Old 01-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #1  
More food, less me!

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Where's all my tall gals?!

I'm an easy 5'8.?" And a nice two bucks and thirty? (ish, we don't have a scale. Lol) and when I blurt out my weight, a. Nobody believes me and b.they say "don't worry, you have a big frame and it hides it well"

Frankly. I just wish they'd be supportive of my efforts. It's HARD to see a difference, I think, physically, when you're bigger, because five pounds over such a large area, is BARELY visible, if at all!

Who else out there has this same problem / blessing in disguise / whatever. Haha

And how do I overcome the setbacks of not seeing my hard work pay off? :/
whollyhick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:30 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 269/233/169

Height: 5'6"

I understand where you're coming from!
I'm not super tall (5'6"), but i'm compact for my weight. It took 30lbs for my family (who I see regularly) to notice my weight loss. At the doctors, they often question me.

It's "nice" to know that I don't 'look' as heavy, but it's harder to get support/recognition. For me, I rely on the scale to give me the hard numbers of my weight loss. I like the numbers telling me that I'm on the right track, even when it's harder to distinguish on my physical body.
blueazalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Height: 5'10

I'm 5'10" and no one has ever noticed my weight losses until I hit about the 25 lb loss mark (even then it was barely a ripple "Are you losing weight???) then when I hit about 40 lbs everyone was fawning over me! LOL it was funny because I had actively walked at work (we have a walking area) and everyone knew I was eating right and suddenly they asked me what I had been doing to lose???

On the positive side no one ever believed me when I gave them my actual weight. When I was at about 250 most of my friends guessed me at under 200. Course maybe they were just being nice! I love being tall!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #4  

The weight does spread quite nicely and I'm quite grateful for my height. However, it did leave me a tad traumatized when I got horrified looks from other teenage girls (who were shorter than me) when I told them my (then perfectly normal) weight. So I always felt like an awkward giant who wasn't feminine enough. Kind of like this (the picture was too large, so decided not to attach it in the post). I'm over it now though and will happily tower over others in heels :-)

I do notice the difference though, mostly because it's always first visible in my waistline. So all of a sudden I look proportionally much slimmer, even when there's still plenty of work to be done. Then it can be difficult to justify what you're doing. But I want to be leaner and have a perkier butt! I don't care what others want me to be. That's what I want! :-)
SparklyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/190/175

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklyBunny View Post
The weight does spread quite nicely and I'm quite grateful for my height. However, it did leave me a tad traumatized when I got horrified looks from other teenage girls (who were shorter than me) when I told them my (then perfectly normal) weight. So I always felt like an awkward giant who wasn't feminine enough. Kind of like this (the picture was too large, so decided not to attach it in the post). I'm over it now though and will happily tower over others in heels :-)

I do notice the difference though, mostly because it's always first visible in my waistline. So all of a sudden I look proportionally much slimmer, even when there's still plenty of work to be done. Then it can be difficult to justify what you're doing. But I want to be leaner and have a perkier butt! I don't care what others want me to be. That's what I want! :-)
Yes to all of this! A lot of my friends are shorter (don't ask me why??) so when they discuss weights I often hear things like "I gained so much weight and am up to 120!" OMG I about fall over wondering what they'd think if they knew I was almost 200 lbs! LOL! I always feel like the largest one in the group. I've set a goal of 170-175 which puts me in about a size 10/12. Honestly I'm so happy in this size! I can't wait to get back to it. LOL maybe my shorter friends will be able to loan me their "fat" clothes for my "skinny" goal! Ha ha ha!
vealcalf2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #6  
More food, less me!

Smile

It's so nice to know you're not alone somedays! Haha, but I totally agree with all of this. Right now I'm hovering int the 235-240 zone if I had to guess, and it's ridiculous when my uncles at family gatherings are like "yeah man, I weigh 215 now! It's bad!" It's a silent shot to the confidence. And yeah, you don't necessarily SEE it, especially with family, at least in mine, it seems to take them a lot to notice any work because they already like you for your personality, and they're not going to be judging you, ya know? But that makes it even harder. I WANT recognition from my family. They're really the opinions that matter to me. Them and my husband. (Which, as nice as it is that he married me as is, he deserves a knockout wife, not, this... Blah)

Anyhow! That's why I threw my body a complete 180 and went vegetarian! I'm five days strong and really happy so far! I can eat soooo much and be way under my daily calorie goals on MFP! (Add me! Jakeysmrs) and the hubs gave me a treadmill allowance too! So another goal is 60 pounds gone by my birthday, and run a half marathon before fall! I realize they're kindof huge goals, but you know what? I'm ready to go big (ahem, small...er (; lol) or go home! so the more we can stay in touch and be(come) the long, lean, and proud! Haha, I'd appreciate it sooo much!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #7  
Raluca xx

Height: 5'9"

Pheww ! So nice hearing people having the same problem haha .. in a way .
Iīm 5ī9 and weighed 205.4 lbs this morning (in recent news hahaha). My friends, family, people who see me on a daily and weekly basis donīt ever notice my weight dropping off. The most I lost was 23 pounds .. ish, whatīs on my ticker hehe, but when I tell people Iīve been losing weight they think itīs a 5-ish, 10 at most. That is mainly because people say I already look like 185-190 or so and Iīm ! Iīm pretty tall and over the years Iīve learnt to hide it well, but cīmon ..
I think working hard on my fitness can make the difference I am looking for. I havenīt worked out for the past 5 months so I need to start at a more moderate rate. Iīve done p90 in the past, but couldnīt do it more than 1 month, the guy was pissing me off, awful dude. I want to start doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. I canīt wait to start it. Tomorrow!
Good luck to everyone of you ! XO
ralucax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:29 PM   #8  
More food, less me!

^^^ I understand 100% haha
And on a side note, I LOVE Jillian! I do her 30 day shred, yoga meltdown, and 6 week six pack is my fave! Check that one out! Maybe I should do it more often or something and get that recognition, that'd probably help my motivation factor!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 PM   #9  
More food, less me!

Oh! And blueazalea! (Idk how to tag people to get their attention :/) you're from New England! So you'd understand I'm trapped inside and have the sNOw-workout, stuck-on-videos blues! Haha. Here in PA it's not outdoor-friendly workouts for the time being, unless you're sled riding!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:49 AM   #10  
Katherine

S/C/G: 283/280/172

I'm 5'10 and right now weigh 263. I mentioned to my best friend who is somewhere around 5'3 and 115 lbs that I made a goal of losing about 100 lbs from my starting point of 272. She freaked out a little and said "do you want to disappear?!" she was flabbergasted to find out that I am about 100 lbs over a normal weight, and that I had gained 60 lbs in the last year and a half. She was just shocked. She said that I hide carry it very we'll and that she had no idea. She did however notice when I had lost a few pounds. I was happy with my appearance at 200 lbs. if I can get back down to that, I would be ecstatic.
kailpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:32 PM   #11  
More food, less me!

I know that feeling too! A really close friend of mine is like 12? Pounds of pure fitness and muscle. She's been a runner since middle school and is currently training for a fitness competition! I would love to do that some day! Tall lean girls look the BEST I think. And I realized a couple days ago my goals may or may not be logical... Depending on my frame size under this chub I could have to lose more, really. My brothers girlfriend is my height, maybe her build is a LITTLE bit smaller, but she's under 140, which is almost disheartening, knowing I'll probably have to lose 100 pounds to get to my ultimate goal. Aesthetically, that is. But! I'm up for the challenge! I want this sooo much, my husband wants to take his first good vacation (since his job finally allows for the time and funds for it! Woohoo!) to the beach, either in the keys, or Puerto Rico. Maybe Hawaii?! it's going to be like our late late honeymoon, and I cannot WAIT I've never been to a beach that wasn't connected to a lake, and I'm thrilled to be sharing this experience with him, BUT I want to be kindof confident at the beach! I want to show a little skin, and dress in cute flowy sun dresses! So, here I am! Also, another close friends wedding is in May, so. I need to be able to fit into my bridesmaid dress (which is an easy 3 sizes smaller than what I would wear now! O.o) so having the motivation of you girls, knowing were on the same page, knowing were having the same height/weight struggles. And that were going to get though them TOGETHER is absolutely heartwarming! can't wait for 20 days when I can private message and have my ticker showing! Lol
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

I remember telling my best friend at my highest weight (this was in high school) that I weighed over 200lbs and she was shocked. I'm kind of tall and have always been athletic so I have a lot of muscle as well.

While most of the time I like my height, I do get annoyed when I hear people telling you to go by how your clothes feel and not the scale…Do you know how freaking long it takes me to see a difference in my clothes? I have to lose like 15-20lbs to drop a size or gain a size - if I went by how my clothes felt I'd never get anywhere!
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:42 PM   #13  
Raluca xx

Height: 5'9"

Just did my first jillian michaels 30 day shred
pretty intense
gonna keep it going
ralucax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:25 AM   #14  

I'm 6'2 and weight 300 now. My highest I've ever been. It's hard being tall and over weight. When I lost weight the first time, my highest was 273. No one really noticed until I had dropped a good 30 lbs. I still felt fat at my lowest which was 230. Oh how I'd give anything to be 230 again. I work 12 hour night shifts so losing weight is mostly going to be by diet. Good news though about being tall, I find we go through sizes of clothes less dramatically. Pants for me don't typically change for 15 or so pounds.
Tereyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #15  
"Evolution Required"

S/C/G: 250/Ticker/150

Height: 5'8

I relate to everyone on this thread. I am 5'8 and very rarely had any girlfriends taller than me (I can count those times on one hand), so I know what it is like comparing yourself to peers. I have also tried to have people guess my weight to only have them looking at me in shock when I tell them, and they are like, "You are lying".
I lost 20 pounds recently, and asked my brother--who is really into fitness--can he see any changes, and he looked me up and down and he was like "no". So I am glad to hear some others experience weight loss as well and not get the kind of appreciation you want. Dammit, yes I'm tall, I'm lookin' good, ACKNOWLEDGE ME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralucax View Post
Just did my first jillian michaels 30 day shred
pretty intense
gonna keep it going
Are you still going? I am now on day 3/30, lol, a long way to go...
MarliQQ is offline   Reply With Quote