Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #1  
I will do this.

Default My head is spinning.

Hi

My name is Taylor and I have been on and off here for a few years. My biggest loss was about 3 years ago when I lost 70 pounds.

I lost my weight by crazy 90min - 2hr workouts and hiking unbelievable amounts. Also restricting calories.

There are somethings I did right - and something I did wrong. But I gained it all back and then some.

Fast forward to my life now and I am almost afraid of food. Its kind of silly really but I want so desperately to lose weight I have researched just about everything.

Don't eat wheat - its bad for you
Don't eat milk/dairy - unless you're younger than 2
If you do eat meat - it needs to be organic and grass fed
Don't eat meat - it will sit and rot in your gut
Don't eat carbs - it will make you fat
Don't eat fruit - it has sugar
Don't eat sugar - it will also make you fat
Cheese - also bad
Pork - Bad
Chicken skin - bad
Vegetables - only if they are organic and sung to while they are growing
Gluten = nope don't eat that either. You're allergic and don't know it
Nuts - maybe not too many
Don't restrict calories - listen to yourself
Don't trust yourself - restrict calories
Exercise - yoga is fine but only if don't want to lose weight, walking the dog isn't cardio so you need to run. But don't run too much - thats bad. Lifting weights will only make you gain

Can someone please help me out there? I should know better than this. I am a very smart girl who really does know how to eat but it seems I am so overwhelmed with the "diet industry"

I feel like I have "dieted" my way up to the weight that I am.

I really want to 2014 to be the year I actually get my **** together. Plus I am getting married in October and I want to feel awesome. (Yes, and look great picking out a dress too. But I want to feel strong and in control.)

Am I just going crazy? Anyone else feel the same way?
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 238/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

Wow. I think what you need is to keep it simple. There is definitely a lot of conflicting info out there. You are only going to know what work for YOUR body by trial and error and basic common sense. I personally believe a lot of the bogus info in the diet industry is put there to scare us. If I were you I'd make a plan, one that's simply and the easiest for you to stick to but is something that has a proven track record of getting results (like calorie counting) and do it for several weeks while monitoring your result. Weigh yourself, take measurements, track your energy levels. If you like what you're seeing stick to it. If not, try a different approach.

And yes, do workout. Know your limits obviously, but being active will accelerate your results. Strength training WILL NOT make you bulk up.
rbphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 96/83.2/75

Height: 5'7"/170cm

You should never think that a certain food is bad for you or off limits to you unless your body has a certain intolerance for it. And you may have one, but you really won't know unless you're tested or have terrible reactions to said food. The biggest thing is making sure you are eating everything in moderation.

For me, I have eaten everything on your list except for nuts and chicken skin (hate them). I have also eaten a ton of ice cream, milk chocolate (can't stand the healthy dark stuff), pizza, beer, wine and a ton of other things that most people wouldn't think is 'diet' food. And I have lost almost 50 pounds doing it. How? That whole moderation thing. Instead of having a double scoop of ice cream I'll have a single, 1 serving of chocolate instead of the bar, etc.

This has allowed me to stay on track and not feel deprived or want to binge.

The biggest thing for me that worked this time after over a decade of dieting is realizing it's not a diet but a lifestyle change. These are things that I have to do constantly or the weight it going to come back on.

Good luck and congratulations on your engagement. Mine is what finally made me realize I need to become healthier for me and for my fiance and our future life together.

Last edited by Changergirl; 01-05-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Changergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #4  
I will do this.

Change You're right. I know you're right. As far as I know I do not have any allergies to anything. The diet industry really is a scary monster. Reading up on all of these things it can get so overwhelming.

I know that I need to be able to have a small scoop of ice cream or glass of wine with my fiancé (Congrats to you too!)

This is just a lesson in balance, patience and love. And making to the gym

I want a lifestyle change. And moderation. And bread. And chocolate. And a smaller waist size. I just have to believe its possible.

You're weight loss is inspiring. And while my post is kinda of tongue and cheek there is some truth to how insane the diet industry is.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:28 PM   #5  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

You missed one:

Don't eat seafood: you'll get mercury poisoning.

But I do eat seafood but the smaller fish lower down the food chain where the mercury content is lower.

So here are some responses to your suggestions:

Don't eat wheat - its bad for you. Well, the carbs may not help.
Don't eat milk/dairy - unless you're younger than 2. BS. Low fat/non-fat milk is great and a good source of protein. Eggs are fantastic. Cheese, not good.
If you do eat meat - it needs to be organic and grass fed. Not necessarily organic but grass-fed might have omega 3s. Lean is what really matters.
Don't eat meat - it will sit and rot in your gut. Nope.
Don't eat carbs - it will make you fat. Not necessarily but they could limit weight loss.
Don't eat fruit - it has sugar. Berries are lowest in sugar. Blueberries are fab.
Don't eat sugar - it will also make you fat. Again, in moderation. A teaspoon of sugar only has 15 calories. And I do enjoy good honey, but only in moderation.
Cheese - also bad. Yep. Saturated fat.
Pork - Bad. Yep. You are what you eat.
Chicken skin - bad. Big deal. Just eat the meat. Lean protein.
Vegetables - only if they are organic and sung to while they are growing. BS. Any will do. I eat canned.
Gluten = nope don't eat that either. You're allergic and don't know it. Pass.
Nuts - maybe not too many. A few almonds are good for your heart.
Don't restrict calories - listen to yourself. I do.
Don't trust yourself - restrict calories. I don't.
Exercise - yoga is fine but only if don't want to lose weight, walking the dog isn't cardio so you need to run. But don't run too much - thats bad. Lifting weights will only make you gain. I run 6 miles a day and weight train every second day. Good running shoes help. As does a diet of fish. The joints seem well oiled.

Good luck. It' all about finding a customized solution that works for you!

It's good to keep a red line or two if that will break you. For example, I still drink (a lot) of beer and wine. To have given that up would have killed my journey long ago.

Last edited by IanG; 01-05-2014 at 07:32 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:30 PM   #6  
I will do this.

I like your response. Totally forgot about the seafood! Damn it, I love lobster.

I will probably still continue to eat cheese and bacon. I think its trans fats you have to watch out for.

I just wrote another thread. I think it is going to be about balance for me.

Last edited by Taylor86; 01-05-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #7  

From what I've seen around here, many diets work if you utilize the plan as a whole and stick with that particular plan's do's and don'ts. I think its harder when a new diet plan is created based on a giant conglomeration of all the diet plan "no's."

Moderation of all foods is another alternative that works for people, but moderation is relative to the individual and many people are doing just fine without moderation and just sticking strictly to a plan. =)
pixelllate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #8  
YOLO

S/C/G: 156/128-130/Fit(ter)

Height: 5'7"

What's up with the bad rep against cheese? I started eating full fat cheese for protein daily, up to 600 calories worth, and I lost weight. o_o

EDIT:
And for the record, fat is good for you. It's sugar that's the enemy. This is why a high carb load leads to weight gain. Protein and fat ftw.

Last edited by Please Do Not; 01-07-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Please Do Not is offline   Reply With Quote