Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 AM   #1  
I can do it!!!

S/C/G: 223/165/145

Height: 5'4"

Smile Ups & Downs Support Group: January 2014

Hello Everyone and to our support group, Ups & Downs! Happy you found us here! You can get to know our members in the previous thread, Ups & Downs Support Group: December 2013; or just jump right in here if you want to give and receive support in your weight loss journey. Everyone is welcome!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Here's to a happy and healthy 2014!
IBelieveInMe2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:19 AM   #2  
rockin' my 60s!

Location: from Houston, TX—now in Maryland (Washington DC area)

S/C/G: 351/267/140

Height: 5'3"

Greetings Kathleen and everyone else! Happy New Year!! Bob and I stayed up, as we always do, listening to a rock concert (live on satellite radio) and watching the ball drop in New York. It's a gorgeous day here in the DC area, so I'm trying to work up the gumption to go for a walk on the lake trail in a nearby park. I don't know if I'll be able to do it: as usual, I'm deep into a book. At least thinking about taking a walk is the first step toward making the new habit.

I recently ran across a tip, I think in was in Brooke Castillo's book, for how to get yourself to exercise. She says to pay attention to what you want rather than what you feel. That is, when you're thinking "I want to exercise because it will help me be in a better mood" at the same time you're thinking "I don't feel like exercising," you should value the first thought over the second one. There's no reason why the "I don't feel like it" has to win the argument. Hmmm.... I'll try that today.
Fiona W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:35 PM   #3  
mountain walker

S/C/G: 364/354/196

Height: 5ft7"

Does ups and downs mean Bipolar (which I am ) or up and down in the weight department....which I am too????
mountain walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 250/192/140

Height: 5' 6"

HI EVERYONE!
Thought I'd jump onto your thread. I'm aiming for a new year/new me (actually a better managed me).

I struggle with anxiety and SAD. Food has been my drug of choice. I've had a bad year in 2013 and want to make 2014 a better year.

I was laid off my job last year and was forced into an early retirement. My parents are both 92 and still in their home. My sister and I are struggling with helping them. Dad is stubborn, mom is becoming forgetful with short-term memory and my sister is frequently short-tempered and snippy.

I want to make 2014 a better year and manage my life better. It can really be a slippery slope in the Fall and Winter with anxiety and SAD.

Catch everyone later.
Munchey
munchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:51 PM   #5  
rockin' my 60s!

Nice to meet you, Munchey! I go by Fi (pronounced "fee"). I'm Bipolar. Sorry to hear about you bein' laid off: I had to retire early because of my bipolar disorder, and last year my husband got laid off & forced into early retirement. It seems like it's happening all over. I have an elderly mother who became so forgetful and confused this past year, my sister and I had to move her out of her house into a place where they take care of people with dementia. It was very stressful!

And nice to see you here, Donna (mountain walker). Ups & Downs means ups & downs of whatever kind, but especially mood: I think most of us here struggle with depression, of one variety or another.

Well I did it! I walked around the lake. It was a mile and a half altogether. With my short legs and bein' out of shape, it took me an hour to do it, but that was a full hour of brisk cardio. My injured knee was a little wonky at first, but it got better as I kept going. So nice to be out there on a trail through woods, with the bright sunlight making beautiful patterns on the surface of the water. I feel so lucky to live right near a park with a lake, but it's been a couple years since I've walked all the way around. I sure hope it will be a bit easier the next time! And it sure is good motivation to lose weight, because I have to work so hard to carry my bulk. I was working harder than anyone else out there today, even the people who were running. =laugh=

Last edited by Fiona W; 01-01-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #6  
Because I am.

S/C/G: 292/200/165

Height: 5' 7"

Default Happy New Year!

Happy New Year, to all of us. I'm happy to say I'm starting the first day of 2014 on an UP. Ten days of vacation from work has done wonders for me. I'm hoping to make this relaxed mood last well into the New Year.

My next weigh in with the doctor is Jan. 30. My goal is to lose more 10 pounds prior to that weight in. I've been inspired by a friend who is successfully completing the Brazen Fit 24 Day Ab Challenge to give it a go. Today was day one and I learned I cannot do a proper plank but I'm going to keep at it and give it my best.

Wishing everyone a brilliant, happy, and successful New Year!

worththeeffort2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #7  
I can do it!!!

Smile Happy New Year!

Fi: Take that walk!!! As Nike would say, "Just do it!" You will be glad you did!!! I am reading Brooke Castillo's book now.

mountain walker: Ups & Downs encompasses all of the ups and downs we all go through ~ with life in general, life on meds, bipolar (which some of us, including me, have been diagnosed with), weight fluctuations, etc.!!! So you belong here! Please tell us a little bit about yourself.....however much or little you want to write. We are all here to give and receive help in our weight loss journeys. So to our group! Glad you found us!

munchey: to you as well! It sounds like you have your hands full with challenges, but we are here to support you through it. You told us some of your challenges. I'd also like to hear about some of your blessings, too. Here's to more blessings for you and all of us in 2014!!!

I woke up with a bad migraine. Took my meds and I am going to eat a late lunch right now, so I have to run! Will check back in later! Hope everyone is having a great New Year's Day!
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM   #8  
I can do it!!!

Smile Yay Fiona!!!

Fi: I must have been writing my last message while you were posting yours, so I just now saw that YOU DID IT!!! Way to go on walking today!!! What a great way to start off the new year!!! I am so proud of you!

worththeeffort2: to our group! So glad you found us here! Good luck with that Brazen Fit 24-Day Ab Challenge!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I still have a terrible migraine, so I've just been taking medicine for it and laying around today. It is a hormonal migraine, and they are the most difficult to get rid of. I have a massage in the morning, thank God. That will help! But I am going to do my best to get some treadmill time in tonight, despite my throbbing head.

Did everyone make it on to the new January 2014 thread? Please post and at least say "I made it," so we know you are still with us!!!
Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #9  
rockin' my 60s!

Man am I sore today! I was complaining to my husband Bob that it didn't seem right to me that I should be so very sore, from only walking 1.5 miles. He said that since I'm about 150 lbs. overweight, what I did yesterday was comparable to carrying two 75 lb. bags of cement for a mile and a half. That helped me get some perspective!

I hope, Kathleen, that your headache is over now. I had migraines in my late 20s, early 30s, and then they mysteriously vanished. I used to hate the nausea & photophobia as much as the throbbing pain.

Best wishes to everyone else! If you're a lurker, won't you post and be friendly? This is a good place to get support.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #10  
Keeping it off

Height: 5" 2'

Hi,
Had a nice new year - watched the ball drop with husband and kiddos.
I struggle with my weight (have since I was a child) I have done alright lately but still need to lose about 20 pounds. I have major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder, both of which get worse in the winter - of course, right? I'm currently taking Effexor and Wellbutrin.
Goal for 2014 - be more active, more often. If I look back at my running log from last year I see a month where I ran 5 - 6 times a week followed by 2 months when I didn't run once. Cycles like this - probably follows my mood??... Treadmill tonight (it is -12 - brrr)

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you and sharing the love!
Run4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:33 PM   #11  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hello and Happy New Year!

I started the January Exercise thread here http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/depr...ml#post4909422 love to have others post their exercise there too

Fi, my motivation to work out isn't even consciously for calorie burn or weight loss; it's for daily functional fitness, for lugging groceries, helping a friend move boxes, crawling into my car through the seats when a car door is frozen and keeping strong abs for keeping my back not hurting when I'm at work.

HI and to the newbies! and I love that abs challenge! wow.

Been out of control with eating Christmas goodies; I threw out the cinnamon muffins I was eating daily; tossed remaining chocolate into the back of the freezer; and am currently NOT eating a piece of toast with peanut butter even though I want it!
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:38 AM   #12  
Keeping it off

Height: 5" 2'

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermontMom View Post

Been out of control with eating Christmas goodies; I threw out the cinnamon muffins I was eating daily; tossed remaining chocolate into the back of the freezer; and am currently NOT eating a piece of toast with peanut butter even though I want it!
I had to toss stuff still on the counter too. I just couldn't bear seeing it there anymore and was wasting on hard, old fudge and cookies. Gone. Done.
Run4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 02:29 PM   #13  
I can do it!!!

Smile Welcome!!!

Run4three and tiredoftears: Glad you found us and posted!

Fi: Hopefully, your soreness is a "good sore," where you know you've worked your body without overdoing it. You are doing great!!! Keep it up! I have battled this migraine for 3 days now. They come in clusters. Thankfully, it is at bay for now. Despite the migraine and tummy rumbles, I was able to walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes and then work out with my trainer for an hour. YAY ME!!! It feels good to be an active exerciser now! I am approaching the exercise as being good for my health and I trust that the weight loss will follow. Regardless, it is definitely good for my mood and self-esteem, too! My 14-yr-old daughter, with Spina Bifida, has been working very hard on her exercise and eating, too, especially so far this new year. She inspires me to keep on going!!! Love that girl!!!

Holly: Great to hear from you!!! I will check out your January exercise thread. I am keeping a log of my eating and exercise in a journal, but maybe I will post there as well.

Did everyone else make it to our January thread? Trish? saraphin? Any other newbies? Please post an update when you get a chance! We are a team and here to support one another through both our ups and our downs!!!
Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 198/190/135

Height: 5'6

Hello everyone - After a hiatus, I am back online and happy to find this immediately! Fi- congratulations on your walk, that is great and sounds like a beautiful park. I have been struggling very much lately, with eating, anxiety and depression, and also I have been having new nerve pains in my foot on occasion. I spent most of the last 2 weeks hiding under a blanket. I am trying to be hopeful for the new year, but seem to find little faith in myself lately. I have been considering a career change, but have yet to talk to my SO about it, since it would mean a drastic reduction in pay and loss of benefits. It would allow me the opportunity to be more active and I would have time to pursue my personal dream. We shall see.
My personal goals for the year are: Eat more raw vegetables and less simple carbs! Also, find the appropriate calorie intake for my size, and stick to it.

Thats it for now, wonderful to come back out from under the blanket.
Chelsea
CDubsGotGoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 209/191/135

Height: 5 foot 6

Hi everyone! I've been on 3FC a few times in the past and have been making some good weight progress since October despite terrible issues with my GAD!

I was on lexapro for almost 5 years and in the long run gained around 80 ish pounds. Since going off I have lost 17 ish pounds with not too much effort and am now on a new drug Viibryd that doesn't seem to be causing the same weight issues.

Only issue now is that my GAD is not yet under control. I've been on this new med for about a month now but we've had to mess with the dose a few times so I'm still deciding if this dose I'm on now is going to be effective. I HATE the medication struggles....I just want something to work plain and simple with no crazy side-effect!

I'm working with my therapist on positive ways to DISTRACT from the obsessive anxieties (psych says my anxieties lead towards OCD tendencies). And hoping that focusing on positive improvement in my weight and exercise habits will be a wonderful distraction and good thing to be focused on.

Will check back in with you all later. Hope you have a wonderful Friday.....my morning/night was tough waking up middle of the night and obsessing too much to fall back to sleep, but I'm trying to see positives right now and say today will be a good day.
LawGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote