View Single Post
Old 01-06-2014, 03:56 PM   #11
Munchy

S/C/G: 129/130.4/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky Quilts View Post
So, what's a college student to do? My 2c, plan, and do some combination of a all-week prep day, or make intentional leftovers and pack them in individual containers right away. The end goal is to have grab-and-go food for during the week, to make it easy to pick healthy and measured portions. Freezing leftovers is a great option: I will take mine to work and by the time lunch rolls around it is defrosted enough to microwave quickly. Additional bonus to freezing is if you don't want to eat the same meal 4 times in a week, it stays in the freezer easily for next week.
Absolutely! For over five years I've been batch cooking and freezing individual portions and it's been my savior. There is never a "what am I going to eat" moment because I have so many options readily available to me.

However, if you're gone from 9am-9pm, do you have access to a microwave or refrigerator? Something like salad, a wrap/sandwich, chicken/tuna salad would work in a cooler, but I would be tired of cold meals 2-3 times a day. If you don't have access to a microwave, a thermos could easily keep a one pot meal soup/chili/stew hot for at least the first meal.

This is my ideas on what to pack at night or early in the morning:
-an easy breakfast sandwich
-A one dish lunch meal of something hot in a thermos (again, you can cook one big pot on the weekend, portion and freeze to heat up that morning)
-1 or 2 snacks: nuts, jerky, fruit, hard boiled egg, veggies with hummus/dip
-some kind of cold meal like a salad or wrap
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote