Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 133/130/120

Question Please analyze my plan.

Hello everyone,

New member here Today is my day one of calorie counting. I lost 20 lb after birth of my second child 13 years ago by counting calories, but it was so long ago that I am not really sure what I did back then in terms of food selection.

I guess getting old not fun for us women, when it comes to weight management....
During last year I have gained 13 lb and all of this weigh is in my belly, which is very strange. I almost look pregnant. Increase in waist 10 cm!!!

I have created little plan for myself and would like your opinions as I can see so many of you ladies doing such a great job losing weight!

Breakfast: black coffee ( I never eat breakfast so I will keep it this way)
Lunch: multi grain toast with turkey or pita with tuna or sandwich with egg salad
Dinner: frozen meals with salad (I know it is not super healthy option, but I am working full time and really have no time in the evening to measure and count my dinner).
Goal for the day 1,200 cal.

I will stop having my 2 glasses of wine with dinner until I lose weight, right? Does wine affect weight a lot?
I am not a big fan of fruits, so I don't have a lot of it in my diet and fructose is not very healthy from what I understand, just like sugar.

I have gained weight with a lot of snacking after dinner (potato chips, nuts etc)...that must stop as well.

Any comments and suggestions?

Last edited by lookgood2014; 01-05-2014 at 09:28 AM.
lookgood2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #2  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Welcome.

I drink a lot and it does not affect my weight loss because it does not affect by food choices and judgement. I say keep the wine unless you see it having an adverse effect. Some people start snacking or eating junk after they have had a drink and if that is you then the wine may need to go. But, if not, you may find that wine helps you. Mentally, I needed to keep one thing I enjoyed so the beer/wine stayed. Else my diet would have been broken a long time ago.

In terms of suggestions, you could also try replacing your lunch toast/pita with a salad. I did better when I dropped the carbs like that. Or try low calorie bread as an intermediaate step. To avoid getting hungry I eat lots of lean protein like eggs, fish and chicken. Seafood is great if you like that. I do.

I also limit fruit because of the sugar (berries seem to be the best sugar-wise) and eat a lot of vegetables instead.

Yep, and cut the chips and nuts. They were the first to go with my diet.

If it all seems too much, just take small steps and see how it goes. That's what I did and small changes quickly added up into big ones.

Last edited by IanG; 01-05-2014 at 09:48 AM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #3  
diamondgeog

Sugar (table sugar) is 50% fructose 50% glucose. Fruits have fructose but they also have fiber and nutrients. I don't avoid them per se but don't have a lot. I do still have apples though.

You mentioned multigrain bread. I have turkey for lunch now without bread. Sometimes lettuce wrapped, sometimes by itself. Current research puts the glycemic index of whole wheat breads at or above white bread and both are higher than sucrose.

I was at my in laws over the holidays and they had sliced sourdough. Pretty thin slices also. 2 pieces had 39 grams of carbs. It was shocking.

I'd stay away from bagels and look at your dressings and even ketchup. I use olive oil and vinegar as dressings now. Some evidence olive oil helps absorb nutrients from the veggies.

In any case definitely google bread and glycemic index. I started my current roll on health and have never felt better cutting out breads and pasta. Your mileage may differ but it was awesome for me. It reduced my hunger in general and hunger for treats a lot. I think the bread was spiking my blood sugar.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 313/165

Height: 5'7

I can relate as far as your comments regarding breakfast. But I have read soooo much information about how important breakfast is. It is generally recommended to start your day with some protein. So what I usually do is just have a little light fat-free yogurt or a hard boiled egg. Otherwise, if your plan works for you then keep with it The wine should be okay, but maybe you could just have one glass instead of two? I can also relate to your use of frozen meals. I try to keep them to a bare minimum because they are full of sodium and carbs, but the convenience of them is hard to pass up.

As for fruit, my chiropractor (who is also a naturopathic doctor) said something that is profoundly simple but so true: "I've never seen anyone get fat from eating fruits and vegetables." Granted, fruits have sugar. But it's important to remember that natural sugar and processed sugar are two entirely different things. Fruits also have fiber, vitamins, minerals, etc. that are essential to our health. One of my favorite snacks is some fresh mango slices with raw almonds. Like with anything else, fruit consumption is about balance. Everything in moderation.
Silver Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:09 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Welcome.

I drink a lot and it does not affect my weight loss
I think this is different for everyone. A close family friend of mine drinks a considerable amount of wine and is overweight. Last spring she lost a lot of weight and had greatly reduced her wine consumption. Since she began drinking it more heavily again, she has gained the majority of her weight back despite maintaining her diet. Studies have shown that surprisingly small amounts of alcohol consumption actually counters the process of fat burning. Like with anything, I think it comes down to moderation and balance. Every once in a while, in the evenings, I have a small glass of red wine with a single square of dark chocolate as a dessert. Both of these have been shown to actually have health benefits. It's a great, I just don't do it every day.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

Thanks Silver Snow. I was very surprised how much I drink and have still been able to lose weight. I guess it could be genetic. But a key difference between me and my friends is that I do not drink and then go eat burgers and chips. Some people just lose control with their diet when they drink and I think that has a more important impact on their weight than the drink itself.

To be clear, I eat NOTHING when I drink. That is how strict I am.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 319/264/200

Height: 5' 6"

If you go back to calorie counting read below, if not then feel free to ignore it.
Whatever path you chose for weight loss I wish you the most success.

As far as the wine goes there are 124 calories in a 5 oz glass.

Once you set your daily calorie goal then you may spend your calories however you would like. If you would like a glass of wine each day, which is good for your heart, then set aside 124 cal from your daily allowance and enjoy. If we don't enjoy our food plan, we will not stick to it.
Larry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanG View Post
Thanks Silver Snow. I was very surprised how much I drink and have still been able to lose weight.
Similarly, I was able to lose 50 pounds and maintain the loss while drinking 1-2 glasses of wine practically every night. I don't believe there's anything inherently obesogenic in alcohol. It's the big picture that counts.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

At your height/weight, the issue is more body composition then weight.

133lbs at 5'4 can look amazing if you start busting your butt in the gym. You might even look better than 5'4 and 120
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 04:18 PM   #10  
Always FatGirlVSFitGirl

S/C/G: 206/180/155

Height: 5'3 1/2"

I love breakfast, but if you don't I don't think adding it in is necessary.

I eat quite a bit of fruit, but I like it, if you don't like it there's no need to force yourself to eat lots if it.

I enjoy a drink most nights, I tend towards higher calorie drinks, Irish cream, I measure and track the calories like everything else I consume. Some nights I just put some in a tall shot glass, I just like to have a taste, knowing the calorie content did make a difference in consumption.

We hardly eat bread anymore as some others mentioned, started out with sandwiches and wraps, now I start off with a container of spring mix and add protein of some kind to it, bread is more of an occasional treat. I like regular dressing, so I budget for that as well, recently I have tried some yogurt dressings and found them quite enjoyable, a couple I like are Bolthouse Farms salsa ranch, bleu cheese and olive oil vinaigrette.

I agree with everyone who is saying if you don't enjoy your plan you won't stick with it.

Your plan sounds like a good start, frozen dinners helped me eons ago when I was starting out to get a handle on portion sizes, the steamer vegetables can be a good addition to those if you find you're still hungry. Once you're on plan for awhile you will probably want more variety. I can't tell you whether your calorie goal is sufficient, I calorie count using a phone app, but generally eat almost all my exercise calories as well as the 1340 daily calories the app gives me. That's me.

We each have to find what works for us.

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by kelijpa; 01-05-2014 at 04:29 PM.
kelijpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 133/130/120

Very helpful advises and I love how non judgmental you guys are, thank you!!!

I think I get a message to try to low carb....is that right? Counting calories is like second job lol and through the responses I think a lot of you guys have very low carb diet, so I am thinking maybe I should give a try, without counting calories or carbs?

Maybe my menu should be like this:

Breakfast: black coffee
Lunch: salad with chicken or egg tuna mayo salad on lettuce or Cesar salad
Dinner: glass of red wine and steak/salmon /shrimp (I love sea food) with steamed /baked veggies...no snacks after dinner!!!!!

Sounds supper healthy! Opinions?

Last edited by lookgood2014; 01-05-2014 at 05:37 PM.
lookgood2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #12  
Trying to be in the 160s

Spot on!

(Just go easy on the mayo and choose a light variety.)

Last edited by IanG; 01-05-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #13  
diamondgeog

I think it is a good plan. And Ian has had awesome success. But I do want to point out 'light' anything usually substitutes carbs for fat. I don't personally don't use light varieties anymore. I think they are the worse option.

The full fat, I think, is ultimately the better choice and more filling. But I agree going easy is good advice no matter which choice.

Last edited by diamondgeog; 01-05-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:31 PM   #14  
banned

S/C/G: 80.2kg/66kg/60kg x2.2 for lb

Height: 165cm/5' 4.5"

I wouldn't change what you plan to do particularly. Just stopping the after dinner snacking will make a big difference.

In fact if you are hungry after dinner, eat another small meal of healthy low cal but filling things.

And i wouldn't give up the wine. There is calories in wine but i find it takes the edge of my appetite to have a glass of wine when i'm dieting.

Do something more engaging of an evening to avoid the tendency to snack. Or make yourself a rule of no eating after a certain time and try to go to bed earlier.

No doubt you may find yourself getting hungry in the mornings but then that would be a good time to start with a breakfast but as you say you don't want to eat breakfast. Or then you might just need a slightly bigger lunch.

Anyway. i think 1200 calories won't be enough for you given you are full-time working. Its better to be willing to increase your calorie intake a little bit and lose it more slowly than to quit because of too much hunger.
Pattience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgeog View Post
The full fat, I think, is ultimately the better choice and more filling. But I agree going easy is good advice no matter which choice.
I have also heard that using full fat versions are actually better. In fact, my mother's doctor recently told her this. She (my mom) has high blood pressure and was discussing this very matter with said doctor. I don't mean to sound so repetetive, but as I've said in other posts....it all boils down to portion sizes and moderation.