Old 01-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

Default Eating Style, Your Opinions Please

I count Calories and my daily current goal is 1,650

For the last few days I have been eating differently. I usually skip breakfast although I had one carefully measured cup of Raisin Bran with 1/2 cup measured 2% milk this morning. Partly because my calorie count at 810 was way way too low yesterday. I was not hungry and did not want to eat more due to the high sodium level already consumed. (Heart Issues)

My lunches are pretty normal, usually meat, starch and vegetable. I try to limit my lunch, which by the way is our main meal of the day, to 600 calories or less.

Dinner is where I have been trying something different, Several years ago I read a diet book on Volumetrics. The basic Idea is if you eat a lower calorie dense food, you can eat more of it. I decided to try this by buying low calorie canned soup and adding no salt canned vegetables along with some spices often hot sauces. This gives me a lot of food that is very filling and is very low calorie. For example last night I had Progresso Light Chicken and Dumplings (the whole can) 160 calories. To this I added two cans of Del Monte - Canned Cut Green Beans No Salt Added (drained) 140 calories and Huy Fong - Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce, 1 tsp 5 calories. Cooked it and ate a large filling meal that contained only 305 calories yet it was packed with a lot of nutrition and volume.

The problem with this is the high sodium, My cardiologist says I am very sodium sensitive, I retain water like gangbusters with too much sodium and this is not good for my heart. Last night's dinner that I described above contained a whopping 1,550 mg of sodium, almost all was in the soup. I am going to start cooking my own low sodium soups to resolve this, however I don't want to waste the canned soups that I stocked up on. I am going to try dilution to reduce the sodium. Most soups are either Chicken, Beef or Vegetable broth based. Herb OX makes a sodium free instant broth and seasoning. Chicken and Beef flavors and possibly vegetable. I believe that by adding 2 cups of the Herb OX to the 2 cup soup can, then dividing it and freezing half prior to adding my vegetables I would cut the sodium in half. I may or may not have to add some low sodium spices to raise the flavor after dilution. I will find out as I experiment.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Hi Larry,
Lots of others will have better answers but maybe try doing fresh for 2 days and canned the way you described on the 3rd day. You will use up your supply eventually and give yourself a break in the kitchen every 3rd day. It also let's you get started now and ease your way into it.
Good Luck! Ubee
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:34 AM   #3  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Just a thought....you could use the canned soup as a base for adding fresh ingredients. You will then have "diluted" the high salt content without wasting your tinned soups. Good luck, I am calorie counting and find I tend to be under rather than over so I have to keep a record of what I eat in case I don't eat enough! Being too far under,although tempting for rapid weight loss, makes me lethargic after a few days.
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 353/340/299 (for now)

Height: 5'5"

Try adding frozen veggies to the can of soup instead of the canned ones.
Dreamgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote