Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:40 PM   #1  
2nd time around-er

Default Microwave pork rinds

does anyone else eat Lawrey's or other brand microwave pork rinds?

they have become one of my favorite foods, completely replacing any desire for popcorn, chips, or something crunchy.

i do not like the bagged pork rinds - i always find them to be slightly greasy/oily and stink, plus i don't think they taste good. but the microwave ones come out totally dry, puffy and crunchy, and even the plain ones taste really good to me.

i haven't done anything creative with them or cooked with them yet but am looking at some recipes and feeling a little brave.
i do eat them with nalley's ranch dip sometimes, and love that.

i didn't eat them the first time around on atkins, but have found them to be a really great thing now. i always craved something crunchy before and tended to eat too many nuts.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #2  
Movin' and Losin'

Wow! I'm the complete opposite of you! I love the bagged pork rinds. I tried some of the microwaveable pork rinds recently and really didn't like them at all. They had a funny/different taste to them.

Pork rinds are great for breading on meats. I like to make fried chicken with them. Sometimes I'll add some powdered ranch dressing to the pork rinds for ranch fried chicken! Also, Karen gave me the great idea to use the hot and spicy pork rinds to make buffalo chicken strips! I made them last night and added a little hot sauce, and they were fantastic!

Gotta love pork rinds!

Last edited by jdoggmartin; 01-07-2004 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:49 PM   #3  
Head Princess

I go through pork rind "phases". I love Gram's Grourmet Cinnamon & Splenda pork rinds, but don't eat them very often. I also use them as breading sometimes and there's a recipe on www.lowcarbluxury.com for french toast made from crushed pork rinds that's supposed to taste so good they'd fool your mother!
Old 01-08-2004, 03:19 PM   #4  
The Princess O' Pets

I am afraid of pork rinds!!! I don't know what it is about them that makes me cringe! But I could see how they would be good for breading, so I will have to try it.

I have never seen micrwave pork rinds???? What section of the store are they in??
Old 01-08-2004, 03:20 PM   #5  
Head Princess

Either near the popcorn or near the beef jerky.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:22 PM   #6  
NO JUNK FOOD ZONE!

I swore I would never eat a pork rind....well just because what they are made of. But when I do get that craving for crunchy - it does work. Even funnier is that my 18 month old dd - who won't eat ANYTHING except chocolate....she LOVES pork rinds! She will grab the bag and munch away. Now I've got to look for the micro ones. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:49 PM   #7  
Mom, Queen of Everything

Pork rinds have saved me MANY an evening when my need to have something crunchy started to overtake my desire to lose weight! Yup, I thought they were kind of gross sounding too, but hey....whatever works!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I had NEVER thought of using them as breading for frying. Wish now I hadn't eaten dinner already. Oh well, tomorrow is another day!
Closed Thread