Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #1  
Plodding Along

S/C/G: 182/-/126

Height: 5'3"

Question Tips to Reduce Boredom Snacking?

As it says in the above, does anyone have any tips to reduce boredom snacking? Personally, I either eat everything in the cupboard or chew my fingernails - neither is good.

What do you guys do? Go for a walk? Brush teeth? Actually go and DO something?

(Added comment: I've been sitting down a lot recently revising, which is when I tend to boredom eat the most).

I look forward to your answers so I can try them!

FrancesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 12:55 PM   #2  

Ooh, tough one! Yes, get active in something else. Not even necessarily physically active. How about losing yourself in a great book or an amazing movie?

Sounds trite and cliche but if it's boredom that's causing it...then get un-bored! I know it's easier said than done but it really is the bottom line.
melkhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:06 PM   #3  
Plodding Along

This is true. & thanks for the advice about books and films! I actually love reading so perhaps I'll start to finish one of the many novels I have started.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Crafts are a good idea too. Knitting, crocheting, cross stitch, jewelry making.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:06 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 195/185/140

I either make myself a coffee/tea (no sugar) or look for some housework to do. Clutter ALWAYS comes crawling in this house--so if I can challenge myself put so many things away or run downstairs to flip the laundry... it helps me kill time until my next meal.

Boy, that's not a very exciting answer...
veggiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:17 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/124.5/135

Height: 5'7"

I like unsweetened tea. It has flavor, so it doesn't seem like you're just drinking water, but with no milk or sugar in it it's got 0 calories, and you can do caffeine free or flavored teas if you want to.

Green tea is also a diuretic, so it helps cleanse your body and flush out excess sodium.
underanalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

I plan all of my meals ahead of time so that there is no boredom snacking. I never have to worry about what I'm going to eat because I've already planned (and usually packed or cooked) ahead of time. I typically have tea in the morning, then eat my breakfast around 11:00, lunch around 1:30, snack around 4:00, dinner around 6:00 and that's it for the day.

I have no idea how anyone can just "wing it" all day and have their dietary budget work out!
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/275/155

Height: 5.6

What are some of your interests? Think for a moment what you would enjoy doing, and if you can't find something look at how others are spending time.

Look up a new hobby or start reading interesting things online
llove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #9  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I drink beer....seriously.

But if it's the middle of the day, I drink tea.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:21 PM   #10  
Plodding Along

Tea sounds like the most popular answer, so I'll make sure to stock up on more green and just have a cuppa whenever I fancy food. Is there a limit as to how much you should drink of it?

And jewellery making sounds interesting! I shall be Googling tips on how to make stuff

Thanks again everyone, really appreciated x
Old 01-06-2014, 08:42 PM   #11  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

Tea is good, there are a bunch of flavors you can try, too. Stash has a great variety of flavors, if you watch the caffeine you should be ok.

I like to read on my kindle app, read 3fc and post, this has become something of a hobby and since I'm using a touch screen I can't snack, lol.

Crafts are great, too, little cross stitch projects, anything you don't want to get cracker crumbs or peanut butter and jelly on...lol

We also don't keep unhealthy snacky things in the house, just sometimes on the weekend and like Chris Powell says, no leftover "cheat stuff". Sometimes I prowl around looking for something but I get over it and get in a few steps prowling around...
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 08:52 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/125.5/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Frances,

I used to also chew my fingernails...Did it for 47.75 years. I know you are concerned about losing weight and stopping the boredom snacking first. You've been given a few good ideas so far.

After I started losing weight and eating more protein, I stopped chewing my nails... Not sure exactly why or how, I think part of it was due to a better diet. Now I get a manicure every 2-3 weeks, depending on how they are holding up, I get shellac so they last longer than regular polish.

Best of luck!
MarleneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:30 AM   #13  
Mummy-tummy battler

S/C/G: 132ish(290+)/~ticker~/75(165)

Height: 164(5'4")

I often come here when I feel that urge. But its hard when you're bored and doing something that you have to do. For example when I grade papers I tend to always want to eat, treats to get through the boredom -LOL-
jitterfish is offline   Reply With Quote