I do not sleep well in ketosis and after 3-4 nights of waking up in the middle of the night and being awake for 1-2 hours only to fall back asleep just before the 5am alarm….I take a half a serving of Nyquil to help me sleep. I have been at this program for 40 months. The Nyquil does not affect my ketosis.

Only been at it five days this reboot…last night was rough…up a 2:53…last look at the clock was around 4am…up for good at 5am…I think I will pick up some ZZZquil or Nyquil this weekend.
Have you tried Benadryl or Tylenol PM?

Last edited by lisa32989; 01-09-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM   #13  
maintenance since 2/16/11

S/C/G: size 18 to 8...75 pounds gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Have you tried Benadryl or Tylenol PM?
No, how is the next morning? I know with the zzzquil (half dose) I wake up feeling fine….but haven't taken it since last spring. Always been a side effect of ketosis for me (sleep issues).
darbs7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbs7 View Post
No, how is the next morning? I know with the zzzquil (half dose) I wake up feeling fine….but haven't taken it since last spring. Always been a side effect of ketosis for me (sleep issues).
I've always used Benadryl. Wake up fine
I have coworkers who use Tylenol pm
Old 01-09-2014, 12:56 PM   #15  
IP Start Date 8.15.13

S/C/G: 346/started IP @ 311/266/169

Height: 5'9"

I don't know if it's new but it's new to me - just had to say Great Picture Lisa!
(Sorry for the hijack)
clbott is offline   Reply With Quote