View Single Post
Old 01-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #9
dcapulet
The Divine Mrs. C

S/C/G: 270/184.0/165

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiffypop View Post
when do we stop acting out of self-loathing/hatred and start acting out of self-love? In general, we're far kinder and gentler with everyone other than ourselves. we would NEVER emotionally beat up a friend who ate a piece of cake as the first 'diet break' in a month. We wouldn't call that person a fat pig, or out of control, or all sorts of other hateful, judgemental names. Yet, we often do that to ourselves.

and WE LET OTHERS OUT THERE do this to us so that sometimes all we hear is 'you're a horrible failure, fatfatfat, worthless, shouldn't be allowed to work, or appear in public,' etc, etc, etc.

There's a huge difference between giving up and self-acceptance. And self-acceptance includes embracing both the great points of ourselves AND the areas in which we can improve.

just my two cents.
Jiffy, this is beautifully said. A professor once told me that when dealing with patients, know this: "No matter how 'good' or 'bad' someone is acting, they are doing the very best they can do for that moment." I've used that when I was inclined to be mean to myself about a mistake or slip up - it's helped me regard myself with more kindness, and helped me change my life.

Trying like crazy not to fit into my genes.
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote